Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How would you name Planet Nine?
How would you name Planet Nine?
It is said that there is an 9th planet looming somewhere in the distance of our solar system and astronomers are looking for it, both pros and amateurs.

So let's say you discover it, because then you get to name it, which name would you give it?

I think I would name it Jesus. I would do it in order to interest Christians more in astronomy and science and if there were moons discovered around it they could be named for apostles, because that would even more fuel their interest. Books would be written about it because Christians would be interested to know more about this planet and at the same time books would teach them a lot about astronomy and science in general. Knowing their mentality they would create all sorts of legends about it, like some would think you go there after you die; some would get the impression that Jesus lives there now; some would perhaps dream of having a pilgrimage there and so on. So perhaps there would be a boom of space exploration.

What do you think?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: How would you name Planet Nine?
Pluto^2 because I hold grudges lol
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
I think it would depend on its characteristics and/or the circumstances under which I found it.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Nemesis or Nibiru, just to fuck with the Planet X conspiracy loons. Plus they're cool sounding names.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
IX

As in "Dune".
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Bacchus.  The outsider god, plus...getting drunk - because that's exactly what I'd be doing if I was the guy who found a ninth planet.  Party at my place, everyone's invited.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Urass cos there's already a uranus
Nancy.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(July 14, 2017 at 11:34 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: It is said that there is an 9th planet looming somewhere in the distance of our solar system and astronomers are looking for it, both pros and amateurs.

So let's say you discover it, because then you get to name it, which name would you give it?

I think I would name it Jesus. I would do it in order to interest Christians more in astronomy and science and if there were moons discovered around it they could be named for apostles, because that would even more fuel their interest. Books would be written about it because Christians would be interested to know more about this planet and at the same time books would teach them a lot about astronomy and science in general. Knowing their mentality they would create all sorts of legends about it, like some would think you go there after you die; some would get the impression that Jesus lives there now; some would perhaps dream of having a pilgrimage there and so on. So perhaps there would be a boom of space exploration.

What do you think?

Not appropriate.  Unlike Jesus, if this planet existed, then it will come again.
(July 14, 2017 at 12:13 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(July 14, 2017 at 11:34 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: It is said that there is an 9th planet looming somewhere in the distance of our solar system and astronomers are looking for it, both pros and amateurs.

What do you think?

Not appropriate.  Unlike Jesus, if this planet existed, then it will come again.

Aw but other planets get to be named after gods...
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newborn planet pictured for first time zebo-the-fat 15 2092 July 3, 2018 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: brewer
  So, What planet/moon is this ? vorlon13 42 5870 November 26, 2017 at 9:35 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Planet Found in Habitable Zone Around Nearest Star zebo-the-fat 72 7842 August 27, 2016 at 7:12 am
Last Post: Alex K
  New evidence points toward Ninth Planet in the solar system Heat 57 9964 January 24, 2016 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Scientists discover another Earth like planet A Theist 1 1412 July 7, 2014 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet Minimalist 35 9216 April 28, 2014 at 3:45 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Mercury, The Incredible Shrinking Planet A Theist 6 3493 March 19, 2014 at 5:35 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  NASA Hubble Finds a True Blue Planet pocaracas 2 1992 July 13, 2013 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  A planet with four suns Welsh cake 1 2038 October 18, 2012 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Nearest star from the sun has earth like planet. Anomalocaris 10 5469 October 18, 2012 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: Welsh cake