Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An interesting quote
An interesting quote
I was just having a quick look at some quotes and I found this gem. Figured I would share it Smile

Donald Morgan Wrote:Jesus` last words on the cross, `My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?` hardly seem like the words of a man who planned it that way. It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure there is something wrong here.

Goes quite well with this one:

Isaac Asimov Wrote:Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.
RE: An interesting quote
Um....not according to fucking "Luke."

Quote:46 Jesus called out with a loud voice, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.”[e] When he had said this, he breathed his last.

Must be another one of those damned "contradictions" that the nutbags say do not exist.
(April 18, 2012 at 9:53 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Um....not according to fucking "Luke."

Quote:46 Jesus called out with a loud voice, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.”[e] When he had said this, he breathed his last.

Must be another one of those damned "contradictions" that the nutbags say do not exist.

The more I learn about this magical book the more I start to think that it was made up Thinking
Ding...ding....ding....we have a winner!
From memory,I think there are seven utterances attributed to Jesus on the cross. Rather than admit the contradictions,apologists decided he said the lot,as is their wont. They make it sound as if he never shut up.

In his place, I like to think that between screams I would be hurling very coarse invective at the Roman guards, in hope that they would shove a spear in me.
And of course there is always old "John" sticking his nose in with yet another "last word."

Quote:0 When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.
An interesting quote
I like System of a down's rendition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bDCDfYlZbg

(This is the best vid I could find of the final part of the song. :/)
(April 18, 2012 at 10:33 pm)Minimalist Wrote: And of course there is always old "John" sticking his nose in with yet another "last word."

Quote:0 When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.

Was that line written by the original author of John, it is clear if you use form criticism that the New Testament has been reacted by the 'Porto-Orthodox' at various stages, mostly in order to refute assorted 'Heresies'

Bart D Ehrman argues to a limited extent very well in Forged. However he is too timid to suggest what is obviously a lot more 'forgery' and reaction in the New Testament. For example the original Marcionite Gospel of Luke has been edited to a large extent by the same person who wrote the Book of Acts.
undefined
(April 18, 2012 at 10:25 pm)padraic Wrote: From memory,I think there are seven utterances attributed to Jesus on the cross. Rather than admit the contradictions,apologists decided he said the lot,as is their wont. They make it sound as if he never shut up.

lol They shove in "The Spear of Destiny" and hes still reading out a list of one-liners. Guard who did it just walks away pissed off and one other guard shouts:

"Steve! Come on man, hes not worth it! *turns to Jesus* You see what you did now?"

"Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise."

"... Are you coming on to me?"
I never read "Forged" because he made the point so emphatically in his earlier books and also because I have read Wheless' Forgery in Christianity and how many ways are there to say the same thing, after all.

One of Ehrman's great observations though was how "jesus" started off as the strong-silent-type ( a la Gary Cooper) in "Mark" and ends up as fucking Chatty Cathy by "John."

Remarkable evolution. Why you wouldn't think they were talking about the same guy!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Interesting correlation between God and light in major world religions... Ajay0 17 1857 May 24, 2019 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  An Interesting Article on Religious Tolerance AFTT47 3 779 June 25, 2018 at 4:00 am
Last Post: Aroura
  Had an interesting encounter with a so called Christian on social media today GODZILLA 16 2470 May 24, 2018 at 12:19 am
Last Post: Astreja
  Christian in need of help (feeling uneasy about God quote)!! MellisaClarke 99 30917 May 29, 2017 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  An interesting Muslim-Atheist discussion on Religion and Rationality SuperSentient 10 2901 March 5, 2017 at 11:12 pm
Last Post: SuperSentient
  Add your favorite JESUS QUOTE in this thread for comedy relief!! 21stCenturyIconoclast 33 4412 January 22, 2017 at 2:38 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Quote from GotQuestions.org ignoramus 37 9387 July 7, 2016 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Your Kit quote for the day Foxaèr 13 4030 April 26, 2015 at 9:45 am
Last Post: John V
  "With or without religion.." Quote. Is Weinberg wrong? sagersager1 80 14580 January 7, 2015 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: sagersager1
  Found This Quote Minimalist 4 2741 October 5, 2014 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: vorlon13