Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An interesting Muslim-Atheist discussion on Religion and Rationality
An interesting Muslim-Atheist discussion on Religion and Rationality
A discussion on religion and rationality with Hamza Tzortzis and Pervez Hoodbhoy (Almost 2 hours):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUNPq5qn3U0

Here is a video I found that does good at summarizing the significant parts of the discussion into 5-6 minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB7xeoKqo4I

What do you you think of these discussions?
Hail Satan!  Bow Down Diablo

RE: An interesting Muslim-Atheist discussion on Religion and Rationality
(March 5, 2017 at 7:02 pm)TheAtheologian Wrote: A discussion on religion and rationality with Hamza Tzortzis and Pervez Hoodbhoy (Almost 2 hours):

Here is a video I found that does good at summarizing the significant parts of the discussion into 5-6 minutes:

Well, it ain't Hitchens.

Was actually hoping for a throw-down there at the conclusion.

Hamza has a weak chin and probably giving a few inches on reach to boot.
(March 5, 2017 at 7:24 pm)PETE_ROSE Wrote:
(March 5, 2017 at 7:02 pm)TheAtheologian Wrote: A discussion on religion and rationality with Hamza Tzortzis and Pervez Hoodbhoy (Almost 2 hours):

Well, it ain't Hitchens.

Was actually hoping for a throw-down there at the conclusion.

Hamza has a weak chin and probably giving a few inches on reach to boot.

What did Hitchens add to discussions and debates that were significant?

Entertainment. Criticism. A spectacular command of the English language. Snark. Sarcasm. Wit. Humor. British accent.
Not wasting 2 hours. Tell us what you think.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 5, 2017 at 8:44 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Not wasting 2 hours. Tell us what you think.

Did you watch the 5-6 minute video?

Well, the Muslim Hamza Tzortzis debated several atheists and states the same two arguments over and over:

1. Kalam Cosmological Argument

2. Qur'anic argument for Islam (stating that the language of the Qur'an is apparently so miraculous that it represents a divine miracle and truth of Islam)

In this discussion, he starts by stating that he doesn't want to have a debate but a discussion about the topic (religion and rationality). He then goes over the Kalam Cosmological Argument, saying that the universe has a beginning and the idea of the universe coming into existence without a cause cannot be true because "from nothing, nothing comes", and equates it with a mother giving birth to herself. He claimed that by using our reasoning and logic, we come to the conclusion that God exists. He said that it wasn't God of the gaps but reasoning, which he claims the Qur'an promotes. To him, rationality and science supports Islam. He then goes on the Qur'an and talks about the distinctive language of the Qur'an and its difference from other works like Shakespeares writings. He then goes on about scientism and how irrational it is since scientism requires philosophy to be proclaimed as true. He claims that the Qur'an tells us to think rationally and not just accept something to be true shallowly (that is ironic with religion).

Professor Hoodbhoy speaks about how science relies on a universal method that leads to similar conclusions and agreements among people. Religion on the other hand is very numerous but truth is never agreed upon, many different gods and explanations exist. Religion has offered explanations that the reason disasters happened is because of a displeased god, but science has its own verified and universally accepted explanations. He holds to the view that mixing religion and science is dangerous for rational thinking. One great part is when Hoodbhoy was puzzled on Hamza bringing up M-theory and physics and challenged him to write Einsteins equations on the board but turned it down. 

In the end of the discussion Hamza states that Hoodbhoy hates the Muslim world, Hoodbhoy says he is lying, and Hamza then denies he said that and catches himself. Hamza then complains that Hoodbhoy didn't address his premises/arguments when it wasn't a debate anyways (as Hamza has stated in the beginning). Hamza starts to claim that Hoodbhoy does show signs of hatred for Muslims and Hoodbhoy walks away from the discussion while Hamza refers to Hoodbhoy as arrogant.

It wasn't so great of a discussion but was interesting to me. It represented a basic case for Islam (that Islam is apparently true out of all the other thousands of religions and a monotheistic abrahamic God [Allah] exists as opposed to the others) and on the flip side, a basic case against religion as rational.

Hamza Tzortzis again? The muslim William Lane Craig? Founder of the anti-semitic hate group iERA, who has gone on record as saying "We as Muslims reject the idea of freedom of speech, and even the idea of freedom"?

No thanks.

First and foremost, I'd much rather watch him embarrassing himself against PZ Myers (as much as Myers has since lost my respect):

and later getting schooled by the Texan Tank:

At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(March 5, 2017 at 10:51 pm)Stimbo Wrote: First and foremost, I'd much rather watch him embarrassing himself against PZ Myers (as much as Myers has since lost my respect):

I don't keep up with these people very well. What has he done to lose respect?
A combination of ElevatorGate, Atheism Plus, GamerGate, and the FreeThought Blogs meltdown. Don't get me wrong, I still think Myers is a good atheist orator, and his reputation as a biologist is well-deserved. I just think he has some rather unpalatable views in certain areas. Not as objectionable as Tzortzis, of course, which makes for an entertaining encounter.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Ah, thanks for filling me in.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can you be a "Non religious muslim"? Woah0 31 1774 August 22, 2022 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Muslim students less likely to be awarded top class degrees. Succubus#2 28 2348 March 22, 2020 at 6:02 am
Last Post: Belacqua
Smile Interesting correlation between God and light in major world religions... Ajay0 17 1850 May 24, 2019 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  An Interesting Article on Religious Tolerance AFTT47 3 778 June 25, 2018 at 4:00 am
Last Post: Aroura
  Had an interesting encounter with a so called Christian on social media today GODZILLA 16 2467 May 24, 2018 at 12:19 am
Last Post: Astreja
  A friendly religious discussion with theists without any fallacies! ignoramus 18 3216 May 14, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10722 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
Video Angry Atheist: Michael Jackson, atheism and religion robvalue 32 5196 March 14, 2016 at 5:28 am
  Here's what can happen to an atheist in a Muslim country drfuzzy 12 2212 February 13, 2016 at 12:19 pm
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4906 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger