Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am researching a book. Input?
I am researching a book. Input?
Christians tend to ignore the Old Testament, dismissing it as too harsh, bloody, boring, and even hokey. They pay lip service to it but don't really try to live by it.

How could God have a hand in anything preposterous as the Old Testament? If God is a loving God, then why does he seem so harsh and vengeful in the Old Testament?

According to progressive revelation, God purposely limited how much of his nature and characteristics he displayed to the Israelites, probably because they weren't "ready" for it. However, this explanation seems like a ham-fisted way to go about things. He could have MADE them ready.

Progressive revelation doesn't work. The idea that God would mislead the Israelites with a distorted understanding of himself and his designs seems unlikely and unfair. Moreover, this faulty perception would be amended when Jesus showed up, but by then, the Jews would be lost. In essence, God would have set them up to reject Jesus' sacrifice on the cross.

Final revelation is redundant, and progressive revelation doesn't match the Old Testament text. Believers go to such lengths to prop up scripture, ignoring the obvious truth that the Bible is just the words of men. So much is riding on scripture being God's word to us because we know that God's not speaking clearly to us in any other way.

God does not reveal himself except through the universe he has blanketed around us. Scientific evidence becomes our scripture, and there is no supernatural realm where God lives and hordes his secrets. Whatever God was, he is utterly natural. He is the ultimate non-reality.

The Old Testament is bunk, and the New Testament is every bit as unreliable as the Old Testament, just in a different way. Believers must learn to accept that the Bible is merely a product of human imagination and not divine revelation.
RE: I am researching a book. Input?
Maybe I'm missing something, but what does this have to do with you researching a book?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 1, 2023 at 3:45 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Maybe I'm missing something, but what does this have to do with you researching a book?

Boru

Yes, I am. I am looking for collaborators on my book if possible.

Before we get into the madness and idiocy that are the books of the bible. I should mention that there are many books left out of the bible. My question is why? Who decides what books stay and which ones are tossed away?
Here is a list of those books. We will revisit them later in this book.
·       The Book of Enoch
·       The Protevangelion
·       The Gospel of the Infancy of Jesus Christ
·       The Infancy Gospel of Thomas
·       The Book of Jesus Christ
·       The Gospel of Nicodemus (Acts of Pilate)
·       The Apostles' Creed (throughout history)
·       The Epistle of Paul the Apostle to the Laodiceans
·       The Epistles of Paul the Apostle to Seneca, with Seneca's to Paul
·       The Acts of Paul and Thecla
·       The Epistles of Clement (The First and Second Epistles of Clement to the Corinthians)
·       The Epistle of Barnabas
·       The Epistle of Ignatius to the Ephesians
·       The Epistle of Ignatius to the Magnesians
·       The Epistle of Ignatius to the Trallians
·       The Epistle of Ignatius to the Romans
·       The Epistle of Ignatius to the Philadelphians
·       The Epistle of Ignatius to the Smyrneans
·       The Epistle of Ignatius to Polycarp
·       The Shepherd of Hermas (Visions, Commands, and Similitudes)
·       Letter of Herod To Pilate the Governor
·       Letter of Pilate to Herod
·       The Lost Gospel of Peter
·       The Epistle of Polycarp to the Philippians
·       The History of Susana
If you get the chance, I suggest that you read some of these books, especially The Book of Jesus Christ or the “Infancy Gospel of Thomas.” It is enlightening…
But I have gone off track. I apologize.

THE BOOK OF GENESIS

The Book of Genesis is the first book of the Hebrew Bible and the Christian Old Testament. Its Hebrew name is the same as its first word, Bereshit ('In the beginning'). Genesis is an account of the creation of the world, the early history of humanity, and of Israel's ancestors and the origins of the Jewish people.

We could go deep into detail about this book, for instance:
Tradition credits Moses as the author of Genesis, as well as the books of Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and most of Deuteronomy; however, modern scholars, especially from the 19th century onward, place the books' authorship in the 6th and 5th centuries BC, hundreds of years after Moses is supposed to have lived. Based on scientific interpretation of archaeological, genetic, and linguistic evidence, most mainstream Bible scholars consider Genesis to be primarily mythological rather than historical.
Then why is it still included in the book (bible)?
Not to mention the "Apocryphal books."
^Is this an excerpt from your book?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
No Sir. Just facts I am gathering.
The history of the canon of scripture, the slow formation of the bible, is highly complex and much studied. There are multiple canons (Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox, Copitc etc) for a start. It was a messy process lasting a very long time.

If you want to comment on this process in a credible manner you will have to engage in serious study of this, or at least reference the relevant scholars. In all honesty, I suggest starting with wikipedia and then working from there.
If the Bible is full of madness and idiocy, why would you possible care what books are left out of it? Would you expect the inclusion of the listed books to make the Bible less mad and idiotic?

As an atheist, I wouldn’t much care if the Bible included anything from recipes to auto repair. It still wouldn’t make me a believer.
Boru
(November 1, 2023 at 4:05 am)CosmicCelticAtheist Wrote:
(November 1, 2023 at 3:45 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Maybe I'm missing something, but what does this have to do with you researching a book?

