Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should convincing someone of a bad idea lead to prosecution?
Should convincing someone of a bad idea lead to prosecution?
Intent is very important when it comes to prosecuting someone, but should that be enough to overcome giving advice that costs someone their lives? Day after day I see people posting articles against vaccination, or promoting cures for cancer that either do nothing or makes things worse. For this I’m going to assume these individuals believe they are giving good advice, and their intent is to help the individual they are giving the advice too.

For years, I’ve used this example. If I have a fly on my chest and your intent is to help me and kill the fly, but instead you kill me. This is an exaggeration, but the concept is still the same. Should good intent supersede harmful advice/action.

Just this year Michelle Carter was sentenced to two and half years for encouraging her boyfriend to kill himself. The law seems to finally be moving in the direction of the results rather than the intent.

So at what line do you believe anti-science need to cross before the intent can be ignored, and the individual is punished for the results?
ForDebating.com is now in beta. 

We have 1v1 and 2v2 debates working and will have up to 16-man tourneys working soon.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/fordebating 
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWAd2N-...4lsJZjr6GQ
RE: Should convincing someone of a bad idea lead to prosecution?
State of New York has a depraved indifference law, not quite what you're looking at . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

There was the teenage girl just a few weeks ago found guilt after talking her boyfriend into committing suicide.

I would think in any case it would come to intent. In the case of the fly, there may be some leniency. The intent was to help. Similar case were someone pulled a gun on a cop and a bystander pulled his firarm. Pulled off three shots. Two hit the bad guy, one hit the cop in the shoulder. No charges filed based on intent to assist in the support of life.

One meant to help and did, one meant to hurt and did. I would assume intent would be the strongest ruler
(September 9, 2017 at 10:54 pm)Coveny Wrote:  
Just this year Michelle Carter was sentenced to two and half years for encouraging her boyfriend to kill himself. The law seems to finally be moving in the direction of the results rather than the intent.

How? Michelle's intent was for her boyfriend to die, and that is exactly what the result was.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
If I tell you, "do the world a favor and jump off the nearest bridge" and you do it, am I at fault?

If you have cancer and as a layman I tell you cramp bark will cure you, your believe me and then die, am I at fault?

In each case the mental competency of each individual may need to be considered along with intent. 

These would be adult to adult issues. Adult to child issues (vaccination/medical care) would be a completely different issue. The child rarely gets the choice.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Agreed. The mental stability and maturity of both involved would need assessing.

If someone suffers from depression, and all they hear is people telling them to die, then those people are at fault when the depressed individual kills themself. Obviously if the person values the opinion of the second party, then the second party is partly responsible for what the person does.

It's a bit like the problem with bullying, which can lead some people to suicide. Just because the bullies didn't throw the person off the bridge, doesn't keep them from being partially responsible for it.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Quote:Day after day I see people posting articles against vaccination, or promoting cures for cancer that either do nothing or makes things worse.

Freedom of speech.  The current law in the US is Brandenburg v. Ohio

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/395/444

Quote: Freedoms of speech and press do not permit a State to forbid advocacy of the use of force or of law violation except where such advocacy is directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action.

If mere lying were a criminal offense there would not be a preacher anywhere who wasn't behind bars.  Which might not be such a bad idea but is definitely unconstitutional.
(September 10, 2017 at 12:28 pm)Chad32 Wrote: If someone suffers from depression, and all they hear is people telling them to die, then those people are at fault when the depressed individual kills themself. Obviously if the person values the opinion of the second party, then the second party is partly responsible for what the person does.

It's a bit like the problem with bullying, which can lead some people to suicide. Just because the bullies didn't throw the person off the bridge, doesn't keep them from being partially responsible for it.

I think the issue(s) would need to be discussed on a case by case basis. Just from your post I have so many "what ifs" in my head that would change responsible to not responsible to can't make a reasonable determination.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
While this debate could cover areas that don’t lead to deaths, for now I’m just trying to discuss where death occurred. On the point of Michelle Carter what if her intention to end his suffering? There are numerous cases where assisted suicide and mercy killings were prosecuted. Also with Michelle there is the aspect of free speech. How many times have you heard someone say something like “you should kill yourself” or wishing some form of death on another person. So, was the amount or persuasiveness of those statements that caused her to go to jail? Is it ok to say “The world would be a better place without you” once or twice… but at three times … that’s just too much? Or maybe it’s too much when you start listing their failures or maybe even how the world would be a better place without them, or that pain would end. And what about the type of pain as well? Pain from a breakup vs pain from a terminal illness are different situations.

Also, when there are accepted best practices and they aren’t followed we have no problem prosecuting people like Medical Malpractice. I think everyone agrees Doctors intentions is good but the results were bad and cost someone their life. Generally, though it’s only a loss of money, and takes repeated offenses before the doctor loses their license and no they are no longer able to practice medicine. There are rarely criminal charges brought against them, and they don’t serve any time in jail even if they are the cause of multiple people’s deaths. So, there is some precedence that recklessness and stupidity led to people going to jail regardless of intent.

But how incompetent, misguided, stupid, or reckless do you need to be?
ForDebating.com is now in beta. 

We have 1v1 and 2v2 debates working and will have up to 16-man tourneys working soon.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/fordebating 
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWAd2N-...4lsJZjr6GQ

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should I stay or should I go? POLITICAL op/ed Brian37 53 6974 August 26, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  How can Democracy NOT lead to Oligarchy? ignoramus 4 352 July 18, 2020 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Porcupine
  Bad Apple Yonadav 7 1038 March 4, 2019 at 11:53 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Trump VS Trump (not exactly political news but I have no idea where to post this) Cepheus Ace 0 36908 February 12, 2019 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Cepheus Ace
  Someone Explain This 'Shutdown' to Me? Jade-Green Stone 62 5528 January 22, 2019 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Something very bad is coming to the whole world. WinterHold 7 694 November 27, 2018 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Saudi Arabia as USA ally is not a bad thing Rignia 6 963 November 25, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  NPCs. Orange man bad, Atheist Marxism Ismir 2 477 November 4, 2018 at 6:43 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Nazism isnt that bad Nain 7 467 October 8, 2018 at 5:57 am
Last Post: Lucanus
  Too bad we can't make a pilgrimage from 'Murica Foxaèr 8 1068 September 9, 2018 at 8:06 am
Last Post: brewer