Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are your favorite examples of evolution in progress?
What are your favorite examples of evolution in progress?
Sometimes you can see evolution in progress, and I find that really cool! My favorite example is the halibut:

[Image: fishing-review-halibut-queen-dvd-0001.jp...C565&ssl=1]

It's evolving from having eyes on either side of its head and swimming like a normal fish to having its eyes on the top of its head and swimming flatly along the ocean floor. Clearly swimming flatly and hiding in the sand is beneficial for halibut. However, it's not there yet, so it's a super ugly fish for the time being. Big Grin 

Does anyone else know of any other interesting partially-evolved features of species like this?
RE: What are your favorite examples of evolution in progress?
Being the way I am, micro-evolution. Tell me that resistant TB isn't fun.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I like the way that the tip of my index finger has evolved to fit perfectly into my nostril, my ear, and my bum hole.  Nature works in mysterious ways, her wonders to perform. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 10, 2017 at 4:28 pm)shadow Wrote: Sometimes you can see evolution in progress, and I find that really cool! My favorite example is the halibut:

It's evolving from having eyes on either side of its head and swimming like a normal fish to having its eyes on the top of its head and swimming flatly along the ocean floor. Clearly swimming flatly and hiding in the sand is beneficial for halibut. However, it's not there yet, so it's a super ugly fish for the time being. Big Grin 

Does anyone else know of any other interesting partially-evolved features of species like this?

Partially evolved? O.o;

There is no such thing.
(November 10, 2017 at 5:06 pm)LastPoet Wrote:
(November 10, 2017 at 4:28 pm)shadow Wrote: Sometimes you can see evolution in progress, and I find that really cool! My favorite example is the halibut:

Partially evolved? O.o;

There is no such thing.

I know what you mean (because everything is always evolving) but I'm talking about a specific feature of a species that is not yet optimized for the purpose it serves in a specific niche, and is undergoing a distinct change. Like the halibut's eyes. I don't think it's wonky face is the best adaptation for visibility while swimming along the ocean floor yet.
My favorite example is when a newly medicine resistant germ KILLS a fucking believer.

As atheists, we either convince the churchy folks they are WRONG or Darwin is going to KILL them.

I think I'm making a case for a more militant form of atheism . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

The speed that bugs can overcome the effectiveness of antibiotics.
(November 10, 2017 at 6:22 pm)Cod Wrote: The speed that bugs can overcome the effectiveness of antibiotics.

This brilliant video. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plVk4NVIUh8
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
(November 10, 2017 at 6:31 pm)Mermaid Wrote:
(November 10, 2017 at 6:22 pm)Cod Wrote: The speed that bugs can overcome the effectiveness of antibiotics.

This brilliant video. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plVk4NVIUh8

That is so freaking cool. Thanks for posting it!
There's a pint of sour cream in my fridge that I think is close to achieving sentience.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favorite and least favorite colors vorlon13 15 1127 March 6, 2018 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  Kenya making “huge progress” in fight against HIV/AIDS pocaracas 14 4092 September 19, 2013 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: Zazzy
  Intelligent design type evolution vs naturalism type evolution. Mystic 59 30308 April 6, 2013 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Your inner fish, free powerpoint presentations on human evolution. leo-rcc 0 1956 December 23, 2009 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: leo-rcc