Boru

Yes, I am. I am looking for collaborators on my book if possible.

Before we get into the madness and idiocy that are the books of the bible. I should mention that there are many books left out of the bible. My question is why? Who decides what books stay and which ones are tossed away?
Here is a list of those books. We will revisit them later in this book.
·       The Book of Enoch
·       The Protevangelion
·       The Gospel of the Infancy of Jesus Christ
·       The Infancy Gospel of Thomas
·       The Book of Jesus Christ
·       The Gospel of Nicodemus (Acts of Pilate)
·       The Apostles' Creed (throughout history)
·       The Epistle of Paul the Apostle to the Laodiceans
·       The Epistles of Paul the Apostle to Seneca, with Seneca's to Paul
·       The Acts of Paul and Thecla
·       The Epistles of Clement (The First and Second Epistles of Clement to the Corinthians)
·       The Epistle of Barnabas
·       The Epistle of Ignatius to the Ephesians
·       The Epistle of Ignatius to the Magnesians
·       The Epistle of Ignatius to the Trallians
·       The Epistle of Ignatius to the Romans
·       The Epistle of Ignatius to the Philadelphians
·       The Epistle of Ignatius to the Smyrneans
·       The Epistle of Ignatius to Polycarp
·       The Shepherd of Hermas (Visions, Commands, and Similitudes)
·       Letter of Herod To Pilate the Governor
·       Letter of Pilate to Herod
·       The Lost Gospel of Peter
·       The Epistle of Polycarp to the Philippians
·       The History of Susana
If you get the chance, I suggest that you read some of these books, especially The Book of Jesus Christ or the “Infancy Gospel of Thomas.” It is enlightening…
But I have gone off track. I apologize.

THE BOOK OF GENESIS

The Book of Genesis is the first book of the Hebrew Bible and the Christian Old Testament. Its Hebrew name is the same as its first word, Bereshit ('In the beginning'). Genesis is an account of the creation of the world, the early history of humanity, and of Israel's ancestors and the origins of the Jewish people.

We could go deep into detail about this book, for instance:
Tradition credits Moses as the author of Genesis, as well as the books of Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and most of Deuteronomy; however, modern scholars, especially from the 19th century onward, place the books' authorship in the 6th and 5th centuries BC, hundreds of years after Moses is supposed to have lived. Based on scientific interpretation of archaeological, genetic, and linguistic evidence, most mainstream Bible scholars consider Genesis to be primarily mythological rather than historical.
Then why is it still included in the book (bible)?
Not to mention the "Apocryphal books."

Here is my list of books for you to read to help you. 

"The God Delusion" Richard Dawkins 
"God The Failed Hypothesis" Victor Stenger
"The New Atheism" also by Victor Stenger 
"The End of Faith" Sam Harris 
"Infidel" Ayaan Hirsi Ali 
""God Is Not Great, how religion poisons everything" Christopher Hitchens 

And you can always consult for free "Skeptics Annotated Bible"  online at their website too. 

It looks like you are attacking the credibility of the bible being a history book as your theme, that is certainly a nail in the credibility coffin, but these other books mentioned above add to it the scientific and social studies aspects of religions in general. 

There are lots of ways to attack the credibility of the bible. The bible was never a real history book, but it can be considered a history of mythology book. 

You can go after the OT and NT contradictions, such "eyewitness accounts" "begats", contradictions between the gospels, lots of facets.
(November 1, 2023 at 5:49 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: If the Bible is full of madness and idiocy, why would you possible care what books are left out of it? Would you expect the inclusion of the listed books to make the Bible less mad and idiotic?

As an atheist, I wouldn’t much care if the Bible included anything from recipes to auto repair. It still wouldn’t make me a believer.
Boru

Have you ever tried to change the spring breaks on a 1970s Dodge Dart? I have. I had no knuckles or fingers after that.
@CosmicCelticAtheist  Welcome woof new entity.

I'm afraid I won't be much help. After reading the bible a couple of times I've come to the conclusion that I no longer need to torture myself.

Good luck with what ever you're trying to accomplish. Can we interest you in creating an introduction thread?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Book Recommendations Gnomey 40 2448 July 22, 2020 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Serious] Book reports Belacqua 75 6796 December 6, 2019 at 11:51 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Sending a book back in time Rahn127 23 2505 November 14, 2019 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Stupid Book 'Abundant Living' RiddledWithFear 8 1877 December 20, 2016 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Book suggestion: "God Hates You, Hate Him Back" drfuzzy 8 2852 June 28, 2016 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: emjay
  In need of a book suggestion Sara0229 29 6216 January 4, 2016 at 2:26 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  CJ Werleman Loses the Plot in New Book The Valkyrie 4 1663 September 16, 2015 at 7:29 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Jerry Coyne's new book: Faith Versus Fact Mudhammam 17 5937 August 13, 2015 at 12:22 am
Last Post: smsavage32
  Atheist Bible book 1 genesis part 1 dyresand 41 12265 October 28, 2014 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  I accidentally stole a copy of the Book of Mormon JesusHChrist 10 2973 April 8, 2014 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan