Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sincere question for theists and deists
sincere question for theists and deists
A thought occurred to me whilst I was in the shower just now, was pondering on the deistic god.

If the creator deity is infinitely intelligent, or in the case of deism, at least hyper intelligent enough to create the universe, does the creator even need to create?

If the deity can conceive of an idea, can imagine it, can picture it, and is hyper/infinitely intelligent, what then is the difference between the god's imagination, and the actual resulting creation?

Once we pass a certain amount of intelligence (enough to know everything in this universe at any one time and extrapolate from there), the universe not being infinite and the deity being infinite (or at least smart enough) then I would propose that there is no need for an actual creation, it would already have happened in a mind of such magnitude.
RE: sincere question for theists and deists
(June 19, 2011 at 4:01 am)Stue Denim Wrote: A thought occurred to me whilst I was in the shower just now, was pondering on the deistic god.

If the creator deity is infinitely intelligent, or in the case of deism, at least hyper intelligent enough to create the universe, does the creator even need to create?

If the deity can conceive of an idea, can imagine it, can picture it, and is hyper/infinitely intelligent, what then is the difference between the god's imagination, and the actual resulting creation?

Once we pass a certain amount of intelligence (enough to know everything in this universe at any one time and extrapolate from there), the universe not being infinite and the deity being infinite (or at least smart enough) then I would propose that there is no need for an actual creation, it would already have happened in a mind of such magnitude.

A good question Stue. Suppose what we see as the universe are just results of a continual process. We do not see the process but rather see the results. We see the sun as the sun. But suppose it really is a point in a cyclical process we experience as coming into being and finally dying.

Does the absolute need what we see as the finished product like a sun or rather the process of existence that attaches galaxies to suns and suns to planets as a functioning machine? If the process is necessary, more than imagination is needed.

To both questions in the OP: I have no idea.

Although I clearly enjoy religious debate, Deism itself is not AT ALL a driving force in my life. It's a useful footnote used in conversation and online debate.

In the real world, I'd rather spend my time playing with my son, making some money and enjoying my life. I figure if there's a God - he don't need me sitting around contemplating how he handles his business.

[Image: Evolution.png]

We are here. Why wonder about impossible questions?
[Image: bloodyheretic.png]

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
Einstein

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down happy. They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life.

- John Lennon
A "sincere question for theists and deists" should be posed on a "sincere" theistic/deistic forum. FYI, this is an atheist board...! Cool Shades
I.o.w. you're barking up the wrong tree of course, Nick.
(June 19, 2011 at 4:01 am)Stue Denim Wrote: If the creator deity is ...at least hyper intelligent enough to create the universe, does the creator even need to create?

I would say that we understand the need to create things. It's a deep part of our nature. I already alluded to this in your other post. We create because we can. We do it for its own sake. No higher purpose is required. Perhaps we are chips off the proverbial block. Maybe God didn't have a reason to create other than to answer the need to create.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(June 19, 2011 at 7:01 pm)Rokcet Scientist Wrote: A "sincere question for theists and deists" should be posed on a "sincere" theistic/deistic forum. FYI, this is an atheist board...! Cool Shades

There are still deists and theists here. He may not want to go through the hassle of joining a shitty theistic forum when he's already on the most awesome forum there is Wink
(June 19, 2011 at 7:44 pm)Napoleon Wrote:
(June 19, 2011 at 7:01 pm)Rokcet Scientist Wrote: A "sincere question for theists and deists" should be posed on a "sincere" theistic/deistic forum. FYI, this is an atheist board...! Cool Shades

There are still deists and theists here. He may not want to go through the hassle of joining a shitty theistic forum when he's already on the most awesome forum there is Wink

That and you can get banned just for asking questions on a theist forum.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Quote:A thought occurred to me whilst I was in the shower just now, was pondering on the deistic god.

Why don't you try singing in the shower like normal people?
(June 19, 2011 at 8:06 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote:
(June 19, 2011 at 7:44 pm)Napoleon Wrote:

That and you can get banned just for asking questions on a theist forum.

Don't do it Stue. No matter how much they pressure you, don't become a normal member of the "Great Beast." What is the Beast you ask? Simone Weil gives a good description.

"The Great Beast is introduced in Book VI of The Republic. It represents the prejudices and passions of the masses. To please the Great Beast you call what it delights in Good, and what it dislikes Evil. In America this is called politics."

Do you really want to be a member of a group expressing its collective prejudices and passions? I hope not. Keep thinking in the shower. Once you are considered normal, it is all over.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Serious question about thoughts on theists Kingpin 118 6695 May 18, 2023 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is God weaker than theists imagine, and is mankind stronger? invalid 6 2365 March 5, 2021 at 6:38 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Question to theists purplepurpose 172 26611 June 21, 2018 at 4:18 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Should Theists have the burden of proof at the police and court? Vast Vision 16 5227 July 10, 2017 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Jesster
  God and theists. WinterHold 96 33466 May 23, 2017 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  A simple question for theists masterofpuppets 86 21007 April 10, 2017 at 11:12 am
Last Post: emjay
  Question for Deists Fred Hampton 26 4725 April 1, 2017 at 12:28 am
Last Post: masterofpuppets
  Theists: How can predetermined fate and free will coexist? AceBoogie 252 28432 January 9, 2017 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Good theists... Parts 1 and 2 merged ScienceAf 72 10882 October 12, 2016 at 2:21 pm
Last Post: Kingpin
  what do non/anti-religion Deists and Theists believe ? jenny1972 94 14051 November 17, 2015 at 11:52 am
Last Post: drfuzzy