Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I really should get going...
Lightbulb 
I really should get going...
Man I really ought to go ahead and be done with it. It’s been like… two months since I’ve registered here? I wasn’t even lurking or anything. I guess talking about this is so very new to me that I needed time to gather my thoughts.

So greetings to anyone reading this. I’m glad I finally mustered up the courage to join a forum of like-minded people. I’m from Bangladesh. I come from a Muslim family. When it comes to following the religion, I’d say we’ve always been pretty… moderate. Things like praying 5 times a day, fasting in the month of ramadan, avoiding pork and alcohol are the things we meticulously follow. But things like adhering to a conservative dress code, avoiding people of opposite gender, music, tv-movies etc. was never a thing in our family. Most of the people I know also simply adhere to the parts of Islam that are perceived to be so synonymous to the religion that not doing so would break their image of being a religious person. But yeah, conservative attire, especially for women is on a rise here. I am genuinely surprised how this generation is becoming more and more invested in this religion.

Anyway, enough about others. What about me, though? Well looking back, I was never really on board. When I was very young, I almost tried to convince myself to be… well, convinced because I wondered how could so many older and more educated people believe if there’s really nothing to it! I thought maybe I didn’t know enough about religion to be convinced. Then there’s the fear of being totally isolated by rejecting islam which is thought to be the only right path to life to people around me. But still when I was around 12, I just couldn’t lie to myself about buying any of this. But even then I knew that sharing my doubts with people around me was not an option. So from then til now I’ve tried my very best not to create any red flags. For example, I have to pretend to pray five times a day when at home, as a show to my father. My mother knows I don't pray but she's ok with it because she thinks it's for me to choose, which is weird on it’s own because she never misses her prayers. My younger brother does the same, but I haven't had the courage to discuss with him his view on religion. He’s most probably in a limbo just like me. When I used to be in my University (college?) dorm, I didn't pray and everyone "close" to me obviously knew about it. Two of my roommates once invited me to start praying with them but I managed to wiggle out of that. At present I'm working in a bank and almost everyone there is muslim and says their prayers. All this pretending for years on end is starting to get to me so I've decided not to do so in my workplace. I didn’t in my previous job either and maybe once my cubicle mate commented about it, but that was it. But here some people have started noticing and they have advised me to pray and reminded me of the so called punishments Allah would have in store for me if I didn’t. There's one particular guy who's more like a mullah (but also sleazy??) and he's more or less made it his mission to convince me to pray 😒. I had a co-worker who also didn't pray but recently she started to as well. And now she even asked me if I had any specific reason for not praying. Oh and I have to pretend to participate in ramadan fasting no matter where I am because I figure that'd be a definite red flag. So basically, my whole life so far has been a carefully constructed act.

So this makes me think sometimes, do I have anyone truly close to me? Well the obvious answer is of course, no lol. We are estranged from the relatives from my Mom’s side and I never really kept in touch with my cousins because my father has this weird kind of formal relationship with his siblings? And as for friends, well I really don’t have any to be honest. But it’s not that I’ve never made any or something. It’s just that it’s really really exhausting keeping up a façade all time, or more like being on guard all the time. Well I guess that was the case when I was in University and Islamic practice was getting more and more prevalent in young adults but I digress. When I was younger, I’ll have to say the main reason the friendships didn’t last was because besides study there was not much else common among us, if that makes sense. Oh I should mention before University I exclusively had my education with other girls (it’s the common picture in the country). Anyway, like I was saying, I was always considered to be a nerd among my friends. I was somewhat good in my studies and I wasn’t into the things other girls were. Then right around when I was in university there was a very noticeable rise in… more rigid practice of Islam, especially among the young adult population. And to be honest at that time I felt myself to be more self-aware about keeping my beliefs vague around my classmates and friends. I think you guys pretty much know about the situation of Bangladesh ­with regards to the uprising of violent acts in the name of Islam? Well I never thought it would escalate so quickly. Two of my then ‘closest’ friends were starting to get into more conservative ideas of Islam. Although none of the people I know ever openly called for the death of non-believers or anything, but deep down they did show distrust towards them and thought the atheists killed for allegedly insulting Islam were asking for it.

Well on top of that during my University days having the chance to be with myself and away from my family helped me become more introspective and very long overdue realization came upon me: that I’m exclusively attracted to people of my own gender. I didn’t hate myself for this or the idea of same-sex attraction or anything, it’s just that I was never able to connect the dots and not knowing about the concept of same-sex attraction or LGBT people didn’t help either.

So now I have two ‘secrets’ which are considered to be grave sins by Islam. This was the time it truly hit me that this limbo situation will definitely not last forever. The first shoe dropped about a year after my postgrad when I was still looking for a job. It’s the time when my father and my aunts were thinking that I should get married. It’s how things go here- it’s considered ideal for women to tie their knot well before their thirties. Well before coming to terms with my sexuality I never imagined myself being married. Also, the traditional marriage roles didn’t interest me at all. On top of that I’d never think of playing pretend muslin and straight for the rest of my life just to keep myself out of trouble. So I had to come out to my eldest aunt and request her to put a stop to the marriage talks. She was dumbfounded to learn of my sexuality but agreed in the end. I guess it helped that she’d heard of LGB people and understood what I said, although I get the impression she hopes I’ll come around eventually and it’s a temporary setup. My Mom on the other hand doesn’t understand these at all and when I had come out to her earlier she kinda brushed it off and said that I was confused. Anyway, methinks another round of marriage talk is definitely around the corner. Almost one and a half year has passed from that fateful day and I’ve also got myself into a well-paying job which society thinks to be more than enough for a woman to start seriously thinking about marriage. I have absolutely no idea what I’m gonna do that time.

So as time goes by, a collection of thoughts and realizations constantly hit me. If I don’t want to live a pretend life til death, there is no place for me here: in this society, this country and if we’re being honest, in this subcontinent. People around me and I, we fundamentally have different ways of viewing the world and our purpose. I’ve accepted that I’ll have to find a way to get the hell away but I am stuck at the how.

So aaaaaaaaaaaaanyway. Looking back this is probably the very first time I’ve talking about all this. I’ve been pretty much a lurker both online and IRL. Maybe I was caught up in the fear of getting exposed somehow. But honestly it’s high time I stop looking from afar and join in myself. I think it’ll be great to finally discuss things openly with people or even belonging in a place where I won't have to put up an act.

Cheers!  Smile

(edit: typo)
RE: I really should get going...
Welcome!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Welcome, tyko! I hope you enjoy the forums. There are many interesting things to talk about.
I hope you can find a solution to your problems with societal expectations.
You are not alone in fearing, "What if someone finds out I look at atheist websites".

Back before 9/11 I held the "off" "atheist" position for a few years, but because of a lifetime of society telling me atheists were bad, I feared seeking others out because I feared maybe I was going to join a cult. Of course it is bullshit, but when you are isolated and not as educated you buy the fear others sell you.

The atheist who inspired me to get off my ass and seek other atheists out will never know what she did for me. After 9/11 I ran across a opinion article out of Chicago that was distributed to newspapers nationwide, including my local paper. In it she states that she is an atheist nurse and felt left out as an American in the 9/11 mourning process.

Either that day or the next, I did a web search, the first website I visited was American atheists, but really wasn't a message board. The second one I went to was the now defunct "Atheist Network". I joined, but that lifetime of fear nagged at me. However, in less than a week, after seeing tons of atheists saying the same things I was and talking about everyday mundane life, that fear went away and I have not looked back since.

Since 01 being online, I have learned lots from others. I've read Dawkins and Harris and Hitchens and Victor Stenger and Ayann Hirsi Ali. I have learned tons about how theists of ALL religions will try to make apology sound objective when really they are merely trying to justify clinging to old mythology.

You are not alone, you are in very good company here. And if you ever feel stumped by a theist, that happens, but if it does, run their argument by other atheists and we will be happy to obliterate it as the nonsense it really is.

Be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission, and rip the tags off of your mattress.

Bit of advice too, never get into PM or email debates with theists. That tactic is like a lion stalking a calf, the don't like open public debates where everyone is watching and can weigh in. I would not do that until you get years of debate under you. Harder to sell snake oil where everyone can see what you are doing.
Thanks all for the warm welcome! Smile
Hello and Welcome. Woof!

Find a way to be happy. Is a geographic fix an option?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Welcome, Tyko.

Always remember that religion is about social control.  The fairy tales are just to intimidate the dolts.
Welcome!

I'm sorry to hear of your struggles. It must be terribly hard. Is it possible for you to leave Bangladesh? The stories we hear about non-believers in Bangladesh are frightening if true.

I hope you're safe, and once again,

Welcome
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
A very warm welcome with much appreciation for such a thoughtful sharing. I hope you are safe and that you can move to some place where it will be easier to be yourself without hiding. Please do if you can and if you do let us know. I will worry about you until then.

(September 23, 2017 at 8:20 am)tykobrian Wrote: Man I really ought to go ahead and be done with it. It’s been like… two months since I’ve registered here? I wasn’t even lurking or anything. I guess talking about this is so very new to me that I needed time to gather my thoughts.

So greetings to anyone reading this. I’m glad I finally mustered up the courage to join a forum of like-minded people. I’m from Bangladesh. I come from a Muslim family. When it comes to following the religion, I’d say we’ve always been pretty… moderate. Things like praying 5 times a day, fasting in the month of ramadan, avoiding pork and alcohol are the things we meticulously follow. But things like adhering to a conservative dress code, avoiding people of opposite gender, music, tv-movies etc. was never a thing in our family. Most of the people I know also simply adhere to the parts of Islam that are perceived to be so synonymous to the religion that not doing so would break their image of being a religious person. But yeah, conservative attire, especially for women is on a rise here. I am genuinely surprised how this generation is becoming more and more invested in this religion.

