Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did humanity just cross that line?
Did humanity just cross that line?
I didn't find a more suitable section to post my thoughts at.

But few days ago; I got my hands on a VR headset. The technology was quite off my radar, I just didn't think the Software & Engineering community was capable to develop virtual reality, under such a low price.

A headset from Google can cost you 10$ only. It's cheap.

I downloaded a free app, and I put on the headset. I was blown away. Literally.
All the sci-fi movies I ever remembered just crossed my head.

Oh my God. Humanity did climb utter heights if you ask me. While people die from hunger, others just bury their eyes in a plastic box and claim the didn't hear nobody screaming.

The whole concept of the technology is illusion. The image is a 2D flat image. People dying from hunger is 4D and real.

Humanity did cross the line. We could've end hunger. We could've end poverty. We could've end lots and lots of sicknesses.
But instead; we chose a fare similar to the M.A.T.R.I.X

Why I posted this here is pretty simple: what do you think as a religious person, an atheist?
I do believe in God even more, because when I see the coldness humans reached, I just remember why hell is justified, why earth is literally being butchered by many humans.
RE: Did humanity just cross that line?
Sure, sometimes humans do frivolous stuff. Does not mean that they are also not engaged at other times with aspects of the world that include suffering, distress, fear and hatred.

I see distress everyday in my job and have to try to help, coz' it's my job and I care.

I am involved with some charities too.

But I alone cannot put right all of the world's issues. Sometimes I need to switch off too, I post online, watch a film, go to the pub, chat with my wife and friends and so on.

Sure, some people are just assholes and don't give a shite about anybody else. Not much I can do about that, but as they say, don't let the bastards get you down.

Don't be too quick to dismiss all of the good that happens as well or you will remain in a mire of depression and be unable to do anything to act on behalf of the things you would like to see change.

No need for gods for any of that though.
VR headset technology can be used in medical schools to train surgeons who can go on to heal those poor sick people
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(July 4, 2017 at 5:34 am)vorlon13 Wrote: VR headset technology can be used in medical schools to train surgeons who can go on to heal those poor sick people

True, and may lead to the ability for surgeons to perform remote surgery one day. We also use forms of VR to train pilots and for other forms of transport. It could also be a very good way to get people who are inactive to engage in some form of exercise, promoting health and reducing costs to the healthcare industry.

Technology can lead to very positive things and still have trivial uses too.
(July 4, 2017 at 5:09 am)AtlasS33 Wrote: I didn't find a more suitable section to post my thoughts at.

But few days ago; I got my hands on a VR headset. The technology was quite off my radar, I just didn't think the Software & Engineering community was capable to develop virtual reality, under such a low price.

Oh my God. Humanity did climb utter heights if you ask me. While people die from hunger, others just bury their eyes in a plastic box and claim the didn't hear nobody screaming.

The whole concept of the technology is illusion. The image is a 2D flat image. People dying from hunger is 4D and real.

Humanity did cross the line. We could've end hunger. We could've end poverty. We could've end lots and lots of sicknesses.

Why I posted this here is pretty simple: what do you think as a religious person, an atheist?
I do believe in God even more, because when I see the coldness humans reached, I just remember why hell is justified, why earth is literally being butchered by many humans.

1. Stop being impressed by cardboard VR dammit! AR is much more impressive (and magic leap has promised a product demo "soon" Tongue )
2. Science isn't a linear thing where VR is on the same page as world hunger. Believe it or not those issues are a lot more complex than tricking the brain by showing two different images at the same time. In fact they are so complex that our human brains might not be capable of tackling them fully without the help of AI.
3. A concept isn't the same thing as illusion, besides technology exists and you are using it... get on with the times
4. You need to define what "line" humanity seems to have crossed. If you mean humanity has proven decisively that it can progress much better without religion dragging it down, then well, that has been proven for a while now. If you think the line is a matrix like vr dystopian existence, that line is at the very least not within our lifetimes. So relax and enjoy your cardboard.

PS: if you wanna try, cardboard AR kit blueprints are available online too, and you should be able to build one for around 10$ as well.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

A popular lament is; why are we spending so much money on space exploration when so many are starving? This a false dilemma, as is the main premise of the OP. If all funding for NASA, ESA were stopped tomorrow that doesn’t mean those funds will be diverted to rescuing starving babies. Many billion$ have been thrown at the problem but the problem is still here.
A more pertinent question would be; where is all the money going?
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(July 4, 2017 at 5:09 am)AtlasS33 Wrote: I didn't find a more suitable section to post my thoughts at.

Why are you playing with the VR set, instead of attempting to feed the hungry? You make me sick.

The folks who invented VR technology did what they do best.  Since you see hunger, poverty, and sicknesses as major concerns then get off your ass and solve one or all of them.  Why do you expect other people to do all of the work for you?  Don't you have an intelligence mind and a functioning body?  If you do then use them to fix the things that bother you.  Other people are busy fixing their own concerns.  

When Jonas Salk saw that polio was a problem he got off his ass and invented a vaccine to prevent it.  Do the same thing for the problem that bothers you.
(July 4, 2017 at 5:34 am)vorlon13 Wrote: VR headset technology can be used in medical schools to train surgeons who can go on to heal those poor sick people

This.

Wish we had it...
Dying to live, living to die.

The poor sick will not benefit from this technology, to many doctors want their payday, they have style to uphold don't you know.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does humanity deserve Corona? WinterHold 285 17995 July 15, 2020 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Porcupine
  Did you know the movies God's Not Dead 1 and 2 did well at Box Office? Renug 12 4458 May 30, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  I wear a cross around my neck russiangj2 18 3748 March 7, 2015 at 11:12 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Open letter to hard line muslims lifesagift 0 988 November 13, 2014 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: lifesagift
  Would atheists be disappointed if humanity was seeded? repentsinners 15 3494 November 25, 2013 at 6:13 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Humanity's Punishment: If it was a court case. bladevalant546 68 23020 September 4, 2013 at 3:33 am
Last Post: catfish
  The Actual Cross of Jesus Discovered! JesusHChrist 18 5641 August 3, 2013 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Minimalist