Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 3:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mind over matter?
Mind over matter?
If the theistic god is conceived as the uncaused firstcause that is also an incorporeal mind, a conciousness outside of time and space then it cannot and does not exist. As a conciousness it would have existed without there being any time, space, matter or energy. Therefore at one point god could only be concious of it's own conciousness. This is impossibly incoherent as there is nothing external to this mind it cannot be confident of it's own existence. Taking humankind as an example, we are only aware of ourselves with reference to things or others around us. To assert otherwise is like saying conciousness is concious of conciousness is concious of conciousness...ad infinitum
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"...Doug McLeod.
RE: Mind over matter?
Heard of "I think therefore I am"?

Yet another epic fail Scarlet.
(September 7, 2010 at 5:31 pm)theVOID Wrote: Heard of "I think therefore I am"?
Yet another epic fail Scarlet.
Yes Rene Descartes (a strong catholic) and his failed philosophy. It is a meningless soundbite VOID.
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"...Doug McLeod.
Actually it is rather potent to those who take the time to think deeply. Wink
(September 8, 2010 at 10:12 am)Captain Scarlet Wrote: Yes Rene Descartes (a strong catholic) and his failed philosophy. It is a meningless soundbite VOID.

Why is such a simple idea a failed philosophy? Even solopsists can't dispute it? Also, careful about poisoning the well. The fact that he's a Catholic doesn't mean he might not be right about other things.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Whilst it's probably a little extreme to claim Descartes' proposition "Je pense donc je suis'' * as a failed philosophy,there have been some serious critiques. Notably from Soren Kierkegaard and Bernard Williams.

Descartes' proposition is widely accepted and considered crucial in the development of western philosophy.That makes his ideas of value and worthy of study,it does not make them true necessarily. To argue something is true because it has not been proved to be false or false because it has not been proved to be true is a common logical fallacy,argument from ignorance.This was expressed pithily by Carl Sagan as "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence".

*Descartes wrote in French,not Latin.
Padriac, one thinking is proof of one thinking, it is not a statement that depends on not being disproved, such as the God belief, so i don't see why that Sagan quote is in any way relevent in this conversation.
(September 9, 2010 at 7:56 pm)theVOID Wrote: Padriac, one thinking is proof of one thinking, it is not a statement that depends on not being disproved, such as the God belief, so i don't see why that Sagan quote is in any way relevent in this conversation.

I was replying to this point by Deist Paladin
Quote:Why is such a simple idea a failed philosophy? Even solopsists can't dispute it?

I read that as implying that Descartes' argument is true because it has not been proved to be false. Not entirely sure that using solipists is an appeal to relevant authority as I think solipism could reasonably be described as a failed philosophy.

However,I'm a dilettante,not a philosopher,so am happy to be corrected if I've made an error in reason.
While describing belief in dismissive context, you have stumbled close to the answer. This reality exists as God experiencing herself, ad infinium. I think that is the point.

Descartes was not failed in the sense that we have somehow disproven "I think...", but in the sense that Scepticism is not the New World Orders state philosophy.
"God created the rules, so of course he can bypass them, God exists in a realm beyond time and space. You cannot fathom his greatness"

Aaaaand you lose.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on mind miaharun 19 1014 March 3, 2022 at 11:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Satirical logic for the atheistic mind Drich 158 18106 June 13, 2018 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Dark matter kicks ass again. Please watch. ignoramus 3 922 June 4, 2018 at 11:29 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  "I refuse to change my mind" Socrates 41 6091 March 2, 2017 at 4:39 am
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Religion - The Poison For Human Mind (VIDEO) BLuex 1 1188 December 20, 2015 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The Holy Horseshit...No Matter Who Wrote It...Is The Problem Minimalist 7 4024 December 12, 2015 at 1:14 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Theists: Can god read my mind? robvalue 27 6425 July 25, 2015 at 8:47 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Does your God Only Live in your Mind? Salacious B. Crumb 2 1635 May 2, 2015 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb
Wink I change my mind there is a god and he is Great! là bạn điên 11 3541 January 23, 2014 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: EgoRaptor
  Freeing the mind slaves Jacob(smooth) 52 12425 December 17, 2013 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: Whateverist