Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amtrak train derails in Washington state
Amtrak train derails in Washington state
http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/18/us/amtrak-...index.html

Quote:What we know now

• What happened: An Amtrak passenger train derailed and is now dangling onto Interstate 5 in Pierce County, Washington.

• The victims: Amtrak released a statement saying "some injuries" have been reported in the crash. The Pierce County Sheriff’s Office said to expect casualties.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
RE: Amtrak train derails in Washington state
Jesus, no numbers on TV (FNC) but hard to imagine from the pictures there won't be fatalities. Damn, this is looking bad.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Quote:Amtrak: "Some injuries reported"
Amtrak just released a statement, saying it was aware of the crash and "some injuries are reported." It also added that it has shut down all service south of Seattle.
Here's the statement:
"Amtrak is aware of an incident with Train 501, Cascades service from Seattle to Portland. Emergency services are on the scene and Amtrak management is responding. Some injuries are reported. Amtrak service south of Seattle is temporarily suspended. Service from Seattle to points north and east is continuing to operate. Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant."

Now they are saying on CNN there are some casualties being reported.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
I was listening to KEXP in a nap and I [think they broke in briefly with this. 

But here's a local special report livestream: http://www.kiro7.com/live-stream

And yes. per KIRO, there are three confirmed fatalities, all on the train.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
6 ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Yeah, now I'm hearing 6.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
According to local news there are many dozens of casualties, around 90, more than people on the train. Presumably the excess are people who were travelling south on I-5. At least six dead.

KG is stuck in the traffic shit show aftermath north of there.
Latest report says there are several derailed cars that are unsafe for rescuers to access and everyone in those cars are believed dead. If this is accurate the fatality can soon rise much higher.

This is apparently Amtrak’s very first run on this stretch of rail.  This stretch has previously been little used.  I suspect someone didn’t inspect the route first very thoroughly, or didn’t consider whether the curves in the rail were suitable for an express passenger train.
(December 18, 2017 at 6:51 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: Latest report says there are several derailed cars that are unsafe for rescuers to access and everyone in those cars are believed dead. If this is accurate the fatality can soon rise much higher.

This is apparently Amtrak’s very first run on this stretch of rail.  This stretch has previously been little used.  I suspect someone didn’t inspect the route first very thoroughly, or didn’t consider whether the curves in the rail were suitable for an express passenger train.

(b-mine)

The bolded is true, they've been talking about this reconfiguration of the rail line and it's opening today for some time now.

The rail in question is old rail that was supposedly upgraded for high-speed passenger service.

The death toll will almost certainly go higher. The fatalities so far are apparently in cars that are largely inaccessible to rescuers.
Why couldn't the WLB have been on that train?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  California about to be the first state to administer reparations!s Huggy Bear 77 3753 April 3, 2022 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Will leaving the state work in Texas brewer 19 901 July 13, 2021 at 6:16 am
Last Post: brewer
  Escalating violence as armed protests planned in all 50 state capitals TaraJo 64 3379 January 15, 2021 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Guns banned in Michigan State Capitol. onlinebiker 52 2958 January 13, 2021 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Whale sculpture catches crashed Dutch metro train zebo-the-fat 6 280 November 2, 2020 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Trump Train runs Biden Bus out of Texas! WinterHold 18 1282 November 2, 2020 at 9:58 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Church forcing State involvement? onlinebiker 34 1931 April 16, 2019 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Measels outbreak in Washington sparks vaccination debates... again EgoDeath 23 2348 February 21, 2019 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  State Of The Nonsense Brian37 49 4454 February 9, 2019 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  NFL Team Considering Former US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice for Head Coach Seraphina 10 1227 November 18, 2018 at 9:56 pm
Last Post: CarveTheFive