Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any one else watch The Last Days of Jesus on PBS ?
Any one else watch The Last Days of Jesus on PBS ?
Some weird political machinations with the Emperor and an apparent usurper, the Jesus movement being bankrolled by the wife of a highly placed Roman official in Roman held Judea, more errors in Scripture (Palm Sunday during autumn, when the palm fronds are actually ready for parade use), Judas betraying Jesus actually was NOT part of "The Plan", the crowds rapidly turn against Jesus in just a few days is wrong as Jesus becoming unpopular took 6 months, Roman inaction/complicity when Jesus cleansed the temple, misrepresentation of the Pharisees in Scripture (they were on the same side as Jesus) and much more.

Hellish watch for Christians, the details of His ministry reflect very poorly on His motives and motivations.  And poor Sejanus, doing "The Lord's Work" and he wound up garroted for his trouble . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

RE: Any one else watch The Last Days of Jesus on PBS ?
Trying to watch it online here: http://www.pbs.org/program/last-days-jesus/
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(April 15, 2017 at 7:06 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Some weird political machinations with the Emperor and an apparent usurper, the Jesus movement being bankrolled by the wife of a highly placed Roman official in Roman held Judea, more errors in Scripture (Palm Sunday during autumn, when the palm fronds are actually ready for parade use), Judas betraying Jesus actually was NOT part of "The Plan", the crowds rapidly turn against Jesus in just a few days is wrong as Jesus becoming unpopular took 6 months, Roman inaction/complicity when Jesus cleansed the temple, misrepresentation of the Pharisees in Scripture (they were on the same side as Jesus) and much more.

Hellish watch for Christians, the details of His ministry reflect very poorly on His motives and motivations.  And poor Sejanus, doing "The Lord's Work" and he wound up garroted for his trouble . . . .

It's a christian puff piece about how people hated jesus that's all it was. 
there was nothing historically accurate about it. In the bible the Romans 
didn't even want to crucify jesus they were like hey we don't want to do this your people put us up to do it
again we don't have to do this and jesus was like ayyy lmao YOLO and got crucified even though the Romans
again said we don't want to do this. It's like the Lucifer debacle again he isn't Satan as both are two completely different beings
including the serpent. Well this  is what happens with translations of translations people make their own idea of what it means. 
And i agree with you the Pharisees were on the same side but some think otherwise for some unknown reason.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Hard for me to characterize it as a 'puff piece' when it was chock a block full of vile and rampant heresy.

Granted, the modern era Christian movement has so retconned and diluted the original 'message' so as to make the program seem less of an indictment than it actually is.  However, try watching it from a 'Literalist and Inerrancy of Scripture' point of view.

Most of the 'surprises' in the piece would have been enough just a few centuries ago to get the purveyors tongues pulled out with red hot pincers.

I like documentaries about Jesus with massive heretical content . . .  and seeing it on a TV station paid for with public funds, sublime !!

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Quote:Hard for me to characterize it as a 'puff piece' when it was chock a block full of vile and rampant heresy.

But there are so many variants of jesusism.  Best to assume they are all shit rather than promote one over another.
Palm Sunday in AUTUMN ?!?!?!

Panic Panic Panic Panic

(April 15, 2017 at 11:47 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Hard for me to characterize it as a 'puff piece' when it was chock a block full of vile and rampant heresy.

Granted, the modern era Christian movement has so retconned and diluted the original 'message' so as to make the program seem less of an indictment than it actually is.  However, try watching it from a 'Literalist and Inerrancy of Scripture' point of view.

Most of the 'surprises' in the piece would have been enough just a few centuries ago to get the purveyors tongues pulled out with red hot pincers.

I like documentaries about Jesus with massive heretical content . . .  and seeing it on a TV station paid for with public funds, sublime !!

Tongue

we know why they retconned a good bit of the bible for obvious reasons like you know secular values
that one German leader and society starting to question the bible until it settled on a teaching everyone could agree with.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
. . . and not even pretending God is in charge of the re-write.

[snicker]

Not sure I by all of the theory but the bible inconsistencies were certainly interesting.

BTW, I've had JCSS in my head since last night, thanks.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
From Richard Carrier's summation on the "gospel of mark" in On The Historicity of Jesus.

Quote:Obviously I can continue with example after example, exhausting every
scene in Mark, proving it either is more likely fiction than history. or as
likely as not. There is no good case to be made that any scene in Mark
reflects a historical Jesus. Because most scenes clearly do not, and even if
any do, we cannot discern which, or what in them is historical.

pg 456

And of course the other 3 are just redactions of "mark" so if mark is shit they are re-vised shit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who is the last prophet? Fake Messiah 26 2100 September 26, 2020 at 7:58 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Two audio books for Christians (and, everyone else) Jehanne 3 572 January 16, 2019 at 12:52 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Does everyone else feel dizzy from the lights in Church? Der/die AtheistIn 15 2382 December 11, 2017 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  For Christians (or anyone else) who deny Darwinian evolution. Jehanne 334 44529 November 6, 2017 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I will be gone for a few days Der/die AtheistIn 2 1165 October 19, 2017 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  ...And then there are the days He is silent. Drich 75 16713 May 3, 2017 at 10:53 am
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  channel 5 the last days of jesus downbeatplumb 5 2234 April 17, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  CHRISTIANS, you only have 3 days left to get rid of your XMAS TREE! 21stCenturyIconoclast 22 4206 December 24, 2016 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: 21stCenturyIconoclast
  I know what you did last summer. Czechlervitz30 6 1805 August 9, 2016 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Help needed. The Last Reformation. I_am_not_mafia 17 5381 July 29, 2016 at 8:46 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus