Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St. Columba's hut found
St. Columba's hut found
Quote:Archaeologists have located one of the most important buildings in the history of Western European Christianity – but it’s not a vast cathedral or an impressive tomb, but merely a humble wattle and daub hut on a remote windswept island.

Using radiocarbon dating techniques and other evidence, the scholars – from the University of Glasgow – believe they have demonstrated that the tiny five-metre square building was almost certainly the daytime home of early medieval Scotland’s most important saint, St Columba.

http://www.independent.co.uk/News/scienc...34366.html
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: St. Columba's hut found
So what miracles was this "saint" credited with?  Getting Scots to spend money?
(July 11, 2017 at 3:46 pm)Minimalist Wrote: So what miracles was this "saint" credited with?  Getting Scots to spend money?

He seems to have over a hundred miracles accredited to his name.

Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columba
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Uh-huh.

Quote:The main source of information about Saint Columba's life is the Vita Columbae (i.e. "Life of Columba"), a hagiography written in the style of "saint's lives" narratives that had become widespread throughout medieval Europe. Compiled and drafted by scribes and clergymen, these accounts were written in Latin and served as written collections of the deeds and miracles attributed to the saint, both during his or her life or after death. The canonization of a saint, especially one who had lived on the fringes of the medieval Christian world like Saint Columba, required a well-written hagiography to be submitted to Rome, but popular belief and local cults of sainthood often led to the veneration of these men and women without official approval from the Catholic Church.

Writing a century after the death of Saint Columba, the author Adomnán (also known as Eunan), served as the ninth Abbot of Iona until his death in 704 A.D

Check out what xtian scholar Candida Moss has to say about this hagiography horseshit.  Also note, his biography was not written until a century after his supposed death.  Hey!  Just like fucking jesus!!!  And fucking mohammed!!!!

Funny how that keeps happening.
(July 11, 2017 at 3:37 pm)Lutrinae Wrote:
Quote:Archaeologists have located one of the most important buildings in the history of Western European Christianity – but it’s not a vast cathedral or an impressive tomb, but merely a humble wattle and daub hut on a remote windswept island.

Using radiocarbon dating techniques and other evidence, the  scholars –  from the University of Glasgow – believe they have demonstrated that the tiny five-metre square building was almost certainly the daytime home of early medieval Scotland’s most important saint, St Columba.

http://www.independent.co.uk/News/scienc...34366.html

They found Tut's Tomb, and? That discovery didn't make Ra, Osiris or Horus real.  Finding a "Saint's" home doesn't make magic babies or zombie god's real. FYI the history of "saints" is actually rooted in the dark ages and abuse of Europe by that institution in the name of dominionism. Not that the Vatican still isn't saying and doing stupid shit today.

(July 11, 2017 at 3:54 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Uh-huh.

Quote:The main source of information about Saint Columba's life is the Vita Columbae (i.e. "Life of Columba"), a hagiography written in the style of "saint's lives" narratives that had become widespread throughout medieval Europe. Compiled and drafted by scribes and clergymen, these accounts were written in Latin and served as written collections of the deeds and miracles attributed to the saint, both during his or her life or after death. The canonization of a saint, especially one who had lived on the fringes of the medieval Christian world like Saint Columba, required a well-written hagiography to be submitted to Rome, but popular belief and local cults of sainthood often led to the veneration of these men and women without official approval from the Catholic Church.

Writing a century after the death of Saint Columba, the author Adomnán (also known as Eunan), served as the ninth Abbot of Iona until his death in 704 A.D

Check out what xtian scholar Candida Moss has to say about this hagiography horseshit.  Also note, his biography was not written until a century after his supposed death.  Hey!  Just like fucking jesus!!!  And fucking mohammed!!!!

Funny how that keeps happening.

Thanks for the heads up on Candida Moss's book, "The Myth Of Persecution". Still reading it, great stuff.
(July 11, 2017 at 3:46 pm)Minimalist Wrote: So what miracles was this "saint" credited with?  Getting Scots to spend money?

Old joke:  How was copper wire invented?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Miracles; not impossibilities.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(July 11, 2017 at 3:37 pm)Lutrinae Wrote:
Quote:Using radiocarbon dating

What? I "thought" that radiocarbon dating was debunked as fake and totally unreliable, that it was nothing more then a communist plot to fool people into thinking world is older then 6000 years? Oh well I guess it's different now when they have to prove existence of some christian.

I just wonder how St Columba would feel now when apparently majority of Scots are nones.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
I had to google "scottish saints". Never heard of any previously. Were these guys all catholic approved or were some self proclaimed?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
The Holy Apostolic Church Of Rome has a vigorous process of elevating individuals to sainthood, based on a rigorous programme of a mind-shattering capacity to believe the most insane bullshit imaginable.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How we found out Evolution is true fredd bear 38 2705 March 26, 2019 at 4:23 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  I've found God? ScienceAf 120 26956 October 8, 2017 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: brewer
  If they found Jesus' turd what would they do with it? Fake Messiah 64 6961 August 26, 2016 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: Losty
  I found a pastor who has a strange fixation on flaming buttholes and asbestos diapers TaraJo 12 3194 April 30, 2016 at 11:36 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  My baby's momma found Jesus... The Reality Salesman01 53 11085 April 15, 2015 at 2:51 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  I found... this... dyresand 62 15329 January 7, 2015 at 11:21 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  I was lost but now Im found tonyintheLight 244 27153 December 18, 2014 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Ancient Confession Found: 'We Invented Jesus Christ' Gooders1002 82 26608 April 23, 2014 at 11:40 pm
Last Post: Mark Fulton
  Is there any core feature of christianity not found in other religions Lemonvariable72 54 18913 March 14, 2014 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  I think I found the dumbest person alive Nightfoot92 16 5700 August 14, 2013 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Faith No More