Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 2:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Harassment of Public Figures Acceptable: Your Sincere Opinion
Is Harassment of Public Figures Acceptable: Your Sincere Opinion
More and more some political activists feel it is acceptable, even necessary, to harass public figures while those public figures are peaceably going about their daily lives. Most recently, Candace Owens:

HERE

This appears to be at least tangentally related to Maxine Waters's agitating her supporters:

HERE

There seems to be some dispute about whether or not Sarah Huckabee Sanders was actually harassed out of the Red Hen resturant, but it is clearly a fact that at least one prominent member of the press, Jennifer Rubin, has recommended that public figures be hounded for life:

HERE

Personally, I do not know of any prominent conservatives agitating protesters or liberal public figures that have been intimidated publically, or notable conservative pundits defending such behavior. Maybe some of the more left-leaning AF members could provide some examples to further the conversation.

Similarly, it seems speaking engagements by conservatives such as Ben Shapiro are routinely accompanied by large crowds of protesters, attempting to shut down the venues, and many turn violent. Again I am not aware of similar occurrences when the speakers are left-leaning. Again examples that further the conversation are welcome.

And I would be remiss if I did not mention the violent events inspired by left-wing rhetoric like the attempted assassination attempt on Republican congressmen while playing softball HERE, the and the attack on the Alliance Defending Freedom HERE

Just to be clear, I don't want to assume that all political violence comes from the left, it is just that prominent left-wing pundits, journalists and politicians claim that Trump's rhetoric inspires violence. I simply have not seen evidence that that is the case whereas the examples I provided above seems to suggest just the opposite.

Comments?
<insert profound quote here>
RE: Is Harassment of Public Figures Acceptable: Your Sincere Opinion
In a word, "Yes."  As long as it is non-violent these cocksuckers who are running the country into the mud should be confronted over it.
Let's rewrite this 

Is Holding Public Figures Responsible For Willfully  Supporting Awful Things In their Capacity As Public Figures Acceptable: Your Sincere Opinion

The answer in that context is yes
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(August 7, 2018 at 12:28 pm)Minimalist Wrote: In a word, "Yes."  As long as it is non-violent these cocksuckers who are running the country into the mud should be confronted over it.

I wouldn't use that word, because the false martyrs will use that to falsely play victim. I do agree that public figures, ESPECIALLY politicians should be confronted.
No.

And once indicted after an oft delayed forensic audit, Maxine Waters is going to be screaming SHE'S the one being harassed.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

How else do you complain?

Taking a knee is verboten.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Harassment? Absolutely not. Not of anyone. Same with sexist or racist comments. Not OK.

Insulting? Rude? Showing of contempt? Derision? Disrespect? Yes. Absolutely. All of them. If you want to say Obama was a war mongering, retarded ass clown, that is absolutely within bounds. Want to get on twitter and call Tom Cruise a loon? Fine. Go to an actors site and tell them you didn't like their latest movie? That's ok too. Going to someone's twitter and telling them to kill themselves because they ruined your favorite movie franchise? That's harassment. You crossed the line

That being said, if a person is themselves using bullying behavior, people have a right to stand up to it. Standing up to a bully is not harassment of a bully. Although after seeing how often admins in schools back up the bullies and blame the victims, I see that's a pretty chronic issue in our society. Defending the bully, I mean.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
(August 7, 2018 at 1:56 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: How else do you complain?

Taking a knee is verboten.

PAPERS, LET ME SEE YOUR PAPERS!

NINE, NINE, TEN, ELEVEN AND 12!

My civil side urges me to say that there are many weapons that belong in an activist's arsenal, but harassment of individuals isn't one of them. These people didn't put Trump in charge. Your real problem is with the basket of deplorables. In one sense, the folks listed in the OP are merely doing their jobs. Their personal lives have been affected by professional choices. Part of me says that this isn't right. There ought to be "turf"upon which it is appropriate for activists to fight these battles, and otherwise, these people ought to be left alone.

But in another sense, the choice to be a figure in the public sphere is one that has private consequences. They had to be aware of what they were getting themselves into. Through their work, they affect the private lives of millions; it's a two way street.

If they were to drop out of the public sphere, and dedicate themselves to different pursuits, they would get their privacy back soon enough. So in the end, it's up to them.
(August 7, 2018 at 12:26 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: More and more some political activists feel it is acceptable, even necessary, to harass public figures while those public figures are peaceably going about their daily lives. Most recently, Candace Owens:

HERE

This appears to be at least tangentally related to Maxine Waters's agitating her supporters:

HERE

There seems to be some dispute about whether or not Sarah Huckabee Sanders was actually harassed out of the Red Hen resturant, but it is clearly a fact that at least one prominent member of the press, Jennifer Rubin, has recommended that public figures be hounded for life:

HERE

Personally, I do not know of any prominent conservatives agitating protesters or liberal public figures that have been intimidated publically, or notable conservative pundits defending such behavior. Maybe some of the more left-leaning AF members could provide some examples to further the conversation.

Similarly, it seems speaking engagements by conservatives such as Ben Shapiro are routinely accompanied by large crowds of protesters, attempting to shut down the venues, and many turn violent. Again I am not aware of similar occurrences when the speakers are left-leaning. Again examples that further the conversation are welcome.

And I would be remiss if I did not mention the violent events inspired by left-wing rhetoric like the attempted assassination attempt on Republican congressmen while playing softball HERE, the and the attack on the Alliance Defending Freedom HERE

Just to be clear, I don't want to assume that all political violence comes from the left, it is just that prominent left-wing pundits, journalists and politicians claim that Trump's rhetoric inspires violence. I simply have not seen evidence that that is the case whereas the examples I provided above seems to suggest just the opposite.

Comments?

Is it acceptable to publically harass public figures who so offend decency and so betray the public trust as to actually earn the support of one chad wooters?

The answer is yes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Face coverings in public banned Foxaèr 10 724 March 10, 2021 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Secular Spirituality in Public Schools chimp3 12 889 January 23, 2020 at 4:37 am
Last Post: Sal
  The unvaccinated banned from public. brewer 4 448 March 26, 2019 at 9:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Saudi Arabia: Reports of torture and sexual harassment of detained activists WinterHold 0 206 January 27, 2019 at 4:56 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  This Figures.... Minimalist 2 400 September 10, 2018 at 11:29 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  And this figures, too Minimalist 0 304 September 10, 2018 at 6:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Sexual Harassment Plagues Canadian Parliament And Senate Amarok 1 628 February 2, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Iowa bill for bible class in public school brewer 20 3161 January 27, 2018 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Your opinion of "mental defect" in law..... Brian37 9 1619 November 17, 2017 at 1:44 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Another Kentucky Public Official Who Doesn't Know the Law Crossless2.0 11 2324 July 15, 2016 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Little lunch