Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apes Make and Use Tools
Apes Make and Use Tools
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn22...L|dn22197/

There is a brief advertisement in the video before it gets to the point.

Quote:Kanzi the bonobo continues to impress. Not content with learning sign language or making up "words" for things like banana or juice, he now seems capable of making stone tools on a par with the efforts of early humans.

Eviatar Nevo of the University of Haifa in Israel and his colleagues sealed food inside a log to mimic marrow locked inside long bones, and watched Kanzi, a 30-year-old male bonobo chimp, try to extract it. While a companion bonobo attempted the problem a handful of times, and succeeded only by smashing the log on the ground, Kanzi took a longer and arguably more sophisticated approach.
RE: Apes Make and Use Tools
Not only apes use tools, monkeys do too Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3udzhDvsG-s
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

....as do crows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhmZBMuZ6vE
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
Yep, Kanzi is a flint knapper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gys8fPJM_U
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
There was an article on the distinction between humans and animals in last month's Harper's.
For your reading enjoyment:
http://www.harpers.org/archive/2012/08/0084016
(Edited to add: I should check my links out before posting them... this does indeed lead to the article, but when you try to open it it wants you to subscribe, so either subscribe or head to the local library!)

Basically it comes down to language. Which is a tricky subject when it comes to animals, as the article discusses. Interesting read, though.
Yeah, the more we investigate the vocalizations of rhesus monkeys, the more attributes of a language it seem to possess. That's only because in the wild, the habits of rhesus monkeys makes their vocalizations relative ease to investigate. We don't even know what chimp vocalizations really contain, because their habits makes it difficult for us to evesdrop.

But certainly groups of chimps in the wild exhibit behavior suggestive of group discussion in formulating group plans.
Nothing new here, we've been doing it for years Tongue
I once saw a video of an ape in some lab playing a piano. I thought it was interesting that it was playing what sounded like notes only of the pentatonic scale. Pentatonic scale is commonly found in societies with a more primitive understanding of music.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
So apes will evolve in their own way,but how much time will this need before they will get so crazy as homo sapiens.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmM7-ByoFl8US4y_iRp5-...g86MG6N622]

Loads of animals use tools. Only a few make them. Fascinating, isn't it? Nice reminder that we're not so special after all, huh, A theist?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What moral justification besides bodily autonomy do you use to support the position t DogmaticDownSouth 29 6427 July 5, 2017 at 10:51 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  On Apes? TrueChristian 33 4036 February 27, 2016 at 12:21 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  What can other great apes really do? Alex K 20 4404 May 11, 2015 at 3:21 am
Last Post: Alex K
  We've been using tools longer than we thought... Creed of Heresy 6 2865 December 18, 2013 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Researchers Find More Evidence That Dolphins Use Names pocaracas 6 2215 July 25, 2013 at 11:02 am
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Pharma company protests use of epilepsy med for executions. Anymouse 13 5128 August 20, 2011 at 12:13 am
Last Post: theVOID