Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woe unto those who depend on the bible for their knowledge of evolution
Woe unto those who depend on the bible for their knowledge of evolution
Just came across this video which contrasts biblical notions of "same kind" with modern (though poorly defined) notions of species.  The former are obviously beset with even more problems with coherence than are attempts to define what separates species.  Pretty funny to hear Hovind giving voice to biblical notions of "same kind" being able to "bring forth" offspring getting shot down through simple examples.

RE: Woe unto those who depend on the bible for their knowledge of evolution
(August 7, 2018 at 7:48 am)Whateverist Wrote: Just came across this video which contrasts biblical notions of "same kind" with modern (though poorly defined) notions of species.  The former are obviously beset with even more problems with coherence than are attempts to define what separates species.  Pretty funny to hear Hovind giving voice to biblical notions of "same kind" being able to "bring forth" offspring getting shot down through simple examples.

Quote:A while back, when I said in the comments of an evolution post that there were no good “ring species,” a few readers asked me what I meant by that. “What about the salamander Ensatina eschscholtzii? Or seagulls in the genus Larus? Aren’t those good ring species?” My answer was that those had been shown not to be ring species in the classic sense, but there was still one species that might be a candidate: the greenish warbler Phylloscopus trochiloides around the Tibetan Plateau.

But now that one, too, has been struck off the list of ring species, leaving no good cases. Its removal from the class is documented in a new paper by Miguel Alcaide et al. in Nature (reference and link below), in a group headed by Darren Irwin, a professor at the University of British Columbia and including my next-door Chicago colleague Trevor Price.

There are no ring species

Given the discussion in the text, I'm not sure that this is a break for creationists so much as it is just a clarification of the facts. However, it's worth noting that both the concept of species and its application to fossils presents problems that may be as insurmountable as those faced by the concept of kinds. It's been suggested that the common house cat and the Bengal tiger are the same kind and theoretically could interbreed and so fit the definition of microevolution occurring within a specific kind. As far as I know, it's not been demonstrated that they can't. So the inability of the two would seem to be an example of functional reproductive isolation rather than actual reproductive isolation. The chihuahua and the Great Dane would be a similar example. They don't interbreed because of physical differences, but that doesn't mean they are genetically incompatible and therefore separate species.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transgender kids’ brains resemble their gender identity, not their biological sex Foxaèr 19 3251 May 23, 2018 at 10:06 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  How did our cells get their "information"? Sayetsu 26 3662 March 26, 2018 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  They shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks vorlon13 13 1425 December 22, 2017 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  OK fellow old farts, have those close to you monitor these. brewer 9 2881 May 2, 2017 at 7:18 am
Last Post: brewer
  For those of you that like high and tight cuts brewer 12 1638 December 6, 2016 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  For those of you that like sugary drinks. brewer 29 2547 September 10, 2016 at 3:18 pm
Last Post: RozKek
  Way to go CA. Vaccinate those kids! brewer 1 766 July 1, 2016 at 10:59 pm
  Once Again - Science Does Stuff While Religitards Read Their Silly Old Books! Minimalist 6 1161 March 8, 2016 at 3:59 pm
  Chimps may have entered their stone age. downbeatplumb 54 8506 February 19, 2016 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  I'm Tired of Creatards Posting Their Shit Minimalist 9 3378 October 8, 2013 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: max-greece