Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi I'm 'new' again...apparently I'm going to Hell!!!
Hi I'm 'new' again...apparently I'm going to Hell!!!
I'm going to 'Hell'
Hi all
I've been a member for a short time but not been on for a while; I think I'll be here a lot more often given the following;
I wasn't sure where to post this but here goes anyway!!!
In a nutshell/ nutcase:
My husband is a Christian and has decided to further his search to find god , which I do support. We have been married for 12 years.
I'm an athiest
He does get quite defensive when we try to have a discussion around religion, so we agreed just not to talk about it
His whole family are Christian and his dad asked me if we could have a 'healthy discussion rather than there being an elephant in the room' ... His words. Personally I have not found that mine and my husbands beliefs have ever been an issue, but the ante appears to have escalated in his new found faith
The 'discussion' happened yesterday, it went ok, we agreed to disagree on some points and had some common ground, though i didnt 'rock the boat ' I remained firm in my demeanour . As he was leaving , he said he and the rest of the family would 'pray for me and hope I would find god' , I just gave him a hug and didn't confront this ( though I did feel like saying don't pray for me and I'll not think in your church) . He said 'it is a matter of life and death, it's that important'. I asked clarify: basically , if I don't accept god in my life then I will go to hell!!!
I was shocked to say the least. Then again why should I be shocked??? I don't believe that we all meet up after death , that we are all sinners on earth and I don't believe in heaven. I hadn't really considered hell too much, but I guess I don't believe in It either !!
I told I felt that this was aggressive and punitive, his reply' well that's how it is'
Having reflected, I can only think of Hitch and his summing up at the American baptist church, I have played a favourite clip of mine on YouTube 'hitchens tribute' which is his reply and set to the music of devotchka 'how it ends'
It's helped me gain some focus
Thanks for reading folks
xXAngenlina starXx

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty and wisdom will come to you that way"
Christopher Hitchens

Closing statement of the debate with William Dembski at Prestonwood Baptist Church, Plano Texas November 18th 2010
RE: Hi I'm 'new' again...apparently I'm going to Hell!!!
Welcome to the forum. Smile
Welcome!! Sorry to hear about your in-laws Sad Vent as needed.
I saw your post on freethoughtforums. Welcome along. Hope the situation with your hubbies' family improves.
Welcome Angenlina
My prediction?

Your in-laws will not get better and your husband will only get worse.

People who prefer fantasy to reality are mentally ill at one level or another.

Good luck and feel free to come here for when you need a reality check.
christians, dont worry about it, my wife and in-laws come from Swindon, now there is madness, partners are all the same, it's their strange little foibles that make us love them.

Welcome
Hi Angenlina! Welcome to the least sane oasis of sanity on the web! Despite what certain people would like to have you believe (don't worry you'll soon see what I mean), this is one place where you can speak as freely as you feel comfortable.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Angeline Star,

I'm sorry to say this, but it looks like your husband has got it into his head that he has to push his views.

You could remind him that if there truly is a God as many Christians believe, then he should know that you cannot force God into your heart -- only "God" can do that.

Unless, of course, his belief in God is so weak that he must do for God what God could not do for self.

That is what I said even when I was a Lutheran and I say it still now.

"You cannot force love anymore than the Romans could force Jesus to hate."

Be wary -- many people have split because someone get's it into their head that their spouse is a puppet to be controlled and rewritten.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
Hi Angelina and welcome.

Sorry to hear your husband's being such a dick about this. You could try telling him that God's telling you not to believe in order to test his faith and that he's stuck with it. Maybe that will give him an idea of what it's like to face idiotic ultimatums.
Sum ergo sum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two warnings, already - i'm not going to be here much longer Prof.Lunaphiles 43 9306 April 25, 2020 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  New here...again? The Reality Salesman01 8 1996 October 29, 2017 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Fireball
Lightbulb I really should get going... tykobrian 19 2266 September 24, 2017 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: JackRussell
  I'm not new here, apparently Asmodee 21 2042 September 23, 2016 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Hello, Atheists are going to hell :) Shaddam IV 26 4419 November 23, 2015 at 5:00 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Age 5 - what the hell is going on? Newtonscat 10 2662 January 19, 2015 at 6:47 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  New guy, again Pablo 16 2821 December 10, 2014 at 2:58 am
Last Post: Kitty Galore
  Forced into going to church? katiefranco 23 4719 November 25, 2013 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  New New New Quid 23 4839 December 11, 2012 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Critical Thinking--When Is It Going To Be Used? Frank Palatnick 2 1574 June 28, 2009 at 8:53 pm
Last Post: Frank Palatnick