Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 1:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richard Dawkins new book out in 2009
Richard Dawkins new book out in 2009
Richard Dawkins Wrote:Long before Houghton Mifflin's current difficulties arose, I had signed a contract for the American edition of my next book with Free Press (a division of Simon and Schuster). The British edition will be published by Trans World (a division of Random House) who also published The God Delusion. The new book is called "The Greatest Show on Earth: the evidence for evolution". I delivered it to the publishers last week, and it will appear in the autumn of 2009. Nineteen contracts with foreign language publishers have been signed so far.

Although Houghton Mifflin are not my current American publishers, I had a very good relationship with them and I wish them well. I understand that they have announced a temporary freeze on buying new books. No doubt the freeze will enable them to concentrate on promoting their excellent back list, which includes four of my books: Unweaving the Rainbow, A Devil's Chaplain, The Ancestor's Tale and The God Delusion.

Richard

Bad news for that specific publisher, but good news for us. Next year a new book by RD on Evolution, just as I like it.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
RE: Richard Dawkins new book out in 2009
I've just bought an RDF hoodie Big Grin

[Image: RDF_hoodie_both.jpg]
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
I donated money for Martin Wagner's lawsuit, and as a thank you I am receiving a Atheist Experience T-shirt.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Good for you Smile

I'm thinking of buying a small RDF hoodie for my son when he goes back to school. According to him, all of his teachers are Christian, without exception Dodgy
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Hey it beats being an alcoholic, so I've heard.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Pastafarian
(December 30, 2008 at 6:52 am)leo-rcc Wrote: I donated money for Martin Wagner's lawsuit, and as a thank you I am receiving a Atheist Experience T-shirt.

Lawsuit?
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Cool, looking forward to the new book!
So far I have TGD as I'm sure some of you at least will know. I got it in like september. Few days before I joined this forum.
For Christmas I got The Blind Watchmaker! I been reading bits of it, but when I have time free and decide to sit down I might read like 90% of the book in one sitting like TGD. Smile
I like reading lots at once. You really get into the book. When I come back later after reading lots I don't take it in as well.
Evf
Yes, the website is now down, but basically it was this.

Some moronic fundie made a huge article "Logical Proof of the Existence of a Divine Creator, Why Atheism is Not Logically Sound" with more straw man arguments and fallacies you can shake a stick at. And Martin Wagner of the ACA did what he does well and completely annihilated the article in an excellent rebuttal. Of course when fundies get backed into a corner they start to lash out and start crying on a fundie-friendly forum. With some new-found courage the fundie the goes to the RDF where he claims how bad he has been treated and of course there he gets the exact same response as a fundie would get here. By that time he started his spamming campaign and threats, which Martin takes in his stride, as a host on the Atheist Experience and the non-prohets radio show he would be doing a bad job if he didn't get spammed by disgruntled fundies. Smile

But then the fundie started to mutilite Martins wiki with accusations of drug abuse and pedophilia! Martin would never have sued him if he hadn't continued over three solid months of harassment, until he was just tired of it all and decided the guy needed a lesson. So Martin filed a lawsuit and accepted donations for the legal fees. In return as a thank you he had new shirts printed for the Atheist Experience and every donation over 16 USD would get a shirt.

The fundie has backed down now, and Martin dropped the charges.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Pastafarian
I love it when ignorant fundies try to use the legal system Smile
Wow, only one of the replies in this thread is actually on-topic.

I think this is a good topic for RD's next book. There seems to be this idea among average people that evolution doesn't have evidence behind it, that it's just a hypothesis that Darwin thought up and everyone just went along with it. Even people who accept evolution, people who aren't religious, people who are smart don't fully understand the evidence and support for evolution.

I can only hope this book is accessible (ie. not written like a scientific journal), contains lots of great photographs and illustrations, as well as extensive references for the more scientificly inclined. There are a lot of people who need to read a book like this.

It's almost as if The God Delusion is the philosophical and logical support for science (and evolution specifically) over religion (and creationism specifically), and this will be the hard evidence to compliment it.

To be honest I doubt I'll read this, but thumbs up to Dawkins for putting it to paper.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I am researching a book. Input? CosmicCelticAtheist 26 1759 November 1, 2023 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Dawkins, Rowling, Sunak et al on Trans Issue and Women's Rights. Nishant Xavier 63 3247 July 15, 2023 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Dawkins loses humanist title Foxaèr 165 6477 June 6, 2021 at 1:45 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Book Recommendations Gnomey 40 2432 July 22, 2020 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Richard Dawkins interviews Saudi Arabian atheist Rana Ahmad AniKoferBo 2 798 July 22, 2020 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  [Serious] Book reports Belacqua 75 6764 December 6, 2019 at 11:51 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Sending a book back in time Rahn127 23 2490 November 14, 2019 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Ricky Gervais won Dawkins award this year Fake Messiah 13 2279 September 6, 2019 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Dawkins writing kid's version of "The God Delusion" - you mad bro? Foxaèr 35 5536 August 2, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Geoff Robson has a hardon for Dawkins Foxaèr 7 1694 May 10, 2018 at 5:55 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet