Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 1:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Universal Basic Income
Universal Basic Income
I was wondering what you guys think about this? Are you for or against? And why? I love the idea, and I feel that this could work with a bit of push, but I have no confident position on this just yet.

For those not in the know:

Quote:A basic income (also called basic income guarantee, Citizen's Income, unconditional basic income, universal basic income, or universal demogrant[2]) is a form of social security[3] in which all citizens or residents of a country regularly receive an unconditional sum of money, either from a government or some other public institution, in addition to any income received from elsewhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income
RE: Universal Basic Income
I don't really think it's a good idea for people to just receive hundreds or thousands of dollars by default. Or if we're talking about it being small amounts, it really shouldn't be hard to scrounge up some money from a menial task like raking leaves, mowing a lawn, or washing a car.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(May 4, 2017 at 12:03 am)Chad32 Wrote: I don't really think it's a good idea for people to just receive hundreds or thousands of dollars by default. Or if we're talking about it being small amounts, it really shouldn't be hard to scrounge up some money from a menial task like raking leaves, mowing a lawn, or washing a car.

Just to put a number to this, let's say an equivalent of $500 (US) a week.
Try it in South Sudan first (can't think of a greater need anywhere else) and see how it works out.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I think it's a great idea. When people are trying just to survive, they can rarely focus on the betterment of society or anything intellectual. In many third world countries, giving free food in schools has already helped boost the spread of education, if all adults can also use their time towards something productive, I imagine our society would progress much faster. Also, with the coming automation and lowering of job availability, something like this seems like inevitable.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

We're going to have to make a social and cultural shift on this issue in the next 20 years, I think.

When technology hits the service industry like is has hit the manufacturing/logistics industries, you either better be good with computers or you're gonna be SOL.

When we have iPads and touch screens instead of servers, and McDonalds only needs 2 people on staff to manage the fryer and hand food out the window, and jobs like cashier and truck driver become things people used to do, the acceptable unemployment rate will be somewhere in the mid teens, I think.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(May 4, 2017 at 12:11 am)Grandizer Wrote:
(May 4, 2017 at 12:03 am)Chad32 Wrote: I don't really think it's a good idea for people to just receive hundreds or thousands of dollars by default. Or if we're talking about it being small amounts, it really shouldn't be hard to scrounge up some money from a menial task like raking leaves, mowing a lawn, or washing a car.

I busted my ass in a factory one year, and didn't make $500 a week, unless I worked overtime.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

How exactly would this be funded?
(May 4, 2017 at 8:11 am)Isis Wrote: How exactly would this be funded?

Through robot slavery

atleast till the eventual uprising
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(May 4, 2017 at 12:11 am)Grandizer Wrote:

That's too much. Some people just wouldn't work. To start I'd support about $200 per week. That's not enough to live on, but a big help to people working low-paying jobs.

(May 4, 2017 at 8:11 am)Isis Wrote: How exactly would this be funded?

By taxing the rich. That's why it won't happen in the US. Democrats just pay lip service to taxing the rich, and Republicans don't even pretend.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Disability and Universal Healthcare BrokenQuill92 49 2937 January 3, 2020 at 1:53 am
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Universal basic income in the future Aegon 63 11363 September 24, 2019 at 1:29 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  After leading ACA repeal in the House, Trump praises Australia's universal healthcare Aegon 26 5151 May 6, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Income Inequality and Left Wing Hypocricy Neo-Scholastic 17 3359 September 28, 2016 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Humans need not apply - the case for the universal basic income Heywood 23 7191 January 22, 2015 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Bill Gate's Solution to Income Inequality Heywood 44 7484 November 15, 2014 at 3:49 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Janet Yellin Mentions Income Inequality.... Minimalist 0 866 October 30, 2014 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Facebook pays NO income taxes Baalzebutt 15 5965 February 22, 2013 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  Top 1% Captured 93% Of Income Gains In 2010 reverendjeremiah 4 1806 March 6, 2012 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Mitt Romney income calculator Doubting Thomas 46 21921 January 29, 2012 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Perhaps