Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pipeline affecting most of the east coast.
Pipeline affecting most of the east coast.
Just wen't  a half mile down the road, 3 gas stations, two completely out, and the one had a gigantic line. My cab driver has been saying it has been a bitch finding gas all day. The one station that had the line had police officers there to prevent fighting.
RE: Pipeline affecting most of the east coast.
Being an unprepared asshat must really suck.
It appears that contingency plans are already being enacted. This is a bobble, not a catastrophe.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Ran some works errands today and didn't see any lines at any gas stations I passed. There are some advantages to living in an oil state.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(May 11, 2021 at 2:18 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Ran some works errands today and didn't see any lines at any gas stations I passed.  There are some advantages to living in an oil state.
Except Alaska.....

The prices are alway high there. Frequently the highest.

In spite of having the lowest ratio of consumption to production of crude.

Reason?

No refineries.

All gas is first shipped to the lower 48 as crude, refined, then shipped back....
(May 11, 2021 at 2:18 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Ran some works errands today and didn't see any lines at any gas stations I passed.  There are some advantages to living in an oil state.

Price sure maybe. But long term, our species will pay a far more catistrophic price by ignoring global warming.
(May 11, 2021 at 2:23 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
Except Alaska.....

The prices are alway high there. Frequently the highest.

In spite of having the lowest ratio of consumption to production of crude.

Reason?

No refineries.

All gas is first shipped to the lower 48 as crude, refined, then shipped back..
A remnant of Cold War geopolitical concern.   It would be much more economic to put the refineries in Alaska, refine the crude there, and ship the intermediate and final product to the lower 48 rather to ship the crude to the lower 48 for refining.
But Alaska was too close to Russia.  Growth an vital refining industry in Alaska was thought to make the US more susceptible to Soviet blackmail.
(May 11, 2021 at 2:41 pm)Brian37 Wrote:

Price sure maybe. But long term, our species will pay a far more catistrophic price by ignoring global warming.

Says the guy who took a cab to go half a mile.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 11, 2021 at 2:47 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(May 11, 2021 at 2:41 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Price sure maybe. But long term, our species will pay a far more catistrophic price by ignoring global warming.

Says the guy who took a cab to go half a mile.

Boru

I don't drive every day like most people. I also am not the CEO of any transportation company. Who do you think has more money and political power to reduce the global footprint?
(May 11, 2021 at 2:54 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(May 11, 2021 at 2:47 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Says the guy who took a cab to go half a mile.

Boru

I don't drive every day like most people. I also am not the CEO of any transportation company. Who do you think has more money and political power to reduce the global footprint?

That’s right - other people are wealthy, so, you don’t need to do your bit.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How is inflation and the rising cost of living affecting you? bemore 13 678 August 30, 2022 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  No peace in the Middle East, Netanyahu forced off stage EgoDeath 0 345 September 11, 2019 at 4:03 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  East Area Rapist/ Killer caught Seraphina 29 3582 April 29, 2018 at 4:07 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  The Beast from the East WinterHold 12 1702 March 6, 2018 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Keystone Pipeline Springs A Leak Minimalist 21 1788 November 30, 2017 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  MASSIVE Quake strikes off coast of Mexico/Guatemala vorlon13 8 1891 September 8, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  BREAKING: North Korea Fires Unidentified Projectile Off Its Coast A Theist 13 4075 August 26, 2017 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The Next War in the Middle East Minimalist 36 6344 July 30, 2017 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: A Theist
  More fun for atheists in the Middle East. Brian37 0 455 January 20, 2015 at 9:14 pm
Last Post: Brian37