Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 7:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you reconcile your god, the mass murderer?
How do you reconcile your god, the mass murderer?
If we are to take the bible literally (as the original authors intended it) we read that the xtian god is responsible for mass murder (eg flooding the world killing millions of living beings), infanticide (eg the Egyptian exodus), the destruction of entire villages (Sodom and Gomorrah), etc, etc. I can't go on for two reasons. It is a horrific litany of murders and it is a very long list. Suffice it to say it is a list of murders estimated in the vicinity of 25 million people let alone all the other living beings. For those interested, you can see the complete horrific list here:

Drunk With Blood

So, my question to the xtians is, how do you reconcile an "ethical" god with the god in the bible that has committed all these atrocities?
RE: How do you reconcile your god, the mass murderer?
Easy, they're no more religious than I am when it comes down to the hard questions. They just ignore them. Cafeteria Christians pick what they want from the Bible buffet and leave the rest. So tell them that their god executed every kitten on the planet during the Great Flood because humans, designed by God, were acting in a fashion He didn't like. They'll just shrug and call you a commie.
god was born in Texas.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
There's currently an active thread about this already. I'm not sure why no one else sees that you're a troll.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(November 23, 2017 at 8:26 am)mh.brewer Wrote: god was born in Texas.

Baptists preacher - "God can torture you for ages. Or forever. He is above everyone and can do anything. Don't need such God? Leave". Flooding people is nothing in comparison.
(November 23, 2017 at 8:47 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: There's currently an active thread about this already. I'm not sure why no one else sees that you're a troll.

And here I was thinking that the dearth of xtian responses on this thread was due to the fact that there is no possible justification. I had a look and couldn't find the thread you are referring to. Could you possibly provide a link?

PS Yet another attack CL? Really? I should tally them and produce a leader-board of insults against me (I'm sure you would be right up on the top) but there are so many it would be too time consuming now. Should have done it from the start but I didn't realise this would be an issue from "ethical" xtians.
By saying they deserved it. Or that it's allegory. Or that he has the right to do what he wants with his creation, for some reason. Even though he only personally created one or two Humans. There are several different reasons. It's been compared to adult children of alcoholics, defending their parents, because sometimes daddy is nice to them, and that makes it ok when sometimes he's not.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(November 23, 2017 at 5:41 pm)Chad32 Wrote: By saying they deserved it. Or that it's allegory. Or that he has the right to do what he wants with his creation, for some reason. Even though he only personally created one or two Humans. There are several different reasons. It's been compared to adult children of alcoholics, defending their parents, because sometimes daddy is nice to them, and that makes it ok when sometimes he's not.

Yes, I've heard all those arguments before and easily refuted them. The conversation has to begin by defining ethics. Although one xtian that I spoke to readily admitted the unethical nature of god's actions in the bible without any prompting. Honesty is the best policy and can tent to lead out of the darkness of religion into the freedom of humanism.
(November 23, 2017 at 4:31 am)Bow Before Zeus Wrote: If we are to take the bible literally (as the original authors intended it) we read that the xtian god is responsible for mass murder (eg flooding the world killing millions of living beings), infanticide (eg the Egyptian exodus), the destruction of entire villages (Sodom and Gomorrah), etc, etc. I can't go on for two reasons. It is a horrific litany of murders and it is a very long list. Suffice it to say it is a list of murders estimated in the vicinity of 25 million people let alone all the other living beings. For those interested, you can see the complete horrific list here:

Drunk With Blood

So, my question to the xtians is, how do you reconcile an "ethical" god with the god in the bible that has committed all these atrocities?

He giveth so He shall taketh Undecided
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(November 23, 2017 at 4:31 am)Bow Before Zeus Wrote: If we are to take the bible literally (as the original authors intended it) we read that the xtian god is responsible for mass murder (eg flooding the world killing millions of living beings), infanticide (eg the Egyptian exodus), the destruction of entire villages (Sodom and Gomorrah), etc, etc. I can't go on for two reasons. It is a horrific litany of murders and it is a very long list. Suffice it to say it is a list of murders estimated in the vicinity of 25 million people let alone all the other living beings. For those interested, you can see the complete horrific list here:

Drunk With Blood

Two ways off the top of my head, take your choice:

1. Judgment isn't murder.

2. Looking at ourselves, it's special pleading to call such actions atrocities. Consider that on a bellyful of leftover turkey...

(November 23, 2017 at 5:32 pm)Bow Before Zeus Wrote: And here I was thinking that the dearth of xtian responses on this thread was due to the fact that there is no possible justification.

No, it's because we've heard this a zillion times before. I'm only responding because you're particularly douchy.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I thought your god was keeping you safe rado84 331 28487 April 25, 2019 at 1:07 am
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8440 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Papal mass in Phoenix Park likely to be a damp squib GUBU 10 1654 August 24, 2018 at 5:57 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Love the Lord your God with all your heart ? Angrboda 144 22670 June 20, 2016 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  So what do you Christians like about your god belief/religion? Whateverist 44 9878 November 14, 2015 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  For God Is So Worried Where You Put Your Dick.... Minimalist 16 2858 February 27, 2015 at 6:52 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Mass grave discovered in an abandoned Catholic children's home. Esquilax 46 8685 June 11, 2014 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: Vox
  Christians Please Reconcile this Statement themonkeyman 18 4155 April 26, 2014 at 10:39 am
Last Post: Drich
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12301 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  Your God is your ultimate barrier to finding the Godhead. Greatest I am 1 1446 May 2, 2012 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused