Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 5, 2024, 1:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open Letter on Evil
Open Letter on Evil
Any thoughts on this: Open Letter on Evil

The letter invited responses. Here was my own:

Quote:Chris,

Intriguing letter on the problem of evil. I'm a former believer, and while the problem of evil was a convincing reason not to believe, it wasn't my only reason for making the decision.

From that standpoint, I can, perhaps, offer a clue into what I suspect many of my former churchgoers might say in response, and it runs parallel to Platinga's case: God would not create a being without free will because he wants us to choose to be good to each other and, most importantly, choose to believe in Him. Believers, I think, would say that God was not interested in creating slaves or robots or mindless followers. Man absolutely needed to be able to make up his own mind on whether to believe in his creator, or else, we are zombies. I, to the contrary, think that creating a perfect, or at least, better, environment for humans, and stamping out evil at every turn (immediately stopping the rapist before the act occurred, for instance), would not be outside the grasp of a truly all-powerful god. It would surely present a better case for his existence rather than utter silence in the face of untold anguish and misery down through the ages.

Of course, I can take it a step further: If God created us, and knew that evil would be introduced into the world and knew that he was introducing us, without our input, into some spiritual chess match between good and evil (God and Satan, or whatever other unknown dichotomy might be at play), and then demanding we make choice between him and eternal fire, then we are and were never really free. Free will, if you believe in a divine creator and in his allowance of evil into the world, is an illusion in my view.

Or, as Christopher Hitchens likes to say, from the believers standpoint, we are made sick and commanded to be made well. This is not free will. And I think believers are wrong in making such claims unless the claim is only from deism. In that case, it may be possible to have true free will without the threat of an intervening god throwing us down to pits of perdition for not choosing correctly.
Our Daily Train blog at jeremystyron.com

---
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea | By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown | Till human voices wake us, and we drown. — T.S. Eliot

"... man always has to decide for himself in the darkness, that he must want beyond what he knows. ..." — Simone de Beauvoir

"As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself—so like a brother, really—I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again." — Albert Camus, "The Stranger"
---
RE: Open Letter on Evil
Indeed. The formal FWD of Platinga has been refuted esp the consistency of transworld depravity with gods attributes. But again this is a problem of theisms own making. The simpleexplanation for evil is that we are evolved animals who still have savage instincts living on a hazardous planet in a hostile universe. The reallycomplicated and hard to understand explanation is that we are the object of the design of an all loving god in a fine tuned universe etc. Mackie and others have argued that it is also consistent that god could have created a world without suffering and with free will. But for me the argument from theists centres around that we don't understand gods masterplan so we can't criticize. But god has clearly done it before by instantiating Eden and heaven as possible worlds where people freely believe in a world of no suffering. Finally the theistic defence works at least as well if not better if god was all evil creating a world where he urged people to evil but let them choose good. It's clearly a problem for theism and makes atheism more likely.
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"...Doug McLeod.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evil God and anti-theodicy FrustratedFool 32 2570 August 21, 2023 at 9:28 am
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Do people make evil? Interaktive 7 728 August 8, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Atheism, Gnosticism & the Problem of Evil Seax 86 6082 April 7, 2021 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  [Serious] Good vs Evil Losty 84 10438 March 8, 2021 at 4:33 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Bishop setting up group to fight off 'evil forces' and recite prayers of exorcism Marozz 14 2594 October 11, 2018 at 5:19 am
Last Post: OakTree500
  Why some humans are so evil: double standards and irreligion WinterHold 124 20454 January 28, 2018 at 5:38 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Why the Texas shooting is not evil, based on the bible Face2face 56 15635 November 16, 2017 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  The forces of good and evil are related Foxaèr 11 3579 October 2, 2017 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  The Problem of Evil combined with the problem of Free Will Aroura 163 45847 June 5, 2017 at 8:54 am
Last Post: Drich
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 20987 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis