Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is theism more rational in a pre-scientific context?
Question 
Is theism more rational in a pre-scientific context?
Let's say you're someone living in the pre-scientific era. Without knowing even the most basic findings of science that we have today, would theism be a more rational conclusion for someone to make to any degree? Is atheism less rational in this context?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Is theism more rational in a pre-scientific context?
I can understand why it would be more appealing back then, but it's still using an argument from ignorance.
I think that's initially where religion came from. Our ancestors had to have some way to explain what theycouldn.t understand.

Later it became a way to control peopke.
Dying to live, living to die.
(March 7, 2017 at 12:39 am)Jesster Wrote: I can understand why it would be more appealing back then, but it's still using an argument from ignorance.

This, essentially.

Less things having explanations for them does not equate to theism having more supporting evidence.
"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
  - A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
You have to give the boogie man a name and powers. Helps cope with the unknown. What's was that......... oh just the boogie man. Can't stop him, just deal with it and move on.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Also before logical fallacies were formalized. But I think our ancestors can be forgiven for being confused...dreams, hallucinations, schizophrenia, epilepsy, NDEs...all these things were terribly mysterious and certainly seemed to be beyond natural explanation at the time. Not to mention that pretty much everything else was just as inexplicable. Given the toolbox of our brains having a bias towards ascribing agency; I don't see how we would have avoided widespread belief in the supernatural. And of course, manipulating those beliefs is handy for social control.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Yes, of course.
But why now given what we know?
The world's driving around in electric cars but many/most still prefer a horse and cart!
It doesn't make sense.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Status of Global Christianity 2024: In Context of 1900-2050. JJoseph 25 1134 February 12, 2024 at 2:08 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Even if theism is a failure, it's still superior to atheism R00tKiT 491 36135 December 25, 2022 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Did Jesus want to create a poli-theism religion? Eclectic 83 6195 December 18, 2022 at 7:54 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Ignosticism, Theism, or Gnostic Atheism vulcanlogician 55 4125 February 1, 2022 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Rational Theism Foxaèr 17 5283 May 2, 2018 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Poverty and Theism Flavius 57 15694 April 25, 2017 at 9:56 am
Last Post: Shell B
  What is your specific level of Theism? ignoramus 26 3427 January 11, 2017 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Scientific evidence of God by an atheist (Where mankind is one likely type of God) ProgrammingGodJordan 324 49076 November 22, 2016 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Chas
  Atheism and Theism Comparison The Joker 86 12007 November 21, 2016 at 10:52 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Scientific PROOF that God Exists! ignoramus 14 3606 March 27, 2016 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi