Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book Recommendations
Book Recommendations
Hey folks - hit me with all your favourite atheist books! Here's some I've read or are on my list already:

Mom, Dad, I'm am Atheist by David G McAfee
Godless by Dan Barker
God is not Great by Christopher Hitchens
The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
The Happy Atheist by PZ Myers

Not exactly an atheist book, but God dies or is the bad guy or something (and my parents didn't want me reading it as a kid) so I wanna read The Golden Compass. And subsequent books.

What else you all got?

- Gnomey
RE: Book Recommendations
What would qualify as an atheist book, for you? A book specifically arguing for atheism or just any book by an atheist? Or something else?

EDIT: Taking a stab in the dark, if The Golden Compass qualifies then I should think that 'The Good Book: A Humanist Bible' by A.C.Grayling qualifies. If that counts as an atheist book but just any book by an atheist doesn't ... then I should say that 'The Good Book' by A.C.Grayling is my favorite 'atheist book'. I think you would like it.

EDIT 2: In some places it's named 'The Good Book: A Secular Bible' instead.

EDIT 3: You can also watch some YouTube lectures about the book by the author himself on YouTube ... I'd post the videos but posting the videos counts as posting links and I can't post links yet.

EDIT 4: Oh, he also wrote a book against the existence of God called 'The God Argument: The Case Against Religion and for Humanism' but I haven't read that one. But I forgot about that one and I'll order it right now, on Amazon, actually.
"Zen … does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God while one is peeling potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes." - Alan Watts
(July 18, 2020 at 11:55 am)Gnomey Wrote: Hey folks - hit me with all your favourite atheist books! Here's some I've read or are on my list already:

Godless by Dan Barker

Not exactly an atheist book, but God dies or is the bad guy or something (and my parents didn't want me reading it as a kid) so I wanna read The Golden Compass. And subsequent books.

What else you all got?

- Gnomey

The Bible. And I think it’s weird that you sign your posts. You should stop immediately.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 18, 2020 at 12:15 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(July 18, 2020 at 11:55 am)Gnomey Wrote: Hey folks - hit me with all your favourite atheist books! Here's some I've read or are on my list already:

Godless by Dan Barker

What else you all got?

- Gnomey

The Bible. And I think it’s weird that you sign your posts. You should stop immediately.

Boru

It's always wrong and redundant to sign-off when one need not do so.

Signed,

The person who wrote this.
"Zen … does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God while one is peeling potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes." - Alan Watts
(July 18, 2020 at 12:34 pm)Porcupine Wrote:
(July 18, 2020 at 12:15 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The Bible. And I think it’s weird that you sign your posts. You should stop immediately.

Boru

It's always wrong and redundant to sign-off when one need not do so.

Signed,

If your going to steal my jokes, have the good grace to wait at least a few posts before doing so.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 18, 2020 at 12:55 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(July 18, 2020 at 12:34 pm)Porcupine Wrote: It's always wrong and redundant to sign-off when one need not do so.

Signed,

If your going to steal my jokes, have the good grace to wait at least a few posts before doing so.

Boru

Apologies. How long ago was it when you first met the person who you, yourself, initially stole the joke from?

"An original idea. That can't be too hard. The library must be full of them." - Stephen fry
(July 18, 2020 at 12:58 pm)Porcupine Wrote:
(July 18, 2020 at 12:55 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: If your going to steal my jokes, have the good grace to wait at least a few posts before doing so.

Boru

Apologies. How long ago was it when you first met the person who you, yourself, initially stole the joke from?

"An original idea. That can't be too hard. The library must be full of them." - Stephen fry

I don’t generally steal jokes like the one above (although I happily admit to the theft of story-type jokes).

What I did in this thread was spontaneous and is called ‘wit’.

Boru
(July 18, 2020 at 1:00 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: What I did in this thread was spontaneous and is called ‘wit’.

"What I did in this thread was spontaneous and is called ‘wit’." - inspired from a joke uttered by Rowan Atkinson as Blackadder

No verbatim theft, plus you waited a long while!
(July 18, 2020 at 11:57 am)Porcupine Wrote: What would qualify as an atheist book, for you? A book specifically arguing for atheism or just any book by an atheist? Or something else?
(...)

I think the vagueness of what I mean by "atheist book" is intentional - I want to leave it pretty open to see what comes up.

Mostly, I think I mean any book that contains atheist or anti-theist ideas and arguments. You could argue that any scientific book falls under this category, I suppose - and books like Sapiens and Homo Deus have certainly strengthened my atheist outlook. While I think I'm looking for books that focus more on religious or anti-religous concepts, I love reading and learning so many different things that I don't want to close the door on any book that might present a new and interesting perspective.

Do with that as you will! 😊

(July 18, 2020 at 12:15 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The Bible. And I think it’s weird that you sign your posts. You should stop immediately.

Boru

As someone who's already wasted far too much time in her life reading that monstrosity of contradictions and crimes against humanity, I think it's safe and appropriate for me to say "fuck that shit!"

As for post-signing - 🙂
Sorry, I've never read any "Atheist" books. Had lots of people tell me about them, that's enough.

I do like the Skeptics Annotated Bible when interacting with a theist and there is a bible quote/reference I'm not sure of.

https://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I am researching a book. Input? CosmicCelticAtheist 26 1786 November 1, 2023 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Serious] Book reports Belacqua 75 6782 December 6, 2019 at 11:51 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Sending a book back in time Rahn127 23 2504 November 14, 2019 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Stupid Book 'Abundant Living' RiddledWithFear 8 1877 December 20, 2016 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Book suggestion: "God Hates You, Hate Him Back" drfuzzy 8 2836 June 28, 2016 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: emjay
  In need of a book suggestion Sara0229 29 6211 January 4, 2016 at 2:26 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  CJ Werleman Loses the Plot in New Book The Valkyrie 4 1662 September 16, 2015 at 7:29 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Jerry Coyne's new book: Faith Versus Fact Mudhammam 17 5921 August 13, 2015 at 12:22 am
Last Post: smsavage32
  Atheist Bible book 1 genesis part 1 dyresand 41 12263 October 28, 2014 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  I accidentally stole a copy of the Book of Mormon JesusHChrist 10 2970 April 8, 2014 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan