Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your opinion of "mental defect" in law.....
Your opinion of "mental defect" in law.....
I think the definition in pleas needs to change, no, not to let the violent go, but I do not buy the idea that premeditation means you cant be insane. I think you can be bat crap crazy and plan at the same time.

The reason I bring his up is because of the nut who managed to escape the mental hospital in Hawaii, they caught him in California 72 hours later, yesterday. Yes it was planned. 

I think it is very possible to be mentally ill and guilty and plan at the same time. 

Don't get me wrong, I am not talking about the Psycho movie series, where they let him go after pills and therapy, and yes, there were more than one. I think with the violently mentally ill, yes they need to be contained as much as the sane, but I don't buy the idea that you cant have a mental defect and plan at the same time.

Of course this is completely separate from things like schizophrenia. Just wondering if others get what I am saying.
RE: Your opinion of "mental defect" in law.....
It works (or fails to work) both ways.

Jeff Dahmer was deemed (infamously) sane, and Dan White (quite possibly the most successful political assassin in US history) was found to be less responsible due to feeling a bit punk from eating a Twinkie.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

My opinion, you are in no position to judge.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
The law hates loose ends, Brian.  It prefers certainty even where none exists.
The mental defect issue is usually regarding the perpetrator's mental capacity to understand the ethical implications and real-world consequences of their actions. If you murder someone because you believe they're an imposter who has replaced the true individual using their advanced reptoids technology; your attorney is probably going to be able to mount a credible insanity defense no matter how meticulously you planned the murder.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(November 16, 2017 at 11:21 am)Minimalist Wrote: The law hates loose ends, Brian.  It prefers certainty even where none exists.

BINGO, couldn't have said it better myself.

Tons of grey area here.
(November 16, 2017 at 8:24 am)Brian37 Wrote: I think the definition in pleas needs to change, no, not to let the violent go, but I do not buy the idea that premeditation means you cant be insane. I think you can be bat crap crazy and plan at the same time.

The reason I bring his up is because of the nut who managed to escape the mental hospital in Hawaii, they caught him in California 72 hours later, yesterday. Yes it was planned. 

I think it is very possible to be mentally ill and guilty and plan at the same time. 

Don't get me wrong, I am not talking about the Psycho movie series, where they let him go after pills and therapy, and yes, there were more than one. I think with the violently mentally ill, yes they need to be contained as much as the sane, but I don't buy the idea that you cant have a mental defect and plan at the same time.

Of course this is completely separate from things like schizophrenia. Just wondering if others get what I am saying.

So a loony tune escapes from a mental hospital in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, gets dressed, goes to the airport and passes through the Gestapo line, gets on a plane, and flies to California.  He isn't the crazy one, everyone else is.
(November 16, 2017 at 10:35 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:
(November 16, 2017 at 8:24 am)Brian37 Wrote: I think the definition in pleas needs to change, no, not to let the violent go, but I do not buy the idea that premeditation means you cant be insane. I think you can be bat crap crazy and plan at the same time.

So a loony tune escapes from a mental hospital in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, gets dressed, goes to the airport and passes through the Gestapo line, gets on a plane, and flies to California.  He isn't the crazy one, everyone else is.

Precisely.

Everyone should be locked up for the safety of society at large.

Because, and I may be a little biased here, people suck!

Smile
Dying to live, living to die.
(November 16, 2017 at 10:35 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:

Funny you should mention this.  I was just watching the late news and they mentioned that the TSA had nabbed 62 guns this week alone nationwide that people had in carry-on bags.  The bad part is that their own Inspector General tests show they fuck up 70% of the time.
(November 16, 2017 at 10:43 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(November 16, 2017 at 10:35 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: So a loony tune escapes from a mental hospital in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, gets dressed, goes to the airport and passes through the Gestapo line, gets on a plane, and flies to California.  He isn't the crazy one, everyone else is.

Precisely.

Everyone should be locked up for the safety of society at large.

Because, and I may be a little biased here, people suck!

Smile

Well consider what the loony tune did.  He planned his escape, got dressed in appropriate travel clothes, selected a flight to the mainland, paid for his ticket, went to the airport by cab or some other means, checked in, got a boarding pass, presented his ID to the Gestapo agents, went through security, and walked to the appropriate gate and got on the plane and flew without any trouble to California.  Heck, you would have had more problems doing that than he had.  It's a damn good thing he is just crazy and not a terrorist because he's one resourceful fellow.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MA publishes database of law enforcement disciplinary actions Nanny 0 418 August 22, 2023 at 3:23 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  Break any law if it’s for Jesus Fake Messiah 0 142 March 17, 2021 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Like Father Like Son-In-Law Minimalist 1 349 October 14, 2018 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: Joods
  California Requires Women on Corp Boards by law. brewer 49 3923 October 11, 2018 at 4:54 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Is Harassment of Public Figures Acceptable: Your Sincere Opinion Neo-Scholastic 294 35893 September 28, 2018 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  New Iowa Law Restricts Abortion To Before Most Women Know They're Pregnant The Industrial Atheist 164 24118 May 20, 2018 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The Law of Unintended Consequences Will Kick You In The Balls Every Time Minimalist 28 3152 March 12, 2017 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Trump vows to destroy the law limiting churches' political activity Aegon 39 4255 February 5, 2017 at 7:51 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Driving and White Cane Law BrokenQuill92 20 4172 October 16, 2016 at 4:01 am
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Australian state (ACT) passes blasphemy law to protect Muslims mralstoner 22 4224 August 15, 2016 at 12:29 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus