Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OK fellow old farts, have those close to you monitor these.
OK fellow old farts, have those close to you monitor these.
Just in case you are worried about dementia.

“Big Five” Personality Traits Predict Cognitive Impairment and Dementia

reviewing Terracciano A et al. J Psychiatr Res 2017 Jun.

Lower conscientiousness and agreeableness and higher neuroticism were each associated with heightened risks.

Some “Big Five” personality traits have been found to predict later dementia. This study extends the existing research by using a very large sample, controlling for important risk factors, and additionally examining development of cognitive impairment not dementia (CIND) and conversion of CIND to dementia.

The researchers analyzed data from a longitudinal study of Americans aged >50 to assess the relationship between baseline personality traits and development of cognitive symptoms 2 to 8 years later in 10,457 respondents with normal cognition at baseline and in 1850 respondents with CIND at baseline. Personality was assessed at baseline with a brief self-report scale; cognitive status was assessed every 2 years with a telephone-based screening tool lasting approximately 10 minutes.

In regression analyses, scoring 1 standard deviation (1 SD) higher on neuroticism, 1 SD lower on agreeableness, or 1 SD lower on conscientiousness was associated with a 20% higher risk for developing dementia. These effects were independent of one another and remained significant after adjustment for sociodemographic factors, smoking, physical activity, obesity, diabetes, hypertension, cholesterol, C-reactive protein, and hemoglobin A1c. Higher neuroticism and lower conscientiousness were each associated with a greater risk for CIND; lower conscientiousness was associated with a greater risk for conversion from CIND to dementia.

COMMENT

Clinicians should have heightened vigilance for cognitive impairment in individuals with certain personality traits. These personality traits may be associated with dementia via links to inflammation and neurodegeneration. The study did not test other possible mediators of this association, such as alcohol use, comorbid psychiatric diagnoses (mood, psychotic, and substance use disorders) and psychiatric medication use, all of which should be evaluated in future studies.

The Big Five traits are Openness, Conscientiousness, Extroversion, Agreeableness, and Neuroticism or OCEAN
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: OK fellow old farts, have those close to you monitor these.
so . . .

these traits predict their own dementia, or their ability to induce it in those around them ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Um.... I've always been a disagreeable old fart even when I was younger.  Does it count if there is no change?
Great.
Holy shit, I've got all five!
What was I talking about?

(May 2, 2017 at 2:38 am)Little lunch Wrote: Holy shit, I've got all five!
What was I talking about?

OCEAN sounds nice.
LL, I heard on the radio last week that those who drink diet drinks are 3 time more likely to get dementia.
We can't fucking win, can we? We either die of artificial sweetener or from diabetes from real sugar! Pick one!
Life sucks!

On a good note at least, we're gonna die even if you don't ingest either! But how embarrassing would it be to die completely healthy!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
So I got all five and I'm slightly addicted to coke zero.
I should go place a bet, it's my lucky day.
The same week the diet soda scare came out there was another one about plain old sugar. Fuck you, internet.
(May 1, 2017 at 9:21 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Um.... I've always been a disagreeable old fart even when I was younger.  Does it count if there is no change?

So you were a protege in that department?  Sweet.
(May 2, 2017 at 7:11 am)Whateverist Wrote:
(May 1, 2017 at 9:21 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Um.... I've always been a disagreeable old fart even when I was younger.  Does it count if there is no change?

So you were a protege in that department?  Sweet.

Early onset non progressive variant. What are the odds? Someone call JAMA!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Woe unto those who depend on the bible for their knowledge of evolution Whateverist 1 540 August 7, 2018 at 8:58 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Any of you fellow old farts had an angioplasty? brewer 1 412 November 4, 2017 at 10:06 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  For those of you that like high and tight cuts brewer 12 1638 December 6, 2016 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  For those of you that like sugary drinks. brewer 29 2547 September 10, 2016 at 3:18 pm
Last Post: RozKek
  Way to go CA. Vaccinate those kids! brewer 1 766 July 1, 2016 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Good. About Time Someone Smacked These Dumbfucks Minimalist 10 3062 June 28, 2015 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Finally, no more excuses for holding back farts abaris 18 5598 December 13, 2014 at 12:37 pm
Last Post: vorlon13