Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hug a Theist
Hug a Theist
They've committed their fair share of historical atrocities, they've stood in the way of intellectual progress, and they've hindered minorities trying to attain civil rights and equality. Theists can be real assholes. We all know it. Many threads have (rightfully) been devoted to pointing this out.

But I thought I might create a different kind of thread. Wikipedia defines humanism as "a philosophical and ethical stance that emphasizes the value and agency of human beings, individually and collectively." I'm sure there are a great many humanists here. Since we "emphasise the value ... of human beings, individually" as well as collectively, wouldn't it be a good exercise of the heart for us to express gratitude toward those human beings who differ from us in our beliefs?

Name a theist who has made a contribution to society that you appreciate. If the figure is obscure, please name his or her contribution. Also, if you wish, tell us why you hold this particular person in high regard. Now, of course, many historical figures lived in times where identifying themselves as atheists might have resulted in decapitation. Thus they might have only professed theism in order to avoid the consequences of doing otherwise. Try to pick someone who showed a genuine impulse toward belief. (Isaac Newton would be a good example.) I was recently inspired to create this thread by an atheist who said he admired Augustine.

(Theists, you guys don't get off so easy... you have to name a nonbeliever.)

Of course, I'll start.

Leo Tolstoy (Russian Literary Master, wrote War and Peace): Devout Christian who renounced his wealth and title of nobility for Jesus Christ. His commitment to Christian morality motivated him to explore the power of nonviolence. He ended up influencing Gandhi who put his ideas into practice.

PS: They don't have to be historical. Contemporary theists welcome!
RE: Hug a Theist
I have a short list of people who I’m willing to hug, they’re almost all theists. I’ve done my part Tongue
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
I like Jimmy Carter's philanthropy. Plus Rosalynn was probably freaky deeky in her day.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(December 18, 2017 at 8:32 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: Name a theist who has made a contribution to society that you appreciate.

Issac Newton.

I appreciate his scientific contributions despite the fact that he was a complete asshole and I'd never hug him.

Johann Sebastian Bach. That name should speak for itself.

I hugged my mom recently. Not sure she qualifies as a theist or not. She doesn't believe in a literal god but she believes there is some kind of meaning or higher power to the universe and she believes there's an afterlife . . . and the way I see it that's still some kind of god it's just not the anthropomorphic kind. She believes there is meaning to the universe and it exists for a reason. So as far as I am concerned that's like believing it was created. For all intents and purposes I'd say I hug a theist every time I hug my mom. Just because she doesn't believe in a literal man in a sky doesn't make her an atheist in my opinion. I mean, it's a bit of a grey area but I'd sooner call her a theist than an atheist. She also hates the label atheist but probably wouldn't mind being called a theist. I mean, she doesn't like being called religious but she likes to call herself 'spiritual'. But as far as I'm concerned 'spiritual' is just the diet coke version of 'religious'.
I've always admired the television journalist, Bill Moyers.  He was ordained in 1954 as a southern baptist minister.  But he has worked almost his whole life in television.  From interviews it is obvious that he believes deeply in something but he has never come off as preachy or pushy to evangelize.  His interviews with Joseph Campbell is where I first heard of him.  I was impressed with the way he could grapple with these ideas in a wide open way, not being over eager to shoehorn them into biblical narrative.  He was able to let his xtian faith inform his understanding without the entitlement most xtians exude that only they have the real truth.  I don't believe he thinks about it that way.  I suspect he might be a closet whateverist.

I enjoyed his series "Faith & Reason" even more.  Here he is in conversation with atheist Colin McGinn.

But that video is boring. What this Colin McGinn has to say about arguing for God from consciousness is much more interesting. But since McGinn is not a theist I have now officially jumped this thread's rail.

Can't think of any.
Damn, Min. I thought you would have a long, long list.   Tongue
One of my favourite theists ever -- Friedrich Spee von Langenfeld, a Jesuit priest who wrote Cautio Criminalis, a work of critical thinking that made huge inroads in ending witch trials and the use of torture to obtain confessions. (((big hug)))
My mom.
(December 18, 2017 at 11:51 am)Whateverist Wrote: But that video is boring.  What this Colin McGinn has to say about arguing for God from consciousness is much more interesting.  But since McGinn is not a theist I have now officially jumped this thread's rail.

Quite interesting. Thanks for sharing.

By the way, I've seen one of the Joseph Campbell interviews and it was amazing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion Astreja 5 433 July 22, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 1941 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I received a letter from a theist, need a good reply Radamand 22 1921 March 22, 2022 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Why do theist often drop the letter s when referring to atheists? I_am_not_mafia 56 11810 August 23, 2018 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
Tongue Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic Cecelia 983 146092 June 6, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Raven Orlock
  Why was Newton a theist? Alexmahone 65 12563 March 24, 2018 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why America is anti-theist. Goosebump 3 1096 March 1, 2018 at 9:06 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
Sad I am a theist, what do you think of my proof for God existing? Mariosep 1101 112736 December 12, 2016 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  Theist ➤ Why ☠ Evolution is not Scientific ✔ The Joker 348 44513 November 26, 2016 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  If the bible/quran/whatever was better, would you've remained theist? A Handmaid 23 3547 September 14, 2016 at 7:08 am
Last Post: paulpablo