Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proof of God
Proof of God
This thread is for the purpose of addressing some the questions typically raised by atheists: Who or what is God? What demonstrable evidence can be presented for the existence of God? If God exists, why doesn't he prove it?

The Bible is a very good place to provide a good answer. In fact, one Bible verse covers it very well. In 21st century English, the passage reads...

"...what may be known about God is clearly evident among them, for God made it clear to them.  For his invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship,..." (Romans 1:19, 20).

Thus perception plays a very important part in trying to offer an explanation concerning the Creator.

"You can't prove that there is a God."

This kind of statement ignores that there are different kinds of 'proof'.

"Can you prove that there is a God?" asked Prof Lennox. "In the mathematical sense no, but proving anything is very difficult. The word proof has two meanings. There's the rigorous meaning in maths that is very difficult to do and rare. But then there's the other meaning – beyond reasonable doubt".

That's the kind of 'proof' we can present: arguments to bring someone beyond reasonable doubt.

Many, perhaps most, atheists would accept as proof of the existence of God only evidence they can see, feel, touch and take apart and reassemble in a laboratory setting. And, of course, that lab would have to be only where they would have unfettered access.

So, let us reason a bit.

How would I liken the Creator? Perhaps by looking at the problem in reverse. Let's look at the problem from God's point of view.

In Isaiah is a fitting description of the problem and with an element of reason comes understanding.

"There is One who dwells above the circle of the earth,
And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers...." Isaiah 40:22

Could you rightly expect a grasshopper to fully explain a human being or human accomplishments like the Hubble space telescope? Or would you be humble enough to learn grasshopper speech and befriend them? Sounds foolish, correct? That is the dilemma.

Further on this line of thought is the difference between humans and chimpanzees is about one percent of DNA. On that scale what would a creature be like who was one percent greater than humans in their DNA? If their intellect would follow the same scale, could we ever hope to understand them? Much less be on par with them? And yet God is orders of magnitude greater than chimpanzees or grasshopper-like humans.

And here is one item we all see without any understanding. Something so basic it has no record anywhere in the Bible as having been created. And that even though many think it is listed among the creations attributed to God. And what is that? LIFE.

The Bible tells us this at Psalm 36:9 simply that the 'source of life is God'. Much has been hypothesized about life. Some have speculated about life having a chemical nature. Some have claimed that by assembling certain molecules together they have created life. But when pressed, they admit they can not and did not create life. It cannot be disassembled and reassembled. Some have speculated that life is a form of energy as yet not understood.

And there is God. If we go back to Romans 1:20 we see it speaks about the creation as giving us insight into God. So look at the creation. Focus on Isaiah 40:25, 26. "To whom can you liken me to make me his equal?” says the Holy One.

26 “Lift up your eyes to heaven and see. Who has created these things?
It is the One who brings out their army by number; He calls them all by name.
Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power, Not one of them is missing."

Science today admit every star fulfills a purpose. Did you know we ourselves are star stuff? And even the super heavy elements seem to come from the collision of neutron stars. So not even a single star is missing.

Science also tells us eventually the universe itself will run down. Over 3000 years ago the Psalmist spoke of an immense maintenance project needed to fix the universe itself. Read for yourself Psalm 102:25-27. Makes for very interesting reading.

Oh. And DNA; Look at Psalm 139:16. "Your eyes even saw me as an embryo; All its parts were written in your book Regarding the days when they were formed, Before any of them existed.' Written more than 3,000 years before we had amassed enough knowledge on our own to understand, how would you explain that passage?

So, for a lowly human to define in human terms a being vastly more complex with knowledge and the ability to make and use forces beyond our comprehension, is at best an exercise in futility.

But a few things I do know. The Bible provides compelling evidence that God exists. It encourages us to build faith in God, not by blindly believing religious assertions, but by using our “power of reason” and “mental perception.”

The existence of an orderly universe containing life points to a Creator.

The Bible says: “Of course, every house is constructed by someone, but the one who constructed all things is God.” (Hebrews 3:4)

Although this logic is simple, many well-educated people find it to be powerful. For example, the late astronomer Allan Sandage once said regarding the universe: “I find it quite improbable that such order came out of chaos. There has to be some organizing principle. God to me is a mystery, but is the explanation for the miracle of existence, why there is something instead of nothing.”

Bible writers had scientific knowledge that was beyond the understanding of their contemporaries. For example, in ancient times many peoples believed that the earth was supported by an animal, such as an elephant, a boar, or an ox. In contrast, the Bible says that God is “suspending the earth upon nothing.” (Job 26:7) Similarly, the Bible correctly describes the shape of the earth as a “sphere,” or “globe. or circle (Isaiah 40:22) Many people feel that the most reasonable explanation for such advanced understanding is that Bible writers received their information from God.

The Bible answers many difficult questions, the type of questions that when not satisfactorily answered can lead a person to atheism. For example: If God is loving and all-powerful, why is there suffering and evil in the world? Why is Religion so often an influence for bad rather than for good? See Titus 1:6 Could it be the unsatisfactory answers to questions has caused you to be where you are?

So have I completely answered the questions posed? Probably not. However, at the same time, I hope I have made a good start and raised questions that honest, open-minded individuals will seek answers to.

You can ask me and I promise to try and answer your questions using reason, logic and the Bible. I like a good challenge.
RE: Proof of God
Hi Bob! Welcome...
It's very late here in Au ...I'll read it tomorrow. It sounds fascinating!
I need to go to bed!!!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Bob: When Jesus went to heaven why did he go up?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(January 18, 2017 at 7:41 am)B0B Wrote: This thread is for the purpose of addressing some the questions typically raised by atheists: Who or what is God? What demonstrable evidence can be presented for the existence of God? If God exists, why doesn't he prove it?

The Bible is a very good place to provide a good answer. In fact, one Bible verse covers it very well. In 21st century English, the passage reads...

"...what may be known about God is clearly evident among them, for God made it clear to them.  For his invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship,..." (Romans 1:19, 20).

Thus perception plays a very important part in trying to offer an explanation concerning the Creator.

"You can't prove that there is a God."

"Can you prove that there is a God?" asked Prof Lennox. "In the mathematical sense no, but proving anything is very difficult. The word proof has two meanings. There's the rigorous meaning in maths that is very difficult to do and rare. But then there's the other meaning – beyond reasonable doubt".

That's the kind of 'proof' we can present: arguments to bring someone beyond reasonable doubt.

Many, perhaps most, atheists would accept as proof of the existence of God only evidence they can see, feel, touch and take apart and reassemble in a laboratory setting. And, of course, that lab would have to be only where they would have unfettered access.

So, let us reason a bit.

How would I liken the Creator? Perhaps by looking at the problem in reverse. Let's look at the problem from God's point of view.

In Isaiah is a fitting description of the problem and with an element of reason comes understanding.

"There is One who dwells above the circle of the earth,
And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers...." Isaiah 40:22

Could you rightly expect a grasshopper to fully explain a human being or human accomplishments like the Hubble space telescope? Or would you be humble enough to learn grasshopper speech and befriend them? Sounds foolish, correct? That is the dilemma.

Further on this line of thought is the difference between humans and chimpanzees is about one percent of DNA. On that scale what would a creature be like who was one percent greater than humans in their DNA? If their intellect would follow the same scale, could we ever hope to understand them? Much less be on par with them? And yet God is orders of magnitude greater than chimpanzees or grasshopper-like humans.

And here is one item we all see without any understanding. Something so basic it has no record anywhere in the Bible as having been created. And that even though many think it is listed among the creations attributed to God. And what is that? LIFE.

The Bible tells us this at Psalm 36:9 simply that the 'source of life is God'. Much has been hypothesized about life. Some have speculated about life having a chemical nature. Some have claimed that by assembling certain molecules together they have created life. But when pressed, they admit they can not and did not create life. It cannot be disassembled and reassembled. Some have speculated that life is a form of energy as yet not understood.

And there is God. If we go back to Romans 1:20 we see it speaks about the creation as giving us insight into God. So look at the creation. Focus on Isaiah 40:25, 26. "To whom can you liken me to make me his equal?” says the Holy One.

It is the One who brings out their army by number; He calls them all by name.
Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power, Not one of them is missing."

Science today admit every star fulfills a purpose. Did you know we ourselves are star stuff? And even the super heavy elements seem to come from the collision of neutron stars. So not even a single star is missing.

Science also tells us eventually the universe itself will run down. Over 3000 years ago the Psalmist spoke of an immense maintenance project needed to fix the universe itself. Read for yourself Psalm 102:25-27. Makes for very interesting reading.

Oh. And DNA; Look at Psalm 139:16. "Your eyes even saw me as an embryo; All its parts were written in your book Regarding the days when they were formed, Before any of them existed.' Written more than 3,000 years before we had amassed enough knowledge on our own to understand, how would you explain that passage?

So, for a lowly human to define in human terms a being vastly more complex with knowledge and the ability to make and use forces beyond our comprehension, is at best an exercise in futility.

But a few things I do know. The Bible provides compelling evidence that God exists. It encourages us to build faith in God, not by blindly believing religious assertions, but by using our “power of reason” and “mental perception.”

The existence of an orderly universe containing life points to a Creator.

The Bible says: “Of course, every house is constructed by someone, but the one who constructed all things is God.” (Hebrews 3:4)

Although this logic is simple, many well-educated people find it to be powerful. For example, the late astronomer Allan Sandage once said regarding the universe: “I find it quite improbable that such order came out of chaos. There has to be some organizing principle. God to me is a mystery, but is the explanation for the miracle of existence, why there is something instead of nothing.”

Bible writers had scientific knowledge that was beyond the understanding of their contemporaries. For example, in ancient times many peoples believed that the earth was supported by an animal, such as an elephant, a boar, or an ox. In contrast, the Bible says that God is “suspending the earth upon nothing.” (Job 26:7) Similarly, the Bible correctly describes the shape of the earth as a “sphere,” or “globe. or circle (Isaiah 40:22) Many people feel that the most reasonable explanation for such advanced understanding is that Bible writers received their information from God.

The Bible answers many difficult questions, the type of questions that when not satisfactorily answered can lead a person to atheism. For example: If God is loving and all-powerful, why is there suffering and evil in the world? Why is Religion so often an influence for bad rather than for good? See Titus 1:6 Could it be the unsatisfactory answers to questions has caused you to be where you are?

So have I completely answered the questions posed? Probably not. However, at the same time, I hope I have made a good start and raised questions that honest, open-minded individuals will seek answers to.

You can ask me and I promise to try and answer your questions using reason, logic and the Bible. I like a good challenge.

Otherwise, Welcome Bob
[Image: tldr1.gif]

It works out much better when you make a thread about a single topic instead of every topic you've had in mind for the last 2 years.
Hey Bob your whole "proof", is using the claim to prove the claim, i.e. "I believe god exists, therefore god exists". It is no proof at all.

And some of it actually misrepresents the bible, for example your claim that Isiah 40:22 posits a spherical earth (actually it's an irregular oblate spheroid) is a flat out lie, the passage talks of "the circle of the earth" stating explicitly that the earth is flat.

One free piece of advice, Bob, before you come on here to "prove" god, make sure you know your own religion. Some of us are atheists precisely because we learned christianity.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
What is "God"? You don't seem to have covered that.

Why should I care about it?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 18, 2017 at 7:41 am)B0B Wrote: What demonstrable evidence can be presented for the existence of God? If God exists, why doesn't he prove it?...The Bible is a very good place to provide a good answer.

Well if it is then you would acknowledge these words are true:

Mark 16:17-18
And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.”

Jesus tells you that if you drink poison nothing will happen to you and same with handling deadly snakes. So to prove that God exist drink whole pint (or 0.5 liters) of Cyanide or Polonium or Arsenic while letting black mambas slither over your bare skin in front of cameras and unbiased people and I will believe you proved God exists. Remember, according to Jesus nothing will happen to you as long as you believe in him.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(January 18, 2017 at 7:41 am)B0B Wrote: This thread is for the purpose of addressing some the questions typically raised by aunicornists: Who or what is a Unicorn? What demonstrable evidence can be presented for the existence of Unicorns? If Unicorns exist, why don't they prove it?

The Sacred Book of Unicorns is a very good place to provide a good answer. In fact, one Sacred Book of Unicorns verse covers it very well. In 21st century English, the passage reads...

"...what may be known about Unicorns is clearly evident among them, for Unicorns made it clear to them.  For their invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even their eternal power and Cornship,..." (Unicorns 1:19, 20).

Thus perception plays a very important part in trying to offer an explanation concerning the Unicorns.

"You can't prove that there are Unicorns."

"Can you prove that there are Unicorns?" asked Prof Lennox. "In the mathematical sense no, but proving anything is very difficult. The word proof has two meanings. There's the rigorous meaning in maths that is very difficult to do and rare. But then there's the other meaning – beyond reasonable doubt".

Many, perhaps most, aunicornists would accept as proof of the existence of Unicorns only evidence they can see, feel, touch and take apart and reassemble in a laboratory setting. And, of course, that lab would have to be only where they would have unfettered access.

So, let us reason a bit.

How would I liken the Unicorns? Perhaps by looking at the problem in reverse. Let's look at the problem from the Unicorns' point of view.

In Unicorns 2 is a fitting description of the problem and with an element of reason comes understanding.

"There are Unicorns who dwell above the circle of the earth,
And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers...." Unicorns 2 40:22

Further on this line of thought is the difference between humans and chimpanzees is about one percent of DNA. On that scale what would a creature be like who was one percent greater than humans in their DNA? If their intellect would follow the same scale, could we ever hope to understand them? Much less be on par with them? And yet Unicorns are orders of magnitude greater than chimpanzees or grasshopper-like humans.

And here is one item we all see without any understanding. Something so basic it has no record anywhere in the Sacred Book of Unicorns as having been created. And that even though many think it is listed among the creations attributed to Unicorns. And what is that? LIFE.

The SBOU tells us this at Unicorns 2 36:9 simply that the 'source of life is Unicorns'. Much has been hypothesized about life. Some have speculated about life having a chemical nature. Some have claimed that by assembling certain molecules together they have created life. But when pressed, they admit they can not and did not create life. It cannot be disassembled and reassembled. Some have speculated that life is a form of energy as yet not understood.

And there are Unicorns. If we go back to Unicorns 1:20 we see it speaks about the creation as giving us insight into Unicorns. So look at the creation. Focus on Unicorns 2 40:25, 26. "To whom can you liken me to make me his equal?” say the Holy Unicorns.

It is the Ones who bring out their army by number; they call them all by name.
Because of their vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power, Not one of them is missing."

Science also tells us eventually the universe itself will run down. Over 3000 years ago the Unicornist spoke of an immense maintenance project needed to fix the universe itself. Read for yourself Unicorns 102:25-27. Makes for very interesting reading.

Oh. And DNA; Look at Unicorns 139:16. "Your eyes even saw me as an embryo; All its parts were written in your book Regarding the days when they were formed, Before any of them existed.' Written more than 3,000 years before we had amassed enough knowledge on our own to understand, how would you explain that passage?

But a few things I do know. The SBOU provides compelling evidence that Unicorns exist. It encourages us to build faith in Unicorns, not by blindly believing religious assertions, but by using our “power of reason” and “mental perception.”

The existence of an orderly universe containing life points to Unicorns.

The Sacred Book says: “Of course, every house is constructed by someone, but the ones who constructed all things are Unicorns.” (Hoofs 3:4)

Although this logic is simple, many well-educated people find it to be powerful. For example, the late astronomer Allan Sandage once said regarding the universe: “I find it quite improbable that such order came out of chaos. There has to be some organizing principle. Unicorns to me are a mystery, but is the explanation for the miracle of existence, why there is something instead of nothing.”

Sacred Book of Unicorns writers had scientific knowledge that was beyond the understanding of their contemporaries. For example, in ancient times many peoples believed that the earth was supported by an animal, such as an elephant, a boar, or an ox. In contrast, the Sacred Book says that Unicorns are “suspending the earth upon nothing.” (Hoofs 26:7) Similarly, the Sacred Book correctly describes the shape of the earth as a “sphere,” or “globe. or circle (Horns 40:22) Many people feel that the most reasonable explanation for such advanced understanding is that Sacred Book writers received their information from Unicorns.

The Sacred Book answers many difficult questions, the type of questions that when not satisfactorily answered can lead a person to aunicornism. For example: If Unicorns are loving and all-powerful, why is there suffering and evil in the world? Why is Religion so often an influence for bad rather than for good? See Mane 1:6 Could it be the unsatisfactory answers to questions has caused you to be where you are?

You can ask me and I promise to try and answer your questions using reason, logic and the Sacred Book. I like a good challenge.

Okay, fixed that monstrosity of yours.
“Love is the only bow on Life’s dark cloud. It is the morning and the evening star. It shines upon the babe, and sheds its radiance on the quiet tomb. It is the mother of art, inspirer of poet, patriot and philosopher.

It is the air and light of every heart – builder of every home, kindler of every fire on every hearth. It was the first to dream of immortality. It fills the world with melody – for music is the voice of love.

Love is the magician, the enchanter, that changes worthless things to Joy, and makes royal kings and queens of common clay. It is the perfume of that wondrous flower, the heart, and without that sacred passion, that divine swoon, we are less than beasts; but with it, earth is heaven, and we are gods.” - Robert. G. Ingersoll

I got as far as "The Bible is" and then switched off. Discussing that pile of shit bores the knackers off me. People who think their magic book is a god bore me even more.

I thought this thread was supposed to be about proof for a god, not a fucking book club. I must have got the wrong door.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proof at least one god is b.s. onlinebiker 10 1348 March 16, 2021 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Proof of God Existence faramirofgondor 39 8105 April 20, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Enlightened Ape
  Proof that God exists TheoneandonlytrueGod 203 46683 January 23, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Proof that God is not real? ComradeMeow 6 2484 August 5, 2017 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Astonished
Sad I am a theist, what do you think of my proof for God existing? Mariosep 1101 115096 December 12, 2016 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
Wink Proof that God(s) can not exist. way12go 19 6126 August 18, 2013 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Finally, proof there is no god! Tempus 6 5077 August 14, 2012 at 11:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  I have proof of God, from God Himself. MuslimBrother 13 7229 May 30, 2012 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Why do Athiests require 'proof' that God exists? JesusLover 220 82923 May 16, 2012 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Chaostheosis
  Proof of existence of God jain.rahul 21 10204 May 15, 2012 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Angrboda