Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comfort
Comfort
Edit:
Are atheists are too egotistical(like theists like to say) to let go of their personal comfort for the idealistic/perfect ideas of theism where everybody strive to get in heaven by doing "good deeds"? Is science is used just to guard personal earthly comfort by saying "It a scam there is no heaven".
RE: Comfort
[Image: what-are-you-talking-about.jpg]
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Well science brings comfort not the other way arround. It is a secondary effect not the goal. You need comfort for personal development.
You missunderstant the term comfort , comfort is needed soo that you could engage in " carrying a cross".
(November 5, 2017 at 7:52 am)purplepurpose Wrote: Are atheists simply wish to hold on to the earthly comfortable life and not trade it for "carrying a cross" idea? Is science is used by atheists to defend their comfort? Feels like in terms of life goals theism has an upper hand against atheism.

In my dad's case surely not, he is very into religion, yet he's stressed most of the time.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
Quote:Are atheists are too egotistical(like theists like to say) to let go of their personal comfort for the idealistic/perfect ideas of theism where everybody strive to get in heaven by doing "good deeds"?

I don't presume to speak for other atheists, but that describes me to a T.

Quote:Is science is used just to guard personal earthly comfort by saying "It a scam there is no heaven".

Science has a lot of uses, but if by 'comfort' you mean things like improving the human condition, that is certainly one of the uses to which we put science.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 5, 2017 at 7:52 am)purplepurpose Wrote: Edit:
Are atheists are too egotistical(like theists like to say) to let go of their personal comfort for the idealistic/perfect ideas of theism where everybody strive to get in heaven by doing "good deeds"? Is science is used just to guard personal earthly comfort by saying "It a scam there is no heaven".

It is not fair to change the original post, you should have respondend to our posts

1. How is doing good deeds to get in heaven not egotistical?
2. If it weren't for science you wouldn't have the personal earthly comfort to wright on this forum or to watch tv or to relax or to improve yourself etc.
(November 5, 2017 at 8:14 am)notimportant1234 Wrote:
(November 5, 2017 at 7:52 am)purplepurpose Wrote: Edit:

It is not fair to change the original post, you should have respondend to our posts

2. If it weren't for science you wouldn't have the personal earthly comfort to wright on this forum or to watch tv or to relax or to improve yourself etc.

I think so many people are in religion because heaven is higher idea than plain survival no matter how you look it, even if its not perfect. That's might be the reason so many atheists cannot let go of religion by laughing and mocking it or attack it and not able to forget it. And again, I'm guessing that science is used to forget about better ideas of religion.
(November 5, 2017 at 8:25 am)purplepurpose Wrote:
(November 5, 2017 at 8:14 am)notimportant1234 Wrote: It is not fair to change the original post, you should have respondend to our posts

I think so many people are in religion because heaven is better than plain survival no matter how you look it, even if its not perfect. That's might be the reason so many atheists cannot let go of religion and laugh and mock it/attack it and not able to forget it. And again, I'm guessing that science is used to forget about better ideas of religion.

That is a barrier of knowledge in a way , because they can't see how life could have meaning without after life that is why it seems better .
I think it is a missplacement of hatred , actually hating the people that indoctrinate through religion.
Not really ,science just gives life comfort when it comes to day to day life. It depends on you to chose what to do with that comfort. I don't see how it could be used to wipe moral ideas of religion.
(November 5, 2017 at 8:32 am)notimportant1234 Wrote:
(November 5, 2017 at 8:25 am)purplepurpose Wrote:  I think so many people are in religion because heaven is better than plain survival no matter how you look it, even if its not perfect. That's might be the reason so many atheists cannot let go of religion and laugh and mock it/attack it and not able to forget it. And again, I'm guessing that science is used to forget about better ideas of religion.

That is a barrier of knowledge in a way , because they can't see how life could have meaning without after life that is why it seems better .
I think it is a missplacement of hatred , actually hating the people that indoctrinate through religion.
Not really ,science just gives life comfort when it comes to day to day life. It depends on you to chose what to do with that comfort. I don't see how it could be used to wipe moral ideas of religion.

If you cannot argue that promise of heaven brings good among peaceful believers, then argue by saying that the whole thing is an old fairy tale and there is no way there is a heavenly reward waiting in afterlife because of the evidence based approach science does.
It can be used for disproving things like heaven and hell but nothing more . I think that the purpouse of atheists isn't to disprove religion but to eliminate indoctrination. For that pourpouse they use all the tolls they have , it doesn't make science evil because of that in the same way that religion is not evil because of people using it to manipulate people.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Comfort in Faith at Death Shell B 142 10966 August 4, 2019 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Ray Comfort loses a $100 bet concerning contradictions in the bible Gooders1002 15 4533 March 28, 2014 at 12:25 am
Last Post: Mothonis
  Ray comfort uses a man's suicide to push evolutionVSgod Lemonvariable72 46 15017 October 15, 2013 at 10:07 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Ray Comfort's Evolution vs. God on youtube viper5 27 14982 July 14, 2013 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: YahwehIsTheWay
  Atheist Central - Ray Comfort's Blog Jason Jarred 34 16440 December 9, 2008 at 2:59 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Ray Comfort - Prank Call? Jason Jarred 0 2400 October 15, 2008 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Jason Jarred