Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is the last prophet?
Who is the last prophet?
Really, who is supposed to be the last prophet of Christianity or is this vocation still opened?

Of course, Mormons will say it was Joseph Smith who is last, but what about non-Mormons?

It seems to me that most Christians consider Jesus to be the last prophet, but then again there was Paul in the Bible who talked to God in heaven and also got some new commands from God – sometimes even different than Jesus’s. And then there is so-called “John” who wrote the “Apocalypse”.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Who is the last prophet?
(September 24, 2020 at 6:18 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: Really, who is supposed to be the last prophet of Christianity or is this vocation still opened?

Of course, Mormons will say it was Joseph Smith who is last, but what about non-Mormons?

It seems to me that most Christians consider Jesus to be the last prophet, but then again there was Paul in the Bible who talked to God in heaven and also got some new commands from God – sometimes even different than Jesus’s. And then there is so-called “John” who wrote the “Apocalypse”.

I hate that word being attached to one religion. It is merely a bullshit superstitious word, to claim to "foresee" or "predict" the future.

Other words used throughout humanity worldwide have been words like "Oracle" "soothsayer" " psychic".

Even the mythology of Buddha had his mother "Queen Maya" being told by the divine world, BEFORE HAND, that she would give birth to a boy who would bring wisdom to the world.

There is no such thing as a "prophet". There are only human beings who want a super hero and work to retrofit a narrative to fit their desires after the fact.
Me.

Be excellent to each other.
Dying to live, living to die.
(September 24, 2020 at 6:18 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: Really, who is supposed to be the last prophet of Christianity or is this vocation still opened?

Depending on whether you prefer your religion straight or with a chaser, ‘last prophet’ is largely an open question.  

Jesus wasn’t technically a prophet (although he prophesied), but the fulfillment of prophecy.

Candidates for the last prophet include Malachi, John the Baptist, John Of Patmos, a few others. Some Christian sects deny that there is a last prophet at all, some say that prophecy ended with the Apostolic Age. It’s pretty much a dealer’s choice situation.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
In old magic book, the "prophets" were political commentators opining on the fate of priestly isreal and pastoral judah in conflict with Nebuchadnezzer II between 605 and 597 bc.

Tucker Carlson is a prophet, in the sense that old magic books prophets were prophets, for example.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 24, 2020 at 6:32 am)Brian37 Wrote:

I hate that word being attached to one religion. It is merely a bullshit superstitious word, to claim to "foresee" or "predict" the future.

Other words used throughout humanity worldwide have been words like "Oracle" "soothsayer" " psychic".

Even the mythology of Buddha had his mother "Queen Maya" being told by the divine world, BEFORE HAND, that she would give birth to a boy who would bring wisdom to the world.

There is no such thing as a "prophet". There are only human beings who want a super hero and work to retrofit a narrative to fit their desires after the fact.

I prophesied you would say that.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 24, 2020 at 6:32 am)Brian37 Wrote: claim to "foresee" or "predict" the future.

If you look at what the prophets are recorded as saying, there's very little fortune-telling of this type.

Almost everything the prophets say is just reminding people of what God wants: to obey the law, to have social justice, etc. The prediction part is mostly just saying that if people don't do what God wants they're going to regret it. 

One example is what Jonah told the people of Nineveh. He said that if they don't shape up God will destroy them. So they shape up and God doesn't destroy them. 

There are some announcements about the future in the Bible, but these tend to come from angels rather than prophets. No doubt if you scour the whole Bible you'll find exceptions, but this is generally true.
Harry Azcrac.
(September 24, 2020 at 6:41 am)The Valkyrie Wrote: Me.

Be excellent to each other.

Um really................ Some people's idea of "excellent" is this. 

A contemporary analog would be people claiming that god is going to destroy us with plagues and wars and famine if we don't shape up and act right, which is true in the sense that if we don't shape up and act right we will be layed low by plagues and wars and famine.

It's climate change, not god, but the difference is procedural.

The pastoralist commentators of that ethnic tragedy helped post exile myth makers to conceptualize their circumstances in transportation. The demise of isreal and the utter depopulation of jerusalem in reality a century beforehand being held forward as proof of the secondary conjectures - that god prefered one way of living over another, that this happened because god was angry, and since the isrealite cohort was ground to dust while the judahite cohort became a client state and collaborator - the judahite flavor of these proclamations of doom and their heavy bias against the isrealite priests who ostensibly failed to enjoin god in the conflict to save them and who live The Wong Way™ persisted... and made their way to the establishment legend and even to new magic book.

That's why jesus, the shepherd, had a problem with priests. That's why big cities are dens of sin abandoned by god. That's why pork and shellfish are unclean. That's why poly blend cloth is verboten. All of these things were cultural identifiers.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World ending on April 23rd, says false prophet Divinity 41 8478 April 27, 2018 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Was Sinead a Prophet? chimp3 1 627 March 23, 2018 at 2:35 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Satan, anti-christ, false prophet vorlon13 43 8068 November 14, 2017 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  channel 5 the last days of jesus downbeatplumb 5 2222 April 17, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Any one else watch The Last Days of Jesus on PBS ? vorlon13 9 2556 April 16, 2017 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  I know what you did last summer. Czechlervitz30 6 1791 August 9, 2016 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Help needed. The Last Reformation. I_am_not_mafia 17 5325 July 29, 2016 at 8:46 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The benediction at last night's RNC drfuzzy 13 2274 July 21, 2016 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  William Lane Craig's last math class was in high school?! Jehanne 24 4409 February 22, 2016 at 2:41 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Geocentrism & Last Thursdayism. Jehanne 0 1018 December 12, 2015 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: Jehanne