Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hector Avalos - Interesting Essay.
Hector Avalos - Interesting Essay.
http://www.bibleinterp.com/articles/lite...7930.shtml

Quote:It is no secret that I have proposed to end biblical studies as we know it. Biblical studies, as we know it, is still largely a religionist and apologetic enterprise meant to serve the needs of faith communities. It is still part of an ecclesial-academic complex.

Having presented a detailed case in my book, The End of Biblical Studies (2007), my purpose here is to show how concerns over biblical illiteracy are historically recent and cyclical. The historiography of biblical illiteracy is omitted in the comments of Philip Davies (“Whose Bible is it? Anyone’s?”), Stephen Prothero, and Elisabeth Schüssler Fiorenza.i However, knowing this history has implications for the future of biblical studies. My main point is that biblical illiteracy should not always be regarded as a bad thing.

I, of course, fully agree!
RE: Hector Avalos - Interesting Essay.
I think the author has a very interesting point. In the Bible studies that I have participated (albeit youth Bible studies), they were geared more towards the apologetic crowd. They were always more focused about keeping the strong believers in the church and were less concerned about the less zealous bunch.

Quote:Surveys repeatedly show that Christian populations, when left to their own devices, do not seem too interested in Bible reading unless convinced otherwise by their authorities. As it is, note the paradox of publishers citing inflated sales figures for Bibles as proof that the Bible matters, and religion professors complaining that few people are actually reading the Bibles being sold.

It's pretty interesting how Christians rarely read their own holy book, and they claim that the Bible is the true, living word of God. I wonder what would happen if they read some of the Old Testament?
"If your god has to make peace with me in my final hour when he has my whole lifetime to prove his existence to me...do you think I should bother?"

"But the happiness of an atheist is neither the vacuous enjoyment of a fool, nor the short-lived pleasure of a rogue. It is rather the expression of a disposition that has ceased to torture itself with foolish fancies, or perplex itself with useless beliefs." - Chapman Cohen
RE: Hector Avalos - Interesting Essay.
The embarrassing parts they pronounce either "symbolic" or "obsolete." It would appear that far too many of them think their godboy was lying when he allegedly said:

Quote:Matthew 5:18 (King James Version)

18For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Interesting correlation between God and light in major world religions... Ajay0 17 1829 May 24, 2019 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  An Interesting Article on Religious Tolerance AFTT47 3 776 June 25, 2018 at 4:00 am
Last Post: Aroura
  Had an interesting encounter with a so called Christian on social media today GODZILLA 16 2458 May 24, 2018 at 12:19 am
Last Post: Astreja
  An interesting Muslim-Atheist discussion on Religion and Rationality SuperSentient 10 2886 March 5, 2017 at 11:12 pm
Last Post: SuperSentient
  Nice Essay About Jesus, Art, and Cesare Borgia! Minimalist 7 1658 March 15, 2015 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  An interesting view from Isaac Newton on prophecy professor 1 1516 October 20, 2013 at 10:11 am
Last Post: Something completely different
  An interesting quote Nine 14 5834 April 19, 2012 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: fuckass365
  Interesting figures Rwandrall 3 1591 August 24, 2011 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: R-e-n-n-a-t
  An Essay by Philip R. Davies Minimalist 0 1221 April 27, 2010 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Interesting Find in Turkey Minimalist 27 7552 April 10, 2010 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist