Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 4:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Wars has become the next General Hospital.
Star Wars has become the next General Hospital.
I and my two oldest sons saw it this past Thursday at 12:45 PM, and the theater was nearly packed for the daytime showing.  Other than a single scene (which, for the sake of spoilers, I'll describe later on), the film was a disappointment.  In Episode 6 (Return of the Jedi), the Empire had been soundly defeated, but in the next (#7), they had regrouped with hordes of troops and WMDs ("Weapons of Mass Destruction").  An episode later (this one), the Republic gets reduced to a dozen or so fighters on board a rusty, old ship.

What's up??  Is the Republic a bunch of incompetent boobs who can't govern?  Is that why no one shows-up to help them?  Geesh, they were in control of whole star systems with virtually unlimited resources and they couldn't get their act together?!

But, the "show" must go on, and parents like me will be pestered to keep watching (and, paying!)
RE: Star Wars has become the next General Hospital.
Sequels are where the money is.
The Church of the Jedi is outraged.
A little spoiler, but those who have not seen it have been warned.

And, the one good scene (at least for me), is when the lone female general went to light-speed straight through one of the main Imperial star destroyers. Very well done!
(December 30, 2017 at 4:27 pm)Jehanne Wrote: What's up??  Is the Republic a bunch of incompetent boobs who can't govern?  Is that why no one shows-up to help them?  Geesh, they were in control of whole star systems with virtually unlimited resources and they couldn't get their act together?!

Didn't they need to get to that planet first in order to call for help? I seem to remember something like that.
My point though is that if the Republic were so beloved within their Galaxy, how could the Empire ever been able to bounce back?  (I know, I know, it's just a story!  Albeit, a somewhat silly one.)
(December 30, 2017 at 6:43 pm)Jehanne Wrote: My point though is that if the Republic were so beloved within their Galaxy, how could the Empire ever been able to bounce back?  (I know, I know, it's just a story!  Albeit, a somewhat silly one.)

The Empire didn't bounce back. Snoke was another kettle of fish. The canon has alllll aboutttt itttt.  Dodgy
The death star was destroyed, and the emperor with it, at the end of episode 6.
The Empire remains as it pretty much was and was seemingly rebranded "New Order".
In 30 years, a new Sith Lord found his way to the top and got a new puppet.
All while building a new moon planet sized death star. Clearly, the resources remain abundant and centralized.

The rebels.... Seem to remain rebels.
For some reason, all the planets we visit lean more to the rebel side than to the Empire side, but that may be viewer bias.
The rebels seem to be simple pawns in the hands of the good old arms dealers, huh?
(December 30, 2017 at 5:25 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Sequels are where the money is.

Precisely.  If audiences are going to expect internal consistency (or even logic) from this cash cow, they're missing the point.  Once you put your bum in the seat, the Evil Empire has won.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
After the slop we watched as it was projected on a sheet hanging in the middle of the mess decks on a cruiser going through the Straits of Magellan in 1973 today's movies are a huge improvement.

The audience, not so much.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Now Next Foxaèr 25 2225 August 29, 2023 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Drag Race and Drag in General FrustratedFool 9 441 August 21, 2023 at 10:23 am
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Charles Bronson movie star Woah0 9 763 September 12, 2022 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Happy Star Wars Day onlinebiker 7 421 May 5, 2022 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: brewer
  How do you view humanity in general? Ahriman 73 4329 October 2, 2021 at 11:09 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  Your chance to see Melania standing next to a horse's ass...that isn't named Trump arewethereyet 8 674 November 24, 2020 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Become indistinguishable from a gangster Foxaèr 9 329 August 25, 2020 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Thumbs Up What next? onlinebiker 8 871 June 11, 2020 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Happy Star Wars Day onlinebiker 7 819 May 4, 2020 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Super Heroes, Star Wars and Star Trek is the worst entertainment made in US history Sanau 18 1706 March 30, 2020 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama