Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here Comes The War on Easter!
Here Comes The War on Easter!
I can hear the conservatards shrieking now.  Bill O'Reilly might even stop harassing women to work himself up about this.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39487307

Quote:Theresa May has described the decision to drop the word Easter from the name of Cadbury and National Trust egg hunts as "absolutely ridiculous".

Her comments come after the Archbishop of York said calling the event the Cadbury Egg Hunt was like "spitting on the grave" of the firm's Christian founder, John Cadbury.

[Image: Jesus_2aac99_1215396.jpg]

[Image: toon971%2BJesus%2BEaster%2BEggs.jpg]
RE: Here Comes The War on Easter!
I read that on the news earlier. Obviously this is the most pressing concern in the UK at the moment, nevermind Brexit and all that totally unimportant stuff.. Rolleyes

Quote:Meanwhile, a descendant of John Cadbury pointed out that "as a Quaker, he didn't celebrate Easter".

His great-great-great-great-granddaughter, Esther McConnell, said: "He believed that every day is equally sacred and, back then, this was expressed by not marking festivals."
Tough cocoa, May. The National Trust is a charity funded by public donations to protect and preserve the country's heritage that would otherwise have been gutted and sold by Governments over the last century - particularly Thatcher - while Cadbury's is a commercial corporation that can do pretty much what the fuck it likes with their products. Neither are obliged to kowtow to you or anyone else in Westminster.
Then there's this...

Quote:Meanwhile, a descendant of John Cadbury pointed out that "as a Quaker, he didn't celebrate Easter".

His great-great-great-great-granddaughter, Esther McConnell, said: "He believed that every day is equally sacred and, back then, this was expressed by not marking festivals."

She added: "I am glad to see that Cadbury and the National Trust are welcoming those of 'all faiths and none' to their event regardless of whether they call it Easter or not."

I'm reminded of the exchange in Yes, Minister regarding the Eurosausage:

"This could be my Falkland Islands."
"Yes. And you could be General Galtieri."
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Administrator Notice
Fixed embedded media tags - all part of the Cyberservice.
kinda hard to take protestations regarding a supposed 'war on Easter' seriously when the Christer crowd is forever unsure of whether or not Jesus was crucified on Thursday or Friday (on their lunar calendrical reckoning) or both days. And the 'both' option is pretty much forced upon them lest scripture be impugned.

Raising doubts, as scripture does, with clearly contradictory tales wields more to harm the 'sanctity' of Easter than the fucking label on a Cadbury egg wrapper.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

What the fuck do eggs of any stripe have to do with Christianity?
War on Easter? Those poor people! Can we evacuate them?
(April 4, 2017 at 12:06 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Theresa May has described the decision to drop the word Easter from the name of Cadbury and National Trust egg hunts as "absolutely ridiculous".

Well, she'd have a good idea on ridiculous, being the yardstick by which it is measured in Europe. So I'm not going to gainsay her on this one.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
Why do people care at all what a hunt for fucking candy is called? Unless it's called something crazy like "Mad Kelly's lure kids with candy and then sell them to Eastern European sex traffickers hunt," I'm not really interested. Call it Easter or Cadbury, the candy is still king.
Yes I remember that part in bible where

And the risen Christ did appear before the apostles and the many witnesses . And Christ said onto them my children you have endure much sorrow and hardship .Thus to lighten your lot I have hidden chocolate cream eggs throughout the land go forth and find them . And the people did .And many eggs they found and consumed . But alas the lord had not foreseen the onset of type 2 diabetes . And there was much woe .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fifty years after the Yom Kippur War LinuxGal 71 4315 October 18, 2023 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Gog Magog civil war with the west WinterHold 37 1997 July 20, 2023 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Proxy war in Ukraine? Angrboda 151 4990 November 8, 2022 at 3:29 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Holocaust survivor perishes as the result of another war Foxaèr 12 1313 May 2, 2022 at 8:23 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The last US military planes have left Afghanistan, marking the USA longest war. WinterHold 22 1537 August 31, 2021 at 6:48 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Cancel culture comes back to bite us on the arse! ignoramus 9 595 April 20, 2021 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Ranjr
  BREAKING: Oil crashes by most since 1991 as Saudi Arabia launches price war WinterHold 52 3109 April 25, 2020 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Op/ed "War on" and "fighting" disease.... Brian37 21 1455 March 29, 2020 at 11:29 am
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Easter Island Statue Destroyed BrianSoddingBoru4 5 540 March 6, 2020 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Which comes first? onlinebiker 31 1867 January 27, 2020 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath