Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meaning of Right and Wrong... Finally Answered!
Meaning of Right and Wrong... Finally Answered!
I would like to apologize about my punctuation and grammar before I start. The following is from my blog: As I'm watching Jon Stewart tonight, I see a man, Sam Harris an atheist, appear on his show with his new book, The Moral Landscape. Now, I figured out morality and the meaning of wrong or right, last year, but my horrible writing...haha, and procrastination has led me to not share it with any one. So, tonight my ego got the best of me and gave me the motivation to post what I know before others get credited with the idea first. I will do my best to share my knowledge now. I have not read his book yet so I can't say what he does or does not say. Also there might be light introductions to other concepts that I will later blog about and articulate on, such as the meaning of life, happiness, ect.

Okay, what is the meaning of right or wrong? From what I saw of Sam Harris it looks like he is close to getting it right, but I wasn't able to know if he understands it completely just based on the interview, and also on the fact I haven't read his book. I believe he describes it as human flourishing, where as I describe it as survivability. But its okay, its basically the same thing. What I mean is, and I think he does too, is that morality, the meaning of right and wrong, is based on whats good for humans.
Now, since we were young we were told what was right or wrong, by parents and religion, but I have always wanted a better definition. What is right and what is wrong? The only answers seemed to me to come from just knowing based on what I was taught. But it occurred to me, after, I figured out the meaning of life, that what it is ,in reality based on is survivability.

As, I will later articulate in future blogs, us humans evolved with randomness. This randomness pointed our perceived characters and morality towards the most logical conclusion. That conclusion is to make more of our selfs, to stay alive, reproduce, and continue being more. In randomness we evolved to want to reproduce and stay alive, because if we hadn't we would not exist. We would kill ourselves, jump off cliffs without thinking and fail to provide to our offspring to continue to survive. Randomness thus slowly removes the people with less traits to survive, and replaces them with the people who survive better and reproduce more often.

It is then no wonder why our mind has evolved to include morality in the picture, morality increases our survivability. Think about it. What is considered right increases our survivability. What is considered wrong decreases our survivability.
Let's say I steal from some one. Stealing decreases the victims value, their ability to survive because what I stole could be sold or used for food, or shelter or something else that could be essential to survivability. Stealing is considered wrong. But what if I give charity to a desperate homeless guy. I have increased his survivability and therefore have done something that is considered right. Same could be said if I kill someone, or save someones life. How about studying, going to school, making more money, as opposed to not studying, not going to school, and thus making less money. One is perceived right, one is perceived wrong, one increases survivability and the other decreases survivability.

It seems right and wrong have evolved to be dependent on the perception of increasing or decreasing societies survivability. For example if you steal from some one it is considered wrong, but what if you steal bread to survive. I remember my mother always telling me that God said that, that is okay. This is where you can argue for or against it. It is the gray area. You can argue weather it is wrong or right and weather it increases or decreases societies survivability. If the man lives and does not die because he choose to steals food, then his survivability increases and also that of society. But if he steals because of wants and not necessity then he decreases societies survivability, because even if he didn't steal he would still be able to survive. In, reality there is no wrong or right answer, as I describe later about the meaning of life, but in the world of morality in our minds you can argue for or against it based on the decrease or increase of survivability. Since it is hard to prove as a fact that societies total survivability value increased or decreased without stats to prove it, morality question like this become gray for people.

Alright, so what about stuff like child abuse, rape, prostitution, abortion, gays? Hmm...Lets start with abortion. Abortion is a grey area. And people are split on the topic. It obviously destroys survivability since your killing a potential child, but what if the mother is young? If there is no social programs to help her, for example, she would probably not be able to go to college and in turn make more money because she is busy raising a child. That child's survivability decreases, as well as her other childrens' survivability, because less money equals less survivability. But what is she aborts the child then goes to school, makes more money, and then has kids. The kids and her have way better survivability. You see, you can play with it however you want, but abortion as a whole is different for every woman, what is wrong or right is hard to prove since it varies for each individual case and becomes hypothetical. And because of that abortion is grey and is hard to prove completely wrong or right. That is unless you believe in a certain type a religion and you go by that alone... blindly.

Okay, what about child abuse? You can argue for spanking or not spanking. You can argue spanking makes a child have a better understanding of right and wrong and thus increase his survivability. You can argue spanking will give him a better character to survive, but can you prove it? Statistics would be needed. Obviously hurting a child to the point that your causing serious injury, decreases his survivability and is considered very wrong. Even if your lightly spanking your kids, some people see it as wrong and archaic. Hitting a child has a negative connotation no matter the context due to the fact that it has been taken to far by irresponsible parents. That is why it is perceived wrong, even if their survivability isn't in danger, when you are lightly spanking them.

Rape? A woman is programmed to want to have sex with men who would increase her babies chances of survivability. Being rape destroys the woman's option to choose and thus decreases survivability for that child. Even if a child wasn't produced and the woman lived with no decrease to survivability, rape has a negative connotation due to rape leading to murder, injury, and other factors that could decrease survivability. That is why raped is perceived as always wrong no matter the context.

Prostitution was actually widely accepted in early America, but when disease started spreading quicker through prostitution, it became clearer that it was wrong. It has developed a negative connotation because of that and other factors. Even though it could be regulated to include safer sex and better screening, its negative connotation will leave it there for now.

What about gays? They are considered wrong because a same sex couple can't reproduce and therefore don't increase survivability. Religion also takes extreme views on this because of this factor. What gays should know is that there is nothing wrong with being gay. We are all products of natures' randomness. As I will articulate later in a future blog: the meaning of life. Also, many gay people are extremely productive to society, thus increasing survivability. This seems like a grey issue, but it's really not, because there is nothing wrong with being gay. I'll end it at that.

In conclusion, I would like to add, that morality is really just perceived in the mind. It is an evolutionary tool to help us progress. And some religions seem to have based themselves on this whole concept, almost as if they were intended on the sole purpose of increasing survivability.

The previous text is from my blog that I just started http://meaningofall.blogspot.com/
It is spanking new but I will be adding to it shortly in the future, I promise.
RE: Meaning of Right and Wrong
Wall of text crits me for over 9000

can you either add spaces between paragraphs or sum it up?
@pacian

Who are you? It's considered basic good manners to introduce yourself before posting.

Morality: There are no universal.absolute moral imperatives of which I'm aware. Morality consists of rules based on pragmatism..

See also 'moral relativism'. The full article is worth reading.

Quote:Moral relativism may be any of several descriptive, meta-ethical, or normative positions regarding the differences in moral or ethical judgments between different people and cultures:

* Descriptive relativism is merely the positive or descriptive position that there exist, in fact, fundamental disagreements about the right course of action even when the same facts obtain and the same consequences seem likely to arise.[1]
* Meta-ethical relativism, on the other hand, is the meta-ethical position that the truth or falsity of moral judgments, or their justification, is not objective or universal but instead relative to the traditions, convictions, or practices of a group of people.[2]
* Normative relativism, further still, is the prescriptive or normative position that, as there is no universal moral standard by which to judge others, we ought to tolerate the behavior of others even when it runs counter to our personal or cultural moral standards.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_relativism
Who am I? I'm a regular guy raised catholic, turned atheist, who later turned pacian. That's my own religion I haven't shared with anyone. I don't have a Harvard degree or any other type of degree, but I feel I discovered some philosophical questions, while I was doing some soul searching, and I believe immensely that my views are accurate. I'm new to these forums, and hopefully I will add more to them in the future, thank you for having me.
(October 5, 2010 at 6:39 pm)padraic Wrote: @pacian

Who are you? It's considered basic good manners to introduce yourself before posting.

Morality: There are no universal.absolute moral imperatives of which I'm aware. Morality consists of rules based on pragmatism..

See also 'moral relativism'. The full article is worth reading.

Quote:Moral relativism may be any of several descriptive, meta-ethical, or normative positions regarding the differences in moral or ethical judgments between different people and cultures:

* Descriptive relativism is merely the positive or descriptive position that there exist, in fact, fundamental disagreements about the right course of action even when the same facts obtain and the same consequences seem likely to arise.[1]
* Meta-ethical relativism, on the other hand, is the meta-ethical position that the truth or falsity of moral judgments, or their justification, is not objective or universal but instead relative to the traditions, convictions, or practices of a group of people.[2]
* Normative relativism, further still, is the prescriptive or normative position that, as there is no universal moral standard by which to judge others, we ought to tolerate the behavior of others even when it runs counter to our personal or cultural moral standards.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_relativism

Hey padriac, I don't really understand what your saying, are you arguing with my views? Morality is all based on perceived survivability. Thats all it is. Everyone has a different perception on how to go about that, and some people believe survivability is what is told to them from religion, even if that religion is wrong, such as blowing yourself up and getting 72 virgins. Morality is easily defined.
RE: Meaning of Right and Wrong... Finally Answered!
Quote:Hey padriac, I don't really understand what your saying, are you arguing with my views?

What don't you understand?

Yes, I'm arguing against your position.

Have you read the article l linked? Moral relativism is not a complex idea. Basically that different societies have different moralities,because morality is above all practical. It is more than a matter of individual perception.
(October 5, 2010 at 8:21 pm)padraic Wrote:
Quote:Hey padriac, I don't really understand what your saying, are you arguing with my views?

What don't you understand?

Yes, I'm arguing against your position.

Have you read the article l linked? Moral relativism is not a complex idea. Basically that different societies have different moralities,because morality is above all practical. It is more than a matter of individual perception.
I read some of it, from what I understood, it says different cultures have different moral standards. Yeah I agree, what are you trying to argue? Its nothing new. Did you read what I posted or just skimmed through it, I'm explaining the same thing but adding way more and defining it more precise, from complex to simple.
Wow, I read more of your link, and it turns out somebody has already thought what I thought. Its under the morality and evolution section of your link. Thanks for the link, I guess I'm arguing completely towards that, that is the bases of all morality.
(October 5, 2010 at 6:12 pm)pacian Wrote: Rape? A woman is programmed to want to have sex with men who would increase her babies chances of survivability. Being rape destroys the woman's option to choose and thus decreases survivability for that child.

Whut? A woman has a child with a father whom she did not choose. How does that decrease the survivability of the child? Many women bare children from fathers they did not chose. They have no idea who the father is in some cases. Watch Jerry Springer, he showcases bitches like that. There is no decrease in the childrens survivability.

Quote:Even if a child wasn't produced and the woman lived with no decrease to survivability, rape has a negative connotation due to rape leading to murder, injury, and other factors that could decrease survivability.

Of the woman, true. But since you are basing "right" and "wrong" (in a objective stance it seems) on nothing more than survivability of the species, ponder this;

Rapist rapes 20 women. He has increased the survivability of his genetic material 20 times. He has potentially created 20 human beings. He has increased the survivability and increased potential procreation 20 times more than the man who did not.
Using your hypothesis about an objective "right/wrong" based on survivability, shouldn't rape be listed under 'Right'?

That is why this assertion

Quote: That is why raped is perceived as always wrong no matter the context.

is in error. I'm sure with a little thought you could come up with a context or two in which rape would not be perceived as "always wrong".

I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
@pacian, yes I read your post; you stated rape is always wrong.

Although you may consider that to be case,that is not universally true,hence the term moral relativism. You have argued moral absolutes, a concept I reject.
(October 5, 2010 at 8:59 pm)Dotard Wrote:
(October 5, 2010 at 6:12 pm)pacian Wrote: Rape? A woman is programmed to want to have sex with men who would increase her babies chances of survivability. Being rape destroys the woman's option to choose and thus decreases survivability for that child.

Whut? A woman has a child with a father whom she did not choose. How does that decrease the survivability of the child? Many women bare children from fathers they did not chose. They have no idea who the father is in some cases. Watch Jerry Springer, he showcases bitches like that. There is no decrease in the childrens survivability.

Quote:Even if a child wasn't produced and the woman lived with no decrease to survivability, rape has a negative connotation due to rape leading to murder, injury, and other factors that could decrease survivability.

Of the woman, true. But since you are basing "right" and "wrong" (in a objective stance it seems) on nothing more than survivability of the species, ponder this;

Rapist rapes 20 women. He has increased the survivability of his genetic material 20 times. He has potentially created 20 human beings. He has increased the survivability and increased potential procreation 20 times more than the man who did not.
Using your hypothesis about an objective "right/wrong" based on survivability, shouldn't rape be listed under 'Right'?

That is why this assertion

Quote: That is why raped is perceived as always wrong no matter the context.

is in error. I'm sure with a little thought you could come up with a context or two in which rape would not be perceived as "always wrong".
Dotard, those are amazing questions! I'm glad you asked them, unfortunately i'm putting on my scrubs to go to work as I write this. I will post the your answers tomorrow when I got the time, I promise, but seriously amazing questions. The answers tomorrow.
(October 5, 2010 at 6:12 pm)pacian Wrote: I would like to apologize about my punctuation and grammar before I start. The following is from my blog:

No problem, now that it looks a bit nicer i might chime in Smile

Quote:Okay, what is the meaning of right or wrong? From what I saw of Sam Harris it looks like he is close to getting it right, but I wasn't able to know if he understands it completely just based on the interview, and also on the fact I haven't read his book. I believe he describes it as human flourishing, where as I describe it as survivability. But its okay, its basically the same thing. What I mean is, and I think he does too, is that morality, the meaning of right and wrong, is based on whats good for humans.
Now, since we were young we were told what was right or wrong, by parents and religion, but I have always wanted a better definition. What is right and what is wrong? The only answers seemed to me to come from just knowing based on what I was taught. But it occurred to me, after, I figured out the meaning of life, that what it is ,in reality based on is survivability.

So you define (moral?) right and wrong as 'maximizing survivability'? In other words what ever best aids in survival is what is morally right?

Quote: As, I will later articulate in future blogs, us humans evolved with randomness. This randomness pointed our perceived characters and morality towards the most logical conclusion.

Yeah, you're going to have to explain this one, because as it stands you appear to have made one of the biggest newbie mistakes regarding the theory of evolution...

Quote: That conclusion is to make more of our selfs, to stay alive, reproduce, and continue being more.

That's not true, many out there are generally lazy and don't give a shit about self improvement, not enough to take action anyway.

Quote: In randomness we evolved to want to reproduce and stay alive, because if we hadn't we would not exist.

*sigh*

That seems to be the same mistake as earlier rising again.

Quote: We would kill ourselves, jump off cliffs without thinking and fail to provide to our offspring to continue to survive. Randomness thus slowly removes the people with less traits to survive, and replaces them with the people who survive better and reproduce more often.

Err, we don't top ourselves under natural selection, we are under pressure from the environment (including predators) around us. Those with the random features that make them more effective at surviving the pressures of the environment go on to reproduce and spread the beneficial gene. This process goes on for hundreds of trillions of different generations of different lineages, and almost everything that ever existed becomes extinct.

Quote: It is then no wonder why our mind has evolved to include morality in the picture, morality increases our survivability. Think about it. What is considered right increases our survivability. What is considered wrong decreases our survivability.

Agreed, to an extent, though many many many many (i could add a few more 'man'y...) moral decision that we make have nothing at all to do with survival. I agree with you to the point that we evolved a capacity to make certain educated decisions about our environment, and were able to determine the actions that would help in surviving or hinder survival, but morality is much more than knowing what will and will not kill us.

For instance, in all likelihood the practice of keeping slaves is likely to increase the survivability of the community that keeps them. They build wealth more easily which makes them a fortune that can put many successive generations into a better position for surviving.

If survivability of ones lineage was the basis for morality it would be impossible call the act of keeping slaves morally wrong. Morality needs to be a far more comprehensive that stopping at survivability.

Quote: Let's say I steal from some one. Stealing decreases the victims value, their ability to survive because what I stole could be sold or used for food, or shelter or something else that could be essential to survivability. Stealing is considered wrong.

But what if you stole something that had no impact on their survivability? Since it doesn't relate to the criteria you set out it can't be deemed to be morally wrong.

Quote:But what if I give charity to a desperate homeless guy. I have increased his survivability and therefore have done something that is considered right. Same could be said if I kill someone, or save someones life.

Sure all these bits fit, but your moral theory doesn't work if something doesn't fit.

Quote: How about studying, going to school, making more money, as opposed to not studying, not going to school, and thus making less money.

That's what many many people have done. Does this make them morally wrong?

Quote:It seems right and wrong have evolved to be dependent on the perception of increasing or decreasing societies survivability.

I disagree that (moral) right and wrong arose from biological evolution. They are certainly memes that have their origin in some biologically derived sense of 'good' and 'bad' (in terms of survivability, pain, pleasure, reward etc) but they certainly go far beyond any notion of survival.

Quote: For example if you steal from some one it is considered wrong, but what if you steal bread to survive. I remember my mother always telling me that God said that, that is okay. This is where you can argue for or against it. It is the gray area.

Stealing bread if you are absolutely dependent upon it to live is not morally wrong, i would say not because it is intrinsically based on survival, but because the desire to live is a stronger desire than the desire not to be stolen from, and this applies to essentially everyone, therefore it is more moral to be stolen from than it is to thwart the desire of the homeless man to live, because we all have more and stronger desires to live than to not be stolen from.

A moral person would make the action that promotes more and stronger desires than it thwarts, in this case because there are only two desires, your desire not to be stolen from and my desire not to die, my desire is a stronger desire that thwarts less desires (all my desires for life) than your desire not to be stolen from. Therefore the moral person would be permitted to steal the bread, and thus it is not immoral to steal to survive if you absolutely need to.

That is of course unless your theft causes someone else to die, and then you have thwarted all their desires in life as well as their desire not to be stolen from, and thus your decision to steal becomes the immoral one.

Quote: You can argue weather it is wrong or right and weather it increases or decreases societies survivability. If the man lives and does not die because he choose to steals food, then his survivability increases and also that of society. But if he steals because of wants and not necessity then he decreases societies survivability, because even if he didn't steal he would still be able to survive.

I must point out that theft does not necessarily decrease survivability. If i steal all the pies from a fat man's kitchen and he has to run around searching for them for hours then i have increased his survivability Wink

Your moral theory has serious problems.

Quote: In, reality there is no wrong or right answer

Then you haven't figured out what is right and wrong at all, you have become a moral subjectivist.

Quote:as I describe later about the meaning of life, but in the world of morality in our minds you can argue for or against it based on the decrease or increase of survivability. Since it is hard to prove as a fact that societies total survivability value increased or decreased without stats to prove it, morality question like this become gray for people.

I'm sorry but i think you're well and truly dead in the water here. no amount of paddling now can get you to shore.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Shocking Reflection]: Finally, I found Mohammed's name in the Bible and the Torah WinterHold 105 5874 November 26, 2022 at 1:29 am
Last Post: UniversesBoss
  Pat Robertson finally leaving tv Foxaèr 20 2212 October 8, 2021 at 12:22 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Right of freedom of religion should not be a human right Macoleco 19 1561 May 26, 2021 at 1:10 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Turns out we were all wrong. Here's undeniable proof of god. EgoDeath 6 1409 September 16, 2019 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Thumbs Down 11-Year-Old Genius Proves Hawking Wrong About God Fake Messiah 7 1122 April 16, 2019 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Dead people testify! We were wrong! ignoramus 12 1710 June 11, 2018 at 6:52 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  On the wrong tract............ Brian37 28 4860 December 16, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  I was wrong about the simple choice. Mystic 42 4948 January 3, 2017 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  What gives a religion the right to claim their fantasy is correct and the rest false? Casca 62 6460 November 20, 2016 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  If Life is Meaningless Anyway, then What's Wrong with Religion? InquiringMind 348 44136 October 2, 2016 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: Cyberman