Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
But You Can Bet Your Ass The Football Team Is Fully Funded!
But You Can Bet Your Ass The Football Team Is Fully Funded!
http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/23/pf/colle...index.html

Quote:Louisiana college students are about to lose half their scholarship money

Quote: Across the country, tuition is going up faster than family's incomes while state funding has declined.
But the cuts in Louisiana are more severe. Its funding for public colleges has fallen 39% since 2008, more than almost any other state, according to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.
Meanwhile, tuition rose an average of $3,500 in Louisiana during that time period.
It shouldn't have been a surprise that TOPS was the next domino to fall. The state is facing an historic $600 million budget shortfall and needed an emergency legislative session last year to fix the state's finances. It was at that time in the spring when lawmakers said TOPS would not be fully funded for the 2016-2017 school year.

And why does Louisiana have such budget problems?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...m-and-fast

Quote:Facing a $1.1 Billion Budget Shortfall, Louisiana Needs Tax Reform and Fast

Because they are challenging Kansas for state tax stupidity.

But as long as there is football...................
RE: But You Can Bet Your Ass The Football Team Is Fully Funded!
...because the football team fully funds itself and many of the other teams, and the general scholarship fund on campus through ticket sales and merchandising and alumni donations.

Your infantile hatred of sports, even when it's completely unrelated, fuels my gloating. Big Grin
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Since you don't like facts you'll probably hate this.

http://www.ethosreview.org/intellectual-...rofitable/

Quote: Football student-athletes receive the lion’s share of a university’s funds, while only rarely do football teams generate revenue that supports non-athletic students.  Usually, as recent reports suggest is the case at Berkeley, football is housed within the university at the expense of academics.  Students pay more tuition while administrators feel caught in the double bind of a “spending race” with other schools.  The truth is that diminishing research budgets, the administrative erosion of the tenure system, the economic efficiency of adjunct labor, and rising tuition costs all subsidize the American college football system.

But, fuck.  Who cares as long as drunken football fans can tail-gate at six home games per year?
Lol. Yes. Only rarely do football teams generate enough revenue.

But LSU is not that team, Min. You quoted and article about Louisiana, and the only football program there that anyone cares about is LSU. That's what I was talking about.

Yeah, this sucks for college students in Red states, but to talk about Baton Rouge State's football team doesn't make any sense. Football programs that are that small don't take that much money, and every one of them strives to be a major program in ten years.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Louisiana happens to be the state where tuition is rising because the sleazebags who run the state stripped funding for it.  And don't give me any shit about how "football" will make up the difference.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/sto...ball-coach

Quote:A source told ESPN's Brett McMurphy that LSU decided to go with Orgeron because it "wasn't going to be held hostage [while Herman negotiated with other schools]. ... In the end, they chose the guy who wanted the job and not the guy who wanted the money."

The Advocate reported Saturday that Orgeron's deal is for five years, with yet-to-be finalized financials expected to be $3 million to $4 million per year.

Plus he has a shitload of Assistant coaches who make an equivalent barrel full of money.

But, hey.... the fucking president of LSU only makes $600,000 and he's apparently overpaid!

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/n...89e12.html

Quote:With a $600,000 annual salary, LSU President and Chancellor F. King Alexander ranks in the top 10 percent of public university presidents in the nation in base pay.

You know, when Penn St got punished by the NCAA because they covered up Sandusky's raping of children - where was the NCAA when the catholics needed punishing - one of the things they stripped them of was  a whole shitload of athletic "scholarships."  I think the number I recall was 40.  You know, I found myself wondering how many scholarships the physics department got?  Somehow, I doubt it was that many.

And people wonder why 'Murrica ranks 17th in the number of scientists it graduates.

But we lead the world in corner backs!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  But.. But.... But..... onlinebiker 25 1558 May 6, 2022 at 10:27 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Stacey Abramns Kicks Ass..... Brian37 3 517 April 22, 2021 at 9:22 am
Last Post: brewer
  " I helped nab Bin Laden , but can't wear a mask". Brian37 39 2259 August 23, 2020 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  [Serious] Can you sew? Can you save a life? Gawdzilla Sama 30 2584 April 5, 2020 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  An ass from the past...... Brian37 13 1476 August 29, 2019 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Heineken pulls sponsorship from sports team Brian37 0 259 May 31, 2019 at 11:31 am
Last Post: Brian37
  [Serious] America can you pls stop meddling in countries you have no busienss in. Cepheus Ace 44 2488 March 26, 2019 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Always bet on black, new SDNY incoming AG Brian37 2 413 December 12, 2018 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  NFL Team Considering Former US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice for Head Coach Seraphina 10 1268 November 18, 2018 at 9:56 pm
Last Post: CarveTheFive
  Great Businessman My Ass. Minimalist 27 3768 July 16, 2018 at 12:29 am
Last Post: Cecelia