Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 5:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forced into going to church?
Forced into going to church?
Hi, so I'm new here, as well as fairly new to atheism (a few months.) Anyways, my grandmother who I live with knows that I am, yet forces me to go to church every Sunday, and makes me go to holiday services. So, I'm not THAT annoyed by going, I'm more annoyed that she makes me bring her offering to the plate. (In front of everyone.) I mean, is there a reason for it? It pisses me off to a crazy extent, and just, ugh. Is there anything I could do about this without causing too much drama? I'm just really annoyed at this point.
RE: Forced into going to church?
She's a controlling bitch who feels a need to dominate you by forcing you to things you do not want to do. You didn't say how old you were. I'm assuming for the moment that you are stuck in this situation.

I suspect in the future you will break free of her.
Even after I told my dad I was a non-believer, during every phone call he'd ask me if I'd been going to church. He forced me to go until I went to college, and gave me horrible guilt trips if I didn't go when I was visiting him.

Maybe you could point out to her the compromise you're making by going to church and ask her to stop with the collection plate nonsense
Obviously she just wants to have her in-group see you as being in the fold. If you are dependent on her, it is probably best to play along. Perhaps you can be openly upfront about doing it for her. You could ask her if you had put the offering in the basket with sufficient sincerity. Ask her if she thinks everyone is buying it. See if there is anything more you can do to cover up the fact you think it is all a bunch of hooey. Maybe she'll repent of using you this way?
Pocket the offering and slip an anti-religious note into the basket instead Wink Shades
Or put the cash on the plate and then help yourself to change.

Welcome, by the way!
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(November 17, 2013 at 7:34 pm)freedomfromfallacy Wrote: Pocket the offering and slip an anti-religious note into the basket instead Wink Shades

Clap That's an absolutely perfect idea. IF the offering plate wasn't in the front of the church. I mean, it's right where anyone and everyone will see you bring that offering. I could rant about it for a decade, it's ridiculous.
Welcome to the dark side (according to many theists, anyway).

She's trying to control you and probably things that will some how make you come around to her way of thinking. She possibly also thinks it's a passing fad.

If you can't get out of going to church state to her that you're not going to give.
Dying to live, living to die.
(November 17, 2013 at 8:51 pm)katiefranco Wrote:
(November 17, 2013 at 7:34 pm)freedomfromfallacy Wrote: Pocket the offering and slip an anti-religious note into the basket instead Wink Shades

Clap That's an absolutely perfect idea. IF the offering plate wasn't in the front of the church. I mean, it's right where anyone and everyone will see you bring that offering. I could rant about it for a decade, it's ridiculous.

You might be giving money to an atheist pretending to be clergy.
http://www.clergyproject.org/

That would be ironic if you took freedomfromfallacy's suggestion to steal the money and keep it for yourself.

An atheist pretending to be a priest taking money from parishioners under false pretenses, (fraud) gets robbed by an atheist pretending to put money into the collection bowl which they in turn had stolen from their elderly grandmother.

Nice atheist morality! Well done team.
(November 17, 2013 at 9:20 pm)Lion IRC Wrote:
(November 17, 2013 at 8:51 pm)katiefranco Wrote: Clap That's an absolutely perfect idea. IF the offering plate wasn't in the front of the church. I mean, it's right where anyone and everyone will see you bring that offering. I could rant about it for a decade, it's ridiculous.

You might be giving money to an atheist pretending to be clergy.
http://www.clergyproject.org/

That would be ironic if you took freedomfromfallacy's suggestion to steal the money and keep it for yourself.

An atheist pretending to be a priest taking money from parishioners under false pretenses, (fraud) gets robbed by an atheist pretending to put money into the collection bowl which they in turn had stolen from their elderly grandmother.

Nice atheist morality! Well done team.

I suspect a lot of sarcasm and irony was involved in that statement, not an actual suggestion.

I would suggest putting something other than money on the plate, however.

Personally I'd openly refuse to put anything on the plate.
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two warnings, already - i'm not going to be here much longer Prof.Lunaphiles 43 9287 April 25, 2020 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Dundee
Lightbulb I really should get going... tykobrian 19 2255 September 24, 2017 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: JackRussell
  Hello, Atheists are going to hell :) Shaddam IV 26 4419 November 23, 2015 at 5:00 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Hi I'm 'new' again...apparently I'm going to Hell!!! Angenlina star 27 8576 April 7, 2015 at 6:31 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Age 5 - what the hell is going on? Newtonscat 10 2658 January 19, 2015 at 6:47 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Obligatory into thread! RobbyPants 17 2142 April 5, 2014 at 12:03 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Preachers Kid a forced choice. bladevalant546 35 3855 April 18, 2013 at 4:02 am
Last Post: Aractus
  New user. Thanks for letting me into your group. liferocks 20 7723 June 22, 2011 at 1:44 am
Last Post: Anymouse
  Lurker evolving into a posting member mrjack 9 3140 August 24, 2009 at 11:50 pm
Last Post: Retorth
  Critical Thinking--When Is It Going To Be Used? Frank Palatnick 2 1573 June 28, 2009 at 8:53 pm
Last Post: Frank Palatnick