Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AF "Mafia" Forum Game (PSA for people who have no idea what it is)
AF "Mafia" Forum Game (PSA for people who have no idea what it is)
For a few years now, there's been a small group of people who have their own subforum for playing "Mafia" games. They usually keep to themselves, though you may have noticed the forum or even seen people chat about "Mafia" and wondered what was up.

Well, Mafia is a forum based game that is a mixture of strategy and luck, and is quite a lot of fun. The game takes place in a single thread, and the aim of the game is to figure out which of the players are "mafia" / "scum" and which are "town". Every day phase (which usually lasts 24 hours), everyone votes in the thread for who they think is playing as a member of the mafia, and at the end of the day, the person with the most votes gets lynched and they are either revealed as "town" or "mafia". Then there is a 24 hour night phase, where the members of the mafia (who are aware of each other) choose a member of town to kill. The game continues in day phases and night phases until either all the mafia are lynched, or the mafia outnumber the town.

That is the general gist of the game, however there are plenty of variations, and some players may have secret roles that give them abilities they can either use during the day or the night. For example, a player with the "Cop" ability can investigate a player each night, and will learn whether that player is "town" or "not town". A player with the "Doctor" ability can choose to protect a player at night, and if that player is the target of the mafia's night kill, they won't die. There are plenty of other weird roles that the game mods invent and come up with.

Some of the games (more often than not these days) are themed, which means that each player is given a character that matches the theme (for example we just had a game with the theme being Babylon 5).

The reason I'm making this thread is because we want to run some good sized games (13+ players) and we are unfortunately lacking in the player department at the moment. So I thought I'd at least give a basic overview of the game, and invite any people who are interested in playing to contact either myself or Losty, and we can give you access to the sub-forum where the games are played. Current players can also tell you how much fun it is, if you needed more convincing. In each game there is a small time commitment during the "day" phase (when everyone can post in the game thread) but as long as you check semi-frequently and make a few posts, respond to comments, vote for the player to be lynched, etc. it's not a time suck.

There are more resources and explanations / guides here: http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Main_Page
RE: AF "Mafia" Forum Game (PSA for people who have no idea what it is)
If you really want to get to know other people, come learn how they are when they lie to you... Big Grin Dodgy Tongue

A word of caution: couples should not play this sort of games, as they may find out that their partner is a damn good liar... and unleash all the mistrust that may entail.
OMG this game is as addicting as, bacon.

Or chocolate.
Or coffee.

Or sex.

You people NEED to join us.

Come to the dark side.

Now. Dammit.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Join us, we need fresh blood. Be prepared to have yourself lynched, after me that is. Big Grin

You only have to sell your soul.
Let me put it this way: If you are tired of all the usual theistic arguments throwned ad nauseum, and you need to wait untill they give proper proof, play Mafia. If you are tired of Trump threads, its the place to go.
I think half of my posts are from the Mafia subforum. I love playing it. It can be daunting at first, but once you get the hang of it it's incredible fun.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
[Image: no-effin-way.gif]
(January 3, 2017 at 6:02 pm)Shell B Wrote: [Image: no-effin-way.gif]

It is also an exercise in clarity, using English. I would truly love to play a game with you Shell. I like challenges, but for what you said on other threads, I understand. Mafia is the horror of persons with OCD.

I find myself going always for the trial by fire.
Perhaps we could modify the terminology a little bit for Shell... just for a little while and just to help her settle in. Instead of:

VOTE: lynch Emjay

It could be:

Ohhhh this is awesome. Get the head honcho involved and *poof* things start improving! I love that you are getting so involved Tiberius *hugs*

But yes if you haven't played or haven't played in a long while y'all should check us out. I know it looks overwhelming but you get sucked in, you really do!
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stuff you have done (that most people haven' t) onlinebiker 54 4014 October 4, 2022 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  We should have a forum event Foxaèr 9 726 August 31, 2022 at 8:51 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Should poor people have kids? BrokenQuill92 78 4939 November 29, 2019 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Maybe Vaping isn't a great idea. onlinebiker 9 1124 September 1, 2019 at 10:18 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  [split] PSA: Hate Speech (discussion of video etc) Huggy Bear 223 6883 May 3, 2019 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I had no idea my ex wife was in the neighborhood onlinebiker 3 511 January 21, 2019 at 9:35 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why is there people who bother people for no reason? Macoleco 6 969 October 2, 2018 at 6:51 am
Last Post: Cod
  For the older people of the forum...... Foxaèr 45 4643 August 24, 2018 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  An idea for a thread series GrandizerII 13 1519 December 30, 2017 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Going to have to leave the forum for a while Foxaèr 16 1606 November 3, 2017 at 3:22 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist