Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Someone Explain This 'Shutdown' to Me?
Someone Explain This 'Shutdown' to Me?
Seeing as I am surrounded by news corporations that are mostly conservative and a very conservative family, and Internet isn't helping. Can someone here with common sense which is most of you people, please tell me what this whole Government Shut Down is about?
RE: Someone Explain This 'Shutdown' to Me?
On the surface, it's about a stupid wall, underneath it's about the insecurities of an orange baby regarding the loss in polls, a false show of power, and about trying to delay the inevitable
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Trump is a baby trapped in a fat adults body and currently, he's having a very expensive tantrum
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

(January 8, 2019 at 11:32 pm)Jade-Green Stone Wrote: Seeing as I am surrounded by news corporations that are mostly conservative and a very conservative family, and Internet isn't helping. Can someone here with common sense which is most of you people, please tell me what this whole Government Shut Down is about?

It's a combination of Trump thrashing around wildly for a distraction while Mueller is reeling him in over his treason (I think even your man currently acting as AG knows there's no way to save Trump, otherwise the anti-Mueller putsch he was installed to run would have happened by now) and the far right neo nazi media (Fox, Breitbart et al) calling him chicken over his pre Christmas compromise on the budget, and him proving them right by caving to their demands.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
Shutdown is over the budget, so "non-critical" positions are on hold until a budget is approved. Trump needs to sign the bill, but has asked for wall funding, however the democrats don't want wall funding in the budget. If they push a spending bill through the House, it won't get approved by the Senate, and even if it did, it would get vetoed on the president's desk. If it did somehow get to that point, they could try to override the veto, but it would require a supermajority (2/3 vote) in the Senate. It gets more complicated, because the president could potentially declare a national emergency and use the military to build the wall. At that point, the democrats would likely try to litigate against the decision, which would complicate things all the more.

Short version - Our government is inefficient.
Shutdown is about Trump turning attention from crimes he committed by illegally collaborating with Russians. Let's face it Trump doesn't give a fuck about anything but himself and he'll do anything to preserve himself including shutting down the government and diverting attention from:
1) Trump asked the Russians to hack Clinton.
2) Don Jr. met with operatives promising dirt.
3) Manafort shared polling with possible Russian agent.
4) Phone records indicate Cohen visited Prague.
5) Flynn lied to the FBI.

He doesn't care for illegal immigrants since he also employs them himself and if he was concerned for safety of the people he would rather work on laws like that curb pollution or laws about gun safety since 40,000 people died in the US from guns last year.

Things you won't hear from Trump are:
DEA - bulk of drugs come across the Mexican border at legal ports of entry.
HSA - most new undocumented immigrants are visa overstays
Seven times more immigrants in terrorism database stopped crossing the Canadian border, than Mexican border

because it's not about border and safety but his own ass.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(January 9, 2019 at 5:56 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: Shutdown is about Trump turning attention from crimes he committed by illegally collaborating with Russians.

Russia is a conservative christian pro-rich white country. Trump did nothing wrong.
(January 9, 2019 at 5:56 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: Shutdown is about Trump turning attention from crimes he committed by illegally collaborating with Russians. Let's face it Trump doesn't give a fuck about anything but himself and he'll do anything to preserve himself including shutting down the government and diverting attention from:
1) Trump asked the Russians to hack Clinton.
2) Don Jr. met with operatives promising dirt.
3) Manafort shared polling with possible Russian agent.
4) Phone records indicate Cohen visited Prague.
5) Flynn lied to the FBI.

He doesn't care for illegal immigrants since he also employs them himself and if he was concerned for safety of the people he would rather work on laws like that curb pollution or laws about gun safety since 40,000 people died in the US from guns last year.

Things you won't hear from Trump are:
DEA - bulk of drugs come across the Mexican border at legal ports of entry.
HSA - most new undocumented immigrants are visa overstays
Seven times more immigrants in terrorism database stopped crossing the Canadian border, than Mexican border

because it's not about border and safety but his own ass.

This is nonsense. It was understood when the American people elected him that the a wall would be established at some point on the southern border.  The same people opposing it now (Schumer, Pelosi, etc...) voted for a border wall some years back, but it didn't pass.  Pretty sure it was in 2004.   Schumer and Pelosi both have walls around their property.  Wonder why they would so such a thing. Hehe
(January 9, 2019 at 6:12 am)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote: This is nonsense. It was understood when the American people elected him that the a wall would be established at some point on the southern border. 

Yeah... No, that's not how democracy works. It doesn't matter how morons misunderstood the significance of their shallow victory in presidential elections. If they really wanted their dumb wall, perhaps they shouldn't have let Democrats win the House, hmmm?

Also wasn't it also "understood" that Mexico would pay for the wall? F*ckwits have short memory, don't they? Hehe

(January 9, 2019 at 6:12 am)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote: The same people opposing it now (Schumer, Pelosi, etc...) voted for a border wall some years back, but it didn't pass.  Pretty sure it was in 2004.   Schumer and Pelosi both have walls around their property.  Wonder why they would so such a thing. Hehe

Let me give you a hint - those walls are NOT there to prevent immigration. Deceptively simple solutions to complicated sociopolitical problems are usually only meant to placate simpletons and are a very expensive exercise in political posturing. Just because even a dimwit understands how a wall works, doesn't make it a viable solution to an international issue.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(January 9, 2019 at 7:33 am)Homeless Nutter Wrote:
(January 9, 2019 at 6:12 am)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote: This is nonsense. It was understood when the American people elected him that the a wall would be established at some point on the southern border. 

Yeah... No, that's not how democracy works. It doesn't matter how morons misunderstood the significance of their shallow victory in presidential elections. If they really wanted their dumb wall, perhaps they shouldn't have let Democrats win the House, hmmm?

Also wasn't it also "understood" that Mexico would pay for the wall?  F*ckwits have short memory, don't they? Hehe

(January 9, 2019 at 6:12 am)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote: The same people opposing it now (Schumer, Pelosi, etc...) voted for a border wall some years back, but it didn't pass.  Pretty sure it was in 2004.   Schumer and Pelosi both have walls around their property.  Wonder why they would so such a thing. Hehe

Let me give you a hint - those walls are NOT there to prevent immigration. Deceptively simple solutions to complicated sociopolitical problems are usually only meant to placate simpletons and are a very expensive exercise in political posturing. Just because even a dimwit understands how a wall works, doesn't make it a viable solution to an international issue.

We didn't elect you.  Too bad, huh? Violin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Explain the impeachment to me Nay_Sayer 23 2611 January 4, 2020 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Republicans, can you explain this to me? Losty 47 6704 May 10, 2019 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Explain left and right to me (political terms) Macoleco 27 2187 February 19, 2019 at 11:38 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  A Good Time For A Government Shutdown TwoKnives99 18 2394 November 19, 2018 at 12:25 am
Last Post: tackattack
  If Blacks have superior dicks, then explain highest risk of infecting AIDS Konboa 8 1317 September 5, 2018 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Can someone please explain the difference? Losty 12 1250 June 26, 2018 at 12:51 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  When I Call Someone Like Farenthold a Fucktard - I Mean It Minimalist 2 621 December 14, 2017 at 12:56 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Why keep a vice president around, who was appointed by someone worthy of impeachment? Chad32 26 3654 December 9, 2017 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Should convincing someone of a bad idea lead to prosecution? Coveny 20 1968 September 12, 2017 at 4:41 am
Last Post: paulpablo
  Stay Out Of The Water Chris-Someone May Throw A Harpoon At You Minimalist 14 3650 July 3, 2017 at 4:02 am
Last Post: GUBU