Anyway, enough about others. What about me, though? Well looking back, I was never really on board. When I was very young, I almost tried to convince myself to be… well, convinced because I wondered how could so many older and more educated people believe if there’s really nothing to it! I thought maybe I didn’t know enough about religion to be convinced. Then there’s the fear of being totally isolated by rejecting islam which is thought to be the only right path to life to people around me. But still when I was around 12, I just couldn’t lie to myself about buying any of this. But even then I knew that sharing my doubts with people around me was not an option. So from then til now I’ve tried my very best not to create any red flags. For example, I have to pretend to pray five times a day when at home, as a show to my father. My mother knows I don't pray but she's ok with it because she thinks it's for me to choose, which is weird on it’s own because she never misses her prayers. My younger brother does the same, but I haven't had the courage to discuss with him his view on religion. He’s most probably in a limbo just like me. When I used to be in my University (college?) dorm, I didn't pray and everyone "close" to me obviously knew about it. Two of my roommates once invited me to start praying with them but I managed to wiggle out of that. At present I'm working in a bank and almost everyone there is muslim and says their prayers. All this pretending for years on end is starting to get to me so I've decided not to do so in my workplace. I didn’t in my previous job either and maybe once my cubicle mate commented about it, but that was it. But here some people have started noticing and they have advised me to pray and reminded me of the so called punishments Allah would have in store for me if I didn’t. There's one particular guy who's more like a mullah (but also sleazy??) and he's more or less made it his mission to convince me to pray 😒. I had a co-worker who also didn't pray but recently she started to as well. And now she even asked me if I had any specific reason for not praying. Oh and I have to pretend to participate in ramadan fasting no matter where I am because I figure that'd be a definite red flag. So basically, my whole life so far has been a carefully constructed act.

So this makes me think sometimes, do I have anyone truly close to me? Well the obvious answer is of course, no lol. We are estranged from the relatives from my Mom’s side and I never really kept in touch with my cousins because my father has this weird kind of formal relationship with his siblings? And as for friends, well I really don’t have any to be honest. But it’s not that I’ve never made any or something. It’s just that it’s really really exhausting keeping up a façade all time, or more like being on guard all the time. Well I guess that was the case when I was in University and Islamic practice was getting more and more prevalent in young adults but I digress. When I was younger, I’ll have to say the main reason the friendships didn’t last was because besides study there was not much else common among us, if that makes sense. Oh I should mention before University I exclusively had my education with other girls (it’s the common picture in the country). Anyway, like I was saying, I was always considered to be a nerd among my friends. I was somewhat good in my studies and I wasn’t into the things other girls were. Then right around when I was in university there was a very noticeable rise in… more rigid practice of Islam, especially among the young adult population. And to be honest at that time I felt myself to be more self-aware about keeping my beliefs vague around my classmates and friends. I think you guys pretty much know about the situation of Bangladesh ­with regards to the uprising of violent acts in the name of Islam? Well I never thought it would escalate so quickly. Two of my then ‘closest’ friends were starting to get into more conservative ideas of Islam. Although none of the people I know ever openly called for the death of non-believers or anything, but deep down they did show distrust towards them and thought the atheists killed for allegedly insulting Islam were asking for it.

[align=justify][color=#000000][size=small][font=Arial]Well on top of that during my University days having the chance to be with myself and away from my family helped me become more introspective and very long overdue realization came upon me: that I’m exclusively attracted to people of my own gender.

I understand completely. I too am only attracted to people of your gender. But don't worry, I'm old enough to be your grandfather and am happily married.
Welcome Tyko!

I certainly hope that you can manage to relocate to a country where you are free to be yourself. My oldest son came out to us three years ago and told us he was gay. I just went dress shopping with him today for homecoming and he found a stunning short black dress to wear.

You will find much support here on these pages, if no where else.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two warnings, already - i'm not going to be here much longer Prof.Lunaphiles 43 9299 April 25, 2020 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  Hello, Atheists are going to hell :) Shaddam IV 26 4419 November 23, 2015 at 5:00 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Hi I'm 'new' again...apparently I'm going to Hell!!! Angenlina star 27 8586 April 7, 2015 at 6:31 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Age 5 - what the hell is going on? Newtonscat 10 2662 January 19, 2015 at 6:47 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Forced into going to church? katiefranco 23 4718 November 25, 2013 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Critical Thinking--When Is It Going To Be Used? Frank Palatnick 2 1574 June 28, 2009 at 8:53 pm
Last Post: Frank Palatnick