Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dealing with Religious Family
Dealing with Religious Family
Hey,

I was curious to know how many people on this forum have ever had to clash and/or deal with family members as a result of deciding to not fallow in the comman faith of them.

Like in my case,

I was raised as a Baptist Christian and my family is really big on god. Now and days, however, I've begone questioning whether he was the loving god people made him out to be, and whether he even exists (thanks to having discussions and debates with a good friend of myn).

It seemed the more I learned it became harder and harder to logicly and morally defend what I believed. Even if he did exist, in my views, I would never worship him again because I do not believe he is worthy of my praise nore has the right to judge my actions after everything he did in the Bible. Damning people to hell souly on the basis of beliefs is not the work of a loving being...but an oppresor.

But anywho, I digressed...

Its hard having to keep what I truely believe secret for fear of constant BS and lectures. Was just wondering if anyone has ever had experiences similar to this?
RE: Dealing with Religious Family
Well, I have. Sort of. I "came out" as agnostic to my mom yesterday, but she was just very upset and felt hurt. But, hey, I have to do pretty much what she says, as I'm 13, and your parents give you a roof over your head, food, etc. My mom is genuinely a good mother; but I'm at a Catholic school, and there's quite a lot of BS there, so I sympathize with you.
Gone
More or less with me it was emotional abuse but i had to learn to get over it.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(January 13, 2015 at 6:57 pm)wolfclan96 Wrote: Hey,

I was curious to know how many people on this forum have ever had to clash and/or deal with family members as a result of deciding to not fallow in the comman faith of them.

Like in my case,

I was raised as a Baptist Christian and my family is really big on god. Now and days, however, I've begone questioning whether he was the loving god people made him out to be, and whether he even exists (thanks to having discussions and debates with a good friend of myn).

It seemed the more I learned it became harder and harder to logicly and morally defend what I believed. Even if he did exist, in my views, I would never worship him again because I do not believe he is worthy of my praise nore has the right to judge my actions after everything he did in the Bible. Damning people to hell souly on the basis of beliefs is not the work of a loving being...but an oppresor.

But anywho, I digressed...

Its hard having to keep what I truely believe secret for fear of constant BS and lectures. Was just wondering if anyone has ever had experiences similar to this?

What was it you believed, you never said you were a Christian, being raised in a baptist church doesn't make one a Christian, it only makes you one of millions who were raised in a Baptist church. Do you know exactly what the scriptures teach, it sounds like you do not, or you wouldn't have had to argue with a friend about God, that would been something you would do with yourself if you knew what the scriptures said.

Welcome to the forum,

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
I have been lucky enough that this wasn't a problem for me as just about everyone I've known is atheist (whether they classify themselves that way or not). But I've listened to hundreds of hours of the atheist experience, and spent a few months on this forum now, and it is a very common problem.

In my opinion, it comes down to parents associating themselves so much with their religion to the point where they can't distinguish it from themselves. So leaving the faith is to somehow insult them. The advice I always give is to try to make clear it's the personal beliefs that have changed, not the person, and that you are not rejecting them as a person either, just not agreeing with their beliefs. I find it shocking that so many parents expect their kids to just think the way they do, and get upset when they don't. Especially when it comes to fairy stories.

But it sounds like you have a middle ground case, they didn't take it great, but they didn't go totally mental. In extreme cases people are forced into church and relentlessly bullied until they "believe" again, or even disowned by families.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 14, 2015 at 3:04 am)Godschild Wrote: What was it you believed, you never said you were a Christian, being raised in a baptist church doesn't make one a Christian, it only makes you one of millions who were raised in a Baptist church. Do you know exactly what the scriptures teach, it sounds like you do not, or you wouldn't have had to argue with a friend about God, that would been something you would do with yourself if you knew what the scriptures said.

Welcome to the forum,

GC

Sorry for not being more clearer. For the longest time I was a Christian at heart, having believed what I heard in church and what not. What I mean about debates with the friend was more of him speaking his two cents on the matter that were just simply unarguable.

You are right of me not being completely familure with scripture, though I have read a good bit it at very least.

To be completely honest I probably just fallowed because I was never really taught anything else and felt it was right.

...then I grew up.
Yeah, you're gonna get told you "weren't a true Christian" quite a bit. Theists live and breathe logical fallacies. Fact is, the serious atheist has usually studied the bible longer and harder than the average christian. It's often the catalysing factor.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Christians are not perfect, many are terrible people. I think the same thing can be said for any group.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
@wolfclan96, how much does your family already know about your skepticism?
Can you simply keep your skepticism private?
Are you expected to attend church, donate money, etc. as an obligation of identifying as a Christian?

I'm trying to solve the same problem in my life. My mother and I went to a evening service at the Catholic church a week ago. That was my first time in church for several years, and I enjoyed it. Being a "cultural Christian" might work for me. Ironically church seems more tolerable when I expect nothing.
Quote:What was it you believed, you never said you were a Christian, being raised in a baptist church doesn't make one a Christian

If it smells like a skunk it's a skunk, G-C.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Natural family planning LinuxGal 75 7420 January 1, 2023 at 10:30 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Christian family fined after arguing taxes 'against God's will' zebo-the-fat 19 2107 July 23, 2019 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why does my family want me to be christian so much? Der/die AtheistIn 17 2780 March 29, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Disappointing my family Der/die AtheistIn 9 1766 December 23, 2017 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Mother Marches Through Target With Her Family To Protest Transgender Bathroom Policy" TubbyTubby 6 1679 May 17, 2016 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: abaris
  How would you suggest going about dealing with an ignorant extended family member GoHalos1993 21 3737 January 1, 2016 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Whoopi speaks out against the duggar family dyresand 49 11788 June 10, 2015 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  New result on Jesus family ossuaries watchamadoodle 20 4805 April 16, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Respecting Christian family and friends watchamadoodle 70 11790 December 17, 2014 at 9:48 am
Last Post: watchamadoodle
  Selling off the Family Silver Fidel_Castronaut 8 3912 July 31, 2014 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Dystopia