Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Debate me!
Debate me!
In an effort to make better use of the debate forum, which is about as tragically impoverished as a Somali orphan, I am extending a challenge to the members here.

Proposed debate:

Is belief in god reasonable?

Anyone interested in taking me up on this please step forward Smile
RE: Debate me!
Darn it, if I only had more time and more reliable access to a computer than I do, I'd surely take you up on this! No matter, though; I hope you get an interesting debate out of it, as I'm probably not the guy for the job anyway. Smile
No, I will not debate you! oh, that's an argument.
would you say it's not reasonable? I'll try, especially since I don't have an opinion at the moment. but I am probably not very good at debates.

I'd say it's reasonable because it can provide comfort. I mean not all gods/religions do, but I suppose a moderate amount. you know "god loves me" "he has a plan" essentially— everything will be okay. I don't know if that is reasonable. emotionally though, if they need something else to hold on to for hope.
I wouldn't say it's reasonably to believe if you fuck up and people who don't believe as you would go to a place of terrible pain after they die. That's not very hopeful.

Is it reasonable in a more scientific stance? probably not so much.

... I don't think that went very well. hopefully someone else will have something better to say.
[Image: siggy2_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]
I mean reasonable as in "Governed by or being in accordance with reason or sound thinking"

So no, "This belief makes me happy" does not make said belief reasonable.

Perhaps "Is belief in God justified" would be a less ambiguous way of putting it.

Anyway Cego, i'm looking for a formal, moderated debate, they used to happen in the debate section here Smile
"Is belief in God justified" - to whom? To you... no, to me... yes. To anyone potentially... yes. To anyone definitely... no. The crux of this question is the choice, and it therefore has to be a subsequent question to a first question of belief.
So, in other words, fr0d0, truth is relative. Either God exists, and there are good reasons for believing so, or he doesn't and there aren't.
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
(November 7, 2010 at 6:28 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: "Is belief in God justified" - to whom? To you... no, to me... yes. To anyone potentially... yes. To anyone definitely... no. The crux of this question is the choice, and it therefore has to be a subsequent question to a first question of belief.

Justified epsitemically. It's entirely impersonal.

There is no 'justified for me' or 'justified for you' any more than there is 'my logic' and 'your logic', it either is or it isn't.

Someone who argues that they have rational reasons for belief in God is essentially claiming that their belief is epistemically justified.
(November 7, 2010 at 6:48 pm)The Omnissiunt One Wrote: So, in other words, fr0d0, truth is relative. Either God exists, and there are good reasons for believing so, or he doesn't and there aren't.
That's a clever play on words but the simple truth is that we cannot know, and must choose. Believing either can be perfectly rational in my experience. Taking the stance that one isn't rational is akin to stating that you know beyond doubt what cannot reasonably be known.

@ VOID epistemic justification doesn't concern mainstream Christianity IMO.
That's perfectly true fr0d0, mainstream Christianity is intellectually inert, that's why i'm not interested in debating someone who thinks god is a useful warm and fuzzy feeling, but the philosophical theists who believe they have justification.

Also, saying 'Believing either can be perfectly rational in my experience' is in contradiction to your saying that your beliefs aren't epistemically justified. Rationality, like Justification and logic is not subjective or contingent, and a Rational belief (a belief that can be shown to be based on reason and logic) is epistemically justified, it's the exact same thing.
You make the mistake VOID of trying to force Christianity to be something it isn't. Christians stand waiting for you to address their subject and you insist on talking about something else.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free Will Debate Alan V 82 4560 November 27, 2021 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Debate Invitation John 6IX Breezy 3 677 September 1, 2019 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
Thumbs Up VOTE HERE: Final four questions for the Christian Debate vulcanlogician 43 4445 May 18, 2018 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  1st Call for Christian Only Debate: Our Role on AF Neo-Scholastic 132 16930 May 4, 2018 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Definitive Post On The Free Will v. Determinism Debate BrianSoddingBoru4 17 3211 September 3, 2016 at 11:20 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Debate Challenge TruthisGod 127 19628 November 20, 2015 at 2:13 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Hello, Anyone interested in a debate? Anima 355 79157 July 8, 2015 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: Anima
  Moral realism vs moral anti-realism debate is a moot point Pizza 1 1042 March 7, 2015 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Discussion on debate between Esquilax and His_Majesty. Esquilax 169 30676 November 16, 2014 at 2:43 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Can you help me debate better? Doggey75 20 3758 April 2, 2014 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: psychoslice