Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"God doesn't Exist just like Unicorns don't Exist?"
"God doesn't Exist just like Unicorns don't Exist?"
I'm not entirely understanding this.

Some atheists equate the probability of the existence of God to the probability of the existence of Unicorns. I understand this is because both of the supernatural creatures have no evidence of their existence and thus are extremely improbable, but some atheists use the "unicorn" argument for the justification for them saying God doesn't exist. Isn't that more of a cop-out? Thanks in advance.
RE: "God doesn't Exist just like Unicorns don't Exist?"
Difference is what?
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
(December 20, 2016 at 11:28 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: Difference is what?

Difference between what?
Exactly.

To try to answer, the claim that gods don't exist is a truth claim, and since supernatural crap is unfalsifiable, you can't prove that gods don't exist, which makes the claim unjustifiable by the marginal technicallity that even if you're right, you're only right by circumstance, not because you proved it. Which is why I don't make the claim, though I am thinking it very loudly.
(December 20, 2016 at 11:40 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: Exactly.

To try to answer, the claim that gods don't exist is a truth claim, and since supernatural crap is unfalsifiable, you can't prove that gods don't exist, which makes the claim unjustifiable by the marginal technicallity that even if you're right, you're only right by circumstance, not because you proved it. Which is why I don't make the claim, though I am thinking it very loudly.

Fair enough.
Glad to be of service.
The Bible says that Unicorns are real.
The Bible says that God is real.

I'm seeing a pattern here...
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Also that.
I don't think anything in the bible is worth a shit.
Well, I think the point is that when someone says, "Unicorns don't exist", what they really mean is, "There is absolutely no credible evidence that Unicorns do exist, and as such it's perfectly reasonable to carry on like they don't exist". The same shorthand is applicable to "God", especially any very specific variety.

The point is also that people don't expect all these caveats with regard to unicorns, but they do with gods.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 974 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 5945 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  "You just want to be your own god"? zwanzig 48 4229 July 7, 2021 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Why God doesn't stop satan? purplepurpose 225 14142 June 28, 2021 at 1:52 pm
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 2879 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
  How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? randomguy123 50 5616 August 14, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5091 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Not religious doesn't necessarily mean atheist John V 99 17202 November 8, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Being An Atheist Doesn't Make You A Good Person mlmooney89 38 6920 September 7, 2017 at 10:29 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  I'd like to ask my fellow atheists if they would be happy to learn there was a god. Whateverist 88 16074 September 4, 2017 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Astonished