Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to make stress your friend
How to make stress your friend
My youngest daughter takes an online health class as part of her freshman year in high school. She's learning about stress and time management this week in class and had to watch a video about how to make stress your friend. It's only 14 and a half minutes long, but I felt it was worth sharing to see if anyone could critique it and give some feedback to me about it. I'm really stressed out about a lot of things and perhaps if I had some other opinions on this particular subject and the studies that were done, I might be encouraged to start changing the way I think about how stress affects my life. 

Any thoughts, positive or negative, would be appreciated. 

Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
RE: How to make stress your friend
I don't need to watch the video.

The main source of stress is people worrying about that which they cannot change in relation to others or situations outside of their control.

Instead of focusing on what one cannot change or control, one should focus merely on what one can personally and feasibly accomplish in relation to one's self.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(September 30, 2017 at 7:18 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: I don't need to watch the video.

The main source of stress is people worrying about that which they cannot change in relation to others or situations outside of their control.

Instead of focusing on what one cannot change or control, one should focus merely on what one can personally and feasibly accomplish in relation to one's self.

True however, if the thing is directly affecting oneself, then it is unavoidable. And instead of thinking negatively about it, they should think positively about the stress - like your body is trying to prepare yourself for what is about to happen. 

Watch the video. It's surprisingly not about what you can or can't control. It's about how you should think about stress. There were studies mentioned in the video that directly correlate to this very thing (hence, why they're in the video).
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
I think human connection can be very important, but it can also be damaging (i.e. the toxic people in one's life). Interesting video. Lots to digest. TED talks are good.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Yeah, I just subscribed to their YouTube channel.
I'm retired.  What is this "stress" shit of which you speak?
(September 30, 2017 at 7:35 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I'm retired.  What is this "stress" shit of which you speak?

It is the overwhelming desire to choke the living shit out of some asshole who desperately deserves it.
[Image: stock-vector-vector-smiley-chuckle-305960576.jpg]
(September 30, 2017 at 7:24 pm)Joods Wrote:
(September 30, 2017 at 7:18 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: I don't need to watch the video.

True however, if the thing is directly affecting oneself, then it is unavoidable. And instead of thinking negatively about it, they should think positively about the stress - like your body is trying to prepare yourself for what is about to happen. 

Watch the video. It's surprisingly not about what you can or can't control. It's about how you should think about stress. There were studies mentioned in the video that directly correlate to this very thing (hence, why they're in the video).

I've seen this video years ago and it's a very good video. I also strongly recommend watching it.

There's also this thing called eustress that's good stress. Not all stress is bad. And how you think about stress very much affects how it affects you.

I fucking love TED.
I had a lot of stress in my work life, mostly from the long commute amongst crazy drivers. At work as well as in school, I used stress as a whip to get the job done. Generally, it just made me look for ways to work smarter and/or harder. I've had toxic management (both male and female), and I really don't like that; it's just too of a much distraction. I retired just under 3 years ago, and my stress level is considerably lower.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about outbursts of anger while under stress purplepurpose 18 1966 April 7, 2018 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Quixotic
  Stress is GOOD! The Reality Salesman01 6 1623 November 16, 2013 at 1:01 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01