Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 3:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UN says largest humanitarian crisis since 1945
Quote: "...without collective and coordinated global efforts, people will simply starve to death" and "many more will suffer and die from disease."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/U...0-19-12-59

I don't think any of us want to see innocent people starve or die from preventable disease. But part of me has a problem with this. The aid needed is in four countries who are waging internal war. I know, I know, those that will suffer are not necessarily the ones continuing the conflict. 

Here is the question, my problem. If the world supplies the aid (and we certainly have the ability) will this in some way be subsidizing the conflicts? If the population begins to die off will there be additional internal pressure to stop the conflicts? If the world supplies the aid does this allow the conflicts to continue?

I don't even pretend to know what the conflicts are about. If they are for resources and supplying the aid will reduce/stop the fighting, then step up world. However, if it is political/religious/non resource related and aid is supplied, did the world just remove one/several reason(s) for the internal struggle to stop? Plus, will this create more conflict as the powerful within the countries seek to control the aid sent. 

Those in power that are causing the conflicts don't seem to be that concerned. Quote: "...all parties to the conflict are arbitrarily denying sustained humanitarian access and politicize aid," he said, warning if that behavior doesn't change now "they must be held accountable for the inevitable famine, unnecessary deaths and associated amplification in suffering that will follow."

This always causes me internal conflict. Maybe I'm just an ass.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: UN says largest humanitarian crisis since 1945
Quote:I know, I know, those that will suffer are not necessarily the ones continuing the conflict.

And the ones who benefit will not be the ones suffering, either.  Throwing money at problems rarely solves them.
(March 10, 2017 at 9:46 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Throwing money at problems rarely solves them.
That sounds Republican.
(March 10, 2017 at 9:41 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Plus, will this create more conflict as the powerful within the countries seek to control the aid sent. 

I'm not sure about most of the questions, but I know for a fact that shit like this does happen. Just to use one example, in 1972, Managua, the capital of Nicaragua, was hit by a devastating earthquake, and, despite a huge outpouring of relief and charity, a good-sized portion of it still has yet to be rebuilt, largely because the nation's de facto president Anastasio Somoza Debayle wound up pocketing the vast majority of it, including most of the funds, and even sold the blood plasma that had been donated (and not even considered for use) because, apparently, embezzlement wasn't enough for him.

And this isn't even close to the only time this happens, especially given that in 2011, Wikileaks cables showed a lot of foreign aid to African countries ends up squarely in the pockets of corrupt governments. There is no reason to believe it won't happen again.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(March 11, 2017 at 12:14 am)KUSA Wrote:
(March 10, 2017 at 9:46 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Throwing money at problems rarely solves them.
That sounds Republican.

No, that just sounds pragmatic.To sound republican one has to also say "but throwing money instead at rich fuckers will always solve any problem, and if it doesn't, throw money at the rich fuckers anyway and fuck the problem"
(March 11, 2017 at 12:14 am)KUSA Wrote:
That sounds Republican.

What are you shitting me?  The motherfuckers plan to throw billions at the richest shits in the country to make health care for the poor go away.  Throwing money at the rich is all they can fucking do.

Quote:Stephen O'Brien told the U.N. Security Council that "without collective and coordinated global efforts, people will simply starve to death" and "many more will suffer and die from disease."

Ooh.  4 more countries for us to invade... and watch our men get  shot at by all sides.
(March 11, 2017 at 1:50 am)Minimalist Wrote:
(March 11, 2017 at 12:14 am)KUSA Wrote: That sounds Republican.

What are you shitting me?  The motherfuckers plan to throw billions at the richest shits in the country to make health care for the poor go away.  Throwing money at the rich is all they can fucking do.
But that's not what we are talking about. We are talking about throwing money at the poor. So yes, that sounds very republican of you.
(March 11, 2017 at 9:33 am)KUSA Wrote: But that's not what we are talking about. We are talking about throwing money at the poor. So yes, that sounds very republican of you.

It's not your money anymore. It would be tax money, and the US makes a conscious decision of throwing the bulk of tax payers money at the military industrial complex. To the point of millions of people at home don't have health insuance and potholes not getting fixed in the streets.

The only question remaining is who's bruning your tax payer money. I for one rather see it used on poor people than on some shiny new missile.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(March 11, 2017 at 9:33 am)KUSA Wrote:
(March 11, 2017 at 1:50 am)Minimalist Wrote: What are you shitting me?  The motherfuckers plan to throw billions at the richest shits in the country to make health care for the poor go away.  Throwing money at the rich is all they can fucking do.
But that's not what we are talking about. We are talking about throwing money at the poor. So yes, that sounds very republican of you.

When Dubya was in office the republicunts spent money like drunken sailors.  You better go back and check your history.
(March 11, 2017 at 12:06 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(March 11, 2017 at 9:33 am)KUSA Wrote: But that's not what we are talking about. We are talking about throwing money at the poor. So yes, that sounds very republican of you.

When Dubya was in office the republicunts spent money like drunken sailors.  You better go back and check your history.

On poor people?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some Gays Can Go Straight, Study Says WinterHold 262 17167 March 28, 2023 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Hagia Sophia: first Friday prayer since decades and Erdogan leads the prayer WinterHold 46 2223 July 26, 2020 at 5:23 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  BREAKING: Oil crashes by most since 1991 as Saudi Arabia launches price war WinterHold 52 3133 April 25, 2020 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Oh darn, such a humanitarian...... Brian37 17 1106 April 21, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Things will be fine since they have that magic "R" next to their name A Godzilla fan 2 628 August 28, 2019 at 6:11 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Melania Trump says Sexual Assault victims shouldn't report unless they have evidence Divinity 116 11965 October 15, 2018 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Donald Trump's wife says she "could be the most bullied person in the world" Seraphina 22 2744 October 14, 2018 at 8:09 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Trump says Saudi Arabia's King Salman 'would not last two weeks' without US support WinterHold 2 479 October 7, 2018 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Trump Says Market Would Crash If He Gets Impeached BrianSoddingBoru4 119 11229 August 29, 2018 at 11:28 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Orange rat says he will "do it under oath"? Brian37 10 1722 January 25, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Brian37