Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Freaky Species
Favorite Freaky Species
Have any favorite weird species?

Here's a few of my faves:

Bathynomus Giganteus

[Image: rr6eV.jpg]

Brookesia Micra

[Image: UhDgy.jpg]

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/...r-science/

Water Bear

[Image: SgTSa.jpg]

Tree Lobster

[Image: H85Cr.jpg]

http://grist.org/list/giant-awesome-tree...in-hiding/

Have you any favorite, freaky species? Please do share.

RE: Favorite Freaky Species
I'm very fond of some of our unique animals,such as the kangaroo,koala and platypus.

Below is photo (taken " some years ago") which could not be taken anywhere else in the world: Me with a 'wiild' wallaby, on Rotnest Island, Western Australia.

[Image: rottnest-2.jpg]
Rimicaris exoculata

http://deepseacenter.rutgers.edu/photos.asp?p=22

It has no normal eyes, but it can see with its shell because it's shell has a retina
Cordyceps fungi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKjBIBBAL8
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
I for one welcome our new brain-eating fungal overlords.
@padraic- I love what wiki says about the platypus:

Quote:The unusual appearance of this egg-laying, venomous, duck-billed, beaver-tailed, otter-footed mammal baffled European naturalists when they first encountered it,

Ya think?!? LOL

(June 9, 2012 at 1:51 am)Chuck Wrote: Rimicaris exoculata

http://deepseacenter.rutgers.edu/photos.asp?p=22

It has no normal eyes, but it can see with its shell because it's shell has a retina

It's a living eyeball! That's the shit.

(June 9, 2012 at 2:03 am)popeyespappy Wrote: Cordyceps fungi

That's wild! Definitely going on my faves list.

The platypus - irrefutable evidence for an intelligent designer.

By "intelligent", I mean "completely whacked on cocaine and 'ludes".

Fuck. Ludes? I just dated myself. LOL
(June 9, 2012 at 2:12 am)aleialoura Wrote: That's wild! Definitely going on my faves list.

Sir David failed to get into one of the interesting aspects of the fungi. They create mind controlled zombies.
Quote:The fungus's spores enter the body of the insect likely through the cuticle by enzymatic activity, where they begin to consume the non-vital soft tissues. Yeast stages of the fungus spread in the ant's body and presumably produce compounds that affect the ant's brain and change its behaviour by unknown mechanisms, causing the insect to climb up the stem of a plant and use its mandibles to secure itself to the plant. Infected ants bite the leaf veins with abnormal force, leaving telltale dumbbell-shaped marks. A search through plant fossil databases revealed similar marks on a fossil leaf from the Messel pit which is 48 million years old.[5][6]
The fungus then kills the ant, and continues to grow as its mycelia invade more soft tissues and structurally fortify the ant's exoskeleton.[2] More mycelia then sprout out of the ant, and securely anchor it to the plant substrate while secreting antimicrobials to ward off competition.[2] When the fungus is ready to reproduce, its fruiting bodies grow from the ant's head and rupture, releasing the spores. This process takes 4 to 10 days.[2]
The changes in the behavior of the infected ants are very specific, giving rise to the term zombie ants, and tuned for the benefit of the fungus. The ants generally clamp to a leaf's vein about 25 cm above the ground, on the northern side of the plant, in an environment with 94-95% humidity and temperatures between 20 and 30 °C. According to David Hughes, "You can find whole graveyards with 20 or 30 ants in a square metre. Each time, they are on leaves that are a particular height off the ground and they have bitten into the main vein [of a leaf] before dying".[7] When the dead ants are repositioned in various other situations, further vegetative growth and sporulation either fails to occur or results in undersized and abnormal reproductive structures.[8]

BTW, Our species is currently investigating ways to use this fungus.

Quote:The Ophiocordyceps fungus contains various known and untapped bioactive metabolites, and is being investigated as a new source of natural drugs with immunomodulatory, antitumor, hypoglycemic and hypocholesterolemic functions.[10]

Zombie shroms anyone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiocordyc...ilateralis

(June 9, 2012 at 2:21 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: The platypus - irrefutable evidence for an intelligent designer.

By "intelligent", I mean "completely whacked on cocaine and 'ludes".

Fuck. Ludes? I just dated myself. LOL

[Image: 1E12EC17.jpg]
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
One of my favorites is a species of the Short Horned Lizard (Phrynosoma hernandesi) that can squirt blood from it's eyes.

Like this:

(June 9, 2012 at 12:44 am)aleialoura Wrote: Have any favorite weird species?

Here's a few of my faves:

Bathynomus Giganteus

[Image: rr6eV.jpg]

[Image: isopod.jpg]

Think about it.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's your stance on bringing back extinct species? Fake Messiah 80 2164 March 12, 2024 at 8:50 am
Last Post: brewer
  New human species discovered in the Phillipines downbeatplumb 5 632 April 13, 2019 at 6:17 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Bumblebee officially added to endangered species list Foxaèr 13 1312 July 3, 2018 at 3:06 pm
  Without rape, most animal species would go extinct Alexmahone 34 4388 May 25, 2018 at 11:25 am
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Favorite and least favorite colors vorlon13 15 1104 March 6, 2018 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  Strange troglodyte species found in Turkmenistan cave Foxaèr 4 847 September 26, 2017 at 7:18 am
  New Species Found in Oregon brewer 31 6265 February 11, 2016 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Do you think we could/will ever have two dominant[prime] species? Heat 11 3304 November 21, 2015 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Remains of new human species found ignoramus 32 6555 September 10, 2015 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: MTL
  Is there enough time for SPECIATION for million species drkfuture 11 6104 July 30, 2015 at 7:52 am
Last Post: Alex K