Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The end of the enlightenment?
The end of the enlightenment?
I was in a Bible study tonight and we watched a video of this new Chrsitianity, this is what Philip Jenkins has to say about it:
Quote:Jenkins (history and religious studies, Pennsylvania State Univ.) believes that we are on the verge of a transformational religious shift. As he explains it, Christianity, the religion of the West, is rapidly expanding south into Africa, Asia, and Latin America, and he predicts that by the year 2050, only about one-fifth of the world's three billion Christians will be non-Hispanic Caucasian. By numbers alone, they will be able to overwhelm the present political secular nation- and city-states and replace them with theocracies, similar to the Islamic Arab nations. He ends with a warning: with the rise of Islam and Christianity in the heavily populated areas of the Southern Hemisphere, we could see a wave of religious struggles, a new age of Christian crusades and Muslim jihads. These dire prognostications could be seen as just another rant from a xenophobic pseudo-prophet; however, the author is a noted historian, and his statements are well formed, well supported by empirical evidence, and compellingly argued. The only criticism is the brevity of the book. One hopes that The Next Christendom is only an introduction to a deeper analysis of a fascinating topic. Recommended for all libraries. Glenn Masuchika, Rockwell Collins Information Ctr., Cedar Rapids, IA
Copyright 2002 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

I dont really know what to think, I want to think that Im going to get my PhD in theology and philosphy from Oxford in a decade or so, but is this planet going to turn back to the 'dark ages'?
I think what we need to do, with the given scenario, is find an exoplanet, build a spaceship and get there hell out of here! we can do a fundie test, if they have commited intellectual suicide they can stay on planet Earth! lol. ok but seriously what do you guys think?
Its ok to have doubt, just dont let that doubt become the answers.

You dont hate God, you hate the church game.

"God is not what you imagine or what you think you understand. If you understand you have failed." Saint Augustine

Your mind works very simply: you are either trying to find out what are God's laws in order to follow them; or you are trying to outsmart Him. -Martin H. Fischer
RE: The end of the enlightenment?
I very much doubt the World will have 3 billion Christians by 2050, where does he get these figures? What is that based on?

He sounds like a fucking idiot.

Christianity isn't rapidly expanding into Africa and Latin America, it is already well established in those areas, Asia is already dominated by Hinduism, Buddhism and Islam.

He doesn't seem to have taken deconversion rates into consideration either, we won't be needing that spaceship Wink Great

"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
He's right about one thing, get too many religious shitwits in one place and all sorts of trouble will follow.

People in the southern hemisphere will have far more important things than religion to worry about in the next century. Continuing climate change will have a drastic impact on their lives.
Well there are 2 billion Christians already, 3 billion dosent' sound that far out of the ball park. Might take a bit longer than 40 years though. Most of us will still be here in 40 to see. I wonder if the Atheist Forum will still be around.

In terms of doing your PhD Solja247, do you really think religion had done alot of good in the World! Ok, it sounds like a great idea, and is on paper, but so was Communism! For thousands of years this has been going on, with no final outcome, it may be time to change your path or face the cosequences of your own misunderstanding.....just my thoughts.

Most modern religions seem to be against the environment & conservationists. The problem with this train of thought is that we live in the environment, we only have one planet, and we have nowhere else to go. Once it is spent, that is it, thanks for coming, have a nice day.

By understanding this, you should call it the beginning of a new enlightment. A new start & a better future.
(October 15, 2010 at 8:19 am)solja247 Wrote: ok but seriously what do you guys think?

I think that it sounds unlikely but if it did happen, and there was modern day crusades and more wars in the name of religion, you and all the followers of Christianity (and all other religions) would have blood on your hands. You provide the safety in numbers that extremism and fundamentalism needs to grow. And despite it being proven again and again ever since the creation of your fairy tale, you still don't see the potential for evil and murder than comes with religion and still choose to be blind ignorant and follow it any way.
(October 15, 2010 at 8:19 am)solja247 Wrote: I dont really know what to think, I want to think that Im going to get my PhD in theology and philosphy from Oxford in a decade or so, but is this planet going to turn back to the 'dark ages'?
I think what we need to do, with the given scenario, is find an exoplanet, build a spaceship and get there hell out of here! we can do a fundie test, if they have commited intellectual suicide they can stay on planet Earth! lol. ok but seriously what do you guys think?

PhD? Hmmm, strange you didn't seem to know science is a field of philosophy and by far the most productive one. If this planet is in danger of turning back to the dark ages, would that encourage you to or discourage you from getting your PhD in theology and Philosophy? And why?

Future wars will be over resources with fresh water being one of the bigger causes.

Oh the fuckwits will claim that god wants them to steal water from unbelievers but really that is nothing but an excuse to give to the cannon fodder.
So you fear the rise of your own religion.

Oh, the irony.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Quote:People in the southern hemisphere will have far more important things than religion to worry about in the next century. Continuing climate change will have a drastic impact on their lives.

Unless we reverse climate change.

Quote:In terms of doing your PhD Solja247, do you really think religion had done alot of good in the World! Ok, it sounds like a great idea, and is on paper, but so was Communism! For thousands of years this has been going on, with no final outcome, it may be time to change your path or face the cosequences of your own misunderstanding.....just my thoughts.

I have this weird dream of being a christian apologist one day. But theology is great. In my opinion, it opens one eyes to how awesome God is, or how awesome God would be if He did exist.

Quote:So you fear the rise of your own religion.

As Im sure an atheist would fear Russia 2.0
Its ok to have doubt, just dont let that doubt become the answers.

You dont hate God, you hate the church game.

"God is not what you imagine or what you think you understand. If you understand you have failed." Saint Augustine

Your mind works very simply: you are either trying to find out what are God's laws in order to follow them; or you are trying to outsmart Him. -Martin H. Fischer
Welcome to the new Dark Age.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Global Prayer To End Atheism Foxaèr 60 7797 August 25, 2021 at 8:20 am
Last Post: Brian37
  I dreamt that when you die, you end up flying in darkness. But in the midst of it Edge92 27 1740 June 12, 2021 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
Thumbs Down END TIMES COMPENDIUM IAOALGIV 111 24083 August 23, 2017 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  So can god end his own existence? Vast Vision 53 14138 July 27, 2017 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Duggar Fuctards Can't Wait For The End of the World Minimalist 55 10399 October 13, 2016 at 11:20 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  End Poverty with Vocations?! TrueChristian 14 4690 January 20, 2016 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  If in the end, you found that god really existed... Pyrrho 33 6516 June 4, 2015 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Enoch and the Mayans - Calculating the time of the End of Days StrongWaters 24 6862 December 10, 2013 at 9:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  View from up my end: New Church crisis looming Cyberman 11 5615 March 24, 2012 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  The end of the world Manowar 320 89224 October 25, 2011 at 11:22 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger