Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ignosticism, Theism, or Gnostic Atheism
Ignosticism, Theism, or Gnostic Atheism
Which theory is most true? What shortcomings (if any) do these theories have? Is someone who hasn't decided on one of these theories "years ago" missing something? Or is the correctness of each theory not so clear?
RE: Ignosticism, Theism, or Gnostic Atheism
First we have to define 'gods', 'God' and 'deity'.
Schopenhauer Wrote:The intellect has become free, and in this state it does not even know or understand any other interest than that of truth.

Epicurus Wrote:The greatest reward of righteousness is peace of mind.

Epicurus Wrote:Don't fear god,
Don't worry about death;

What is good is easy to get,

What is terrible is easy to endure
No we don't. Not unless we are making truth-statements about things that do (or do not) exist. If I don't claim knowledge of something, I don't have to define it. That onus hangs on those who claim knowledge.
(January 23, 2022 at 10:37 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: No we don't.

Yes we do.

Quote: Not unless we are making truth-statements about things that do (or do not) exist.

All statements are truth statements about a thing or things' existence or existences.

Quote: If I don't claim knowledge of something, I don't have to define it.

We don't have to define it but it would lead to miscommunication if we did not.

Quote:That onus hangs on those who claim knowledge.

So, on nobody, then.
Schopenhauer Wrote:The intellect has become free, and in this state it does not even know or understand any other interest than that of truth.

Epicurus Wrote:The greatest reward of righteousness is peace of mind.

Epicurus Wrote:Don't fear god,
Don't worry about death;

What is good is easy to get,

What is terrible is easy to endure
Quote:Yes we do.
No, we don't 

Quote:All statements are truth statements about a thing or things' existence or existences.
Nope 

Quote:We don't have to define it but it would lead to miscommunication if we did not.
Not our problem 

Quote:So, on nobody, then.
No it falls on Gnostics because they claim to know
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Ignosticism (per Wikipedia):

Quote:Ignosticism or igtheism is the idea that the question of the existence of God is meaningless because the word "God" has no coherent and unambiguous definition

If ignosticism is accurately defined by the above, then my issue with it is that theists have been all too happy to provide definitions for God clear enough to have a debate about. Sure, after providing definitions, the concept of God may still appear to be very vague, but it is given properties and it is said to do and have done things, therefore one can then make an argument against God based on the properties and actions ascribed to it by the other side.

And both theism and [gnostic] atheism have their issues, of course.

There is a fourth position that I have been thinking of a lot lately and which I term "prototheism". A lot of the makings of a God are there, but God (in the full sense of the term typically conceptualized by classical theists) is not. Not to be confused with deism (which is still a belief in some personal God).

Ultimately, it's all very relative. There are multiple various definitions for the term "God", and what may be "God" to some people is not much of "God" to others. But this means there is a problem here with the standard definitions of the word "atheism". For pantheists, for example, God is basically the universe itself and nothing more (that's my understanding at least). Atheists accept the existence of the universe, does this mean they are not atheists per pantheism? Or is it that pantheism is not really considered theism? Maybe atheism isn't just a lack of belief in God, but also a lack of conceptualizing anything that exists as God?
(January 23, 2022 at 10:37 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: No we don't. Not unless we are making truth-statements about things that do (or do not) exist. If I don't claim knowledge of something, I don't have to define it. That onus hangs on those who claim knowledge.

In a sense the theologians, a long time ago, did an end run around any attempt we might make at a definition. 

You've no doubt heard of apophatic or negative theology, which simply states that God is so far beyond human understanding that any definition we attempted would be overly limited. Undefinable by definition, so to speak.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:"negative theology is as old as philosophy itself;" elements of it can be found in Plato's unwritten doctrines, while it is also present in Neo-Platonic, Gnostic and early Christian writers. A tendency to apophatic thought can also be found in Philo of Alexandria.[3]

According to Carabine, "apophasis proper" in Greek thought starts with Neo-Platonism, with its speculations about the nature of the One, culminating in the works of Proclus.[4] Carabine writes that there are two major points in the development of apophatic theology, namely the fusion of the Jewish tradition with Platonic philosophy in the writings of Philo, and the works of Pseudo-Dionysius the Areopagite, who infused Christian thought with Neo-Platonic ideas.[4]

The Early Church Fathers were influenced by Philo,[4] and Meredith even states that Philo "is the real founder of the apophatic tradition."[5] Yet, it was with Pseudo-Dionysius the Areopagite and Maximus the Confessor,[6] whose writings shaped both Hesychasm, the contemplative tradition of the Eastern Orthodox Churches, and the mystical traditions of western Europe, that apophatic theology became a central element of Christian theology and contemplative practice.[4]
Gnostic atheism, naturally. I don't see a problem with it, nor would I call it a theory. There are no gods, full stop.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I'd go with ignosticism - the idea that the question 'Does God exist' is inherently meaningless and can never be made meaningful. It's like asking 'What colour is Tuesday?'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Well Mondays are blue, so, Tuesdays are obviously fuchsia.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Even if theism is a failure, it's still superior to atheism R00tKiT 491 33557 December 25, 2022 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Did Jesus want to create a poli-theism religion? Eclectic 83 5915 December 18, 2022 at 7:54 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Rational Theism Foxaèr 17 5229 May 2, 2018 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Poverty and Theism Flavius 57 15364 April 25, 2017 at 9:56 am
Last Post: Shell B
Question Is theism more rational in a pre-scientific context? Tea Earl Grey Hot 6 1539 March 7, 2017 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  What is your specific level of Theism? ignoramus 26 3352 January 11, 2017 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Atheism and Theism Comparison The Joker 86 11921 November 21, 2016 at 10:52 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Solving the Ignosticism (is meant for ignostics) theBorg 40 3752 August 23, 2016 at 10:18 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Theism in animal minds watchamadoodle 14 3569 February 7, 2015 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Benefits of atheism and theism robvalue 9 2995 January 13, 2015 at 9:57 am
Last Post: robvalue