Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Al Franken Resigns
Al Franken Resigns
Al Franken resigns 

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/06/politics/a...index.html

I saw this coming . And i can't say i disprove.
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

RE: Al Franken Resigns
If anything, it was a strategic political move on the dems part considering what is going to happen next week with Moore.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
This is a good thing. If Moore is elected, I think we see him booted by the ethics committee. A nice precedent to have for congress.
I don't think so.  Trump supports Moore because Steven Bannon told him to.  The Republicans in the Congress will lick Trump's excrements from the floor even though Steven Bannon is after many of their hides.  If Moore gets elected, he will remain seated as long as the GOP controls the Senate and become another permanent degradation of an American government institution.

Trump is the kind of disease that shows the American political system no longer an immune system.  The destruction of the immune system has been a long sought goal of the puppet string pullers of the Republican Party.  To expect the immune system will suddenly rally while the same Republican Party animated by the same callous indifference to anyone other than their donors and agitators remain in power is sheer fantasy

America is like a late stage untreated AIDS patient. He is afflicted with sores and infections all over the place. His recouperative powers is small and not up to the task of closing any of his sores. He will not rally to fight off another infection. There is no prospect of treatment in the near future.
(December 7, 2017 at 2:26 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: I don't think so.  Trump supports Moore because Steven Bannon told him to.  The Republicans in the Congress will lick Trump's excrements from the floor even though Steven Bannon is after many of their hides.  If Moore gets elected, he will remain seated as long as the GOP controls the Senate and become another permanent degradation of an American government institution.

McConnell has already stated the investigation will be initiated immediately if Moore is elected.

I assume Alabama has a republican governor, so booting Moore won't cost the republican party any power, since the Gov will name a replacement like they're doing with Franken in Minnesota.   

The only worry, is I don't know what power an ethics committee has exactly.
(December 7, 2017 at 3:00 pm)wallym Wrote:
(December 7, 2017 at 2:26 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: I don't think so.  Trump supports Moore because Steven Bannon told him to.  The Republicans in the Congress will lick Trump's excrements from the floor even though Steven Bannon is after many of their hides.  If Moore gets elected, he will remain seated as long as the GOP controls the Senate and become another permanent degradation of an American government institution.

McConnell has already stated the investigation will be initiated immediately if Moore is elected.

I assume Alabama has a republican governor, so booting Moore won't cost the republican party any power, since the Gov will name a replacement like they're doing with Franken in Minnesota.   

The only worry, is I don't know what power an ethics committee has exactly.

McConnell has backpedaled so fast he is practically breaking the sound barrier.  Moore is Steve Bannon's man.  Steven Bannon pulls the Donald's strings.  The Donald had put his weight behind Moore and he has thin skin.  McConnell is spinless and will lick Trump's ass to shift himself slightly off center of Bannon's sights.

Need I say more?
(December 7, 2017 at 3:20 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: McConnell has backpedaled so fast he is practically breaking the sound barrier.  Moore is Steve Bannon's man.  Steven Bannon pulls the Donald's strings.  The Donald had put his weight behind Moore and he has thin skin.  McConnell is spinless and will lick Trump's ass to shift himself slightly off center of Bannon's sights.

Need I say more?

Sounds like a pretty objective unbiased opinion on the matter.

But this is why I think Franken's resignation is so key.  The critics who try to keep Moore in office have nobody to point to. 

Trump/Bannon aren't dumb strategically.  They know what I know.  Get the guy in, and then whatever happens happens.  Trump will step back and say "That's for the ethics committee to decide!"  Trump endorsed Strange in the primary.  So when Moore gets the boot, Trump can say "Told you you should've gone with Luther Strange!"  And he was right, for once.
Trump is stupid strategically.   He only claim much more credit then is there for himself when occasionally someone else manage to steer him away from a larger disaster to a slightly smaller one.

Bannon is not necessarily dumb, but he is a one trick pony who succeeds with brutal scorched earth trolling rather than finess.  So long as someone keeps handing him more torches, he would be a force to be reckoned with.  But once that stops, he would quickly immolate himself in his eagerness to keep up his momentum.
I think Franken resigning sets an important precedent in general but also gives the Dems some political leverage - which they probably won't properly use to their advantage because... they always mess these things up?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

The somewhat sad thing for me is that I think some of these guys have been adapting to the new social climate. Watch sit-coms or dramas from the 70s and 80s and we'll see how pervasive this kind of thinking and behavior was-- quite frankly, it was just the normal way people thought.

I'm pretty sure a Clinton of today would keep his cigar in his pants, or a Franken would stop to think "Hmmmm. . . maybe this girl won't think me grabbing her is just a joke."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seattle Chief of Police resigns Due Budget Cuts onlinebiker 68 3328 August 13, 2020 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Tongue Katie Hill Resigns onlinebiker 84 2952 November 21, 2019 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Al Franken is latest to be accused of sexual assault John V 129 19703 December 6, 2017 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Mugabe Resigns Minimalist 5 453 November 21, 2017 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Milo Yiannopoulos resigns from Breitbart News c172 235 33592 March 3, 2017 at 4:23 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Michael Flynn, national security adviser, resigns over Russia contacts c172 48 8383 February 18, 2017 at 11:40 am
Last Post: John V
  FIFA: Sepp Blatter resigns c172 17 1773 October 2, 2015 at 6:31 pm
Last Post: c172
  Officer "Go Fuck Yourself" Resigns JesusHChrist 2 1129 August 29, 2014 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: naimless