Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 1:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disappointing my family
Disappointing my family
My family is moderate christian. They are still very attached to Christianity. They will be disappointed when I'll come out as an atheist. Sometimes I wonder if they're sure I'm christian and/or fear that I'll become one.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: Disappointing my family
Why disappoint them...?
Can't you pretend until you're ready to leave home ...then tell them slowly...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(December 23, 2017 at 6:55 am)ignoramus Wrote: Why disappoint them...?
Can't you pretend until you're ready to leave home ...then tell them slowly...

That's exactly what I wanna do, I'm still sure they'll be disappointed.

Charlie Chaplin
Well , I have 2 friends that are atheists and their parents know about what they think . I don't think they are disapointed.
They'll live ...They won't disown you will they? They're not that Jesus crazy are they?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Not much of a family if they're going to be disappointed in you for your viewpoint. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 23, 2017 at 7:00 am)ignoramus Wrote: They'll live ...They won't disown you will they? They're not that Jesus crazy are they?

No, they're not. It's just that I'm sick of pretending that I like their fairytales. The pretending was kind of funny and exciting at first, but now it's getting repetitive. I will leave home soon, but untill then I'll have to endure. I made this post so that I can talk to someone about this, to stop getting bored. Don't get me wrong, advice is still welcome.

Charlie Chaplin
Put on "The Life of Brian" on the communal tv on Christmas day.
That'll give them a hint... But just a hint.
(December 23, 2017 at 5:57 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: My family is moderate christian. They are still very attached to Christianity. They will be disappointed when I'll come out as an atheist. Sometimes I wonder if they're sure I'm christian and/or fear that I'll become one.

Disappointing your parents is part of growing up. They'll get over it.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Any parent who has a normal teen, is already used to disappointments. It's no biggie... after all, children are often disappointed by the adults around them while growing up!
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Natural family planning LinuxGal 75 7385 January 1, 2023 at 10:30 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Christian family fined after arguing taxes 'against God's will' zebo-the-fat 19 2095 July 23, 2019 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why does my family want me to be christian so much? Der/die AtheistIn 17 2762 March 29, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Mother Marches Through Target With Her Family To Protest Transgender Bathroom Policy" TubbyTubby 6 1678 May 17, 2016 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: abaris
  How would you suggest going about dealing with an ignorant extended family member GoHalos1993 21 3730 January 1, 2016 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Whoopi speaks out against the duggar family dyresand 49 11783 June 10, 2015 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  New result on Jesus family ossuaries watchamadoodle 20 4799 April 16, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Dealing with Religious Family wolfclan96 22 4778 January 16, 2015 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: wolfclan96
  Respecting Christian family and friends watchamadoodle 70 11731 December 17, 2014 at 9:48 am
Last Post: watchamadoodle
  Selling off the Family Silver Fidel_Castronaut 8 3898 July 31, 2014 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Dystopia