Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Unemployment Rate at Record Low
Black Unemployment Rate at Record Low
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/05/black-un...d-low.html

Quote:Unemployment among black workers is at its lowest since at least the early 1970s, when the government began tracking the data.

The black unemployment rate of 6.8 percent in December was the lowest since the Bureau of Labor Statistics started tracking it in 1972, a year in which the rate ranged from 11.2 percent to 9.4 percent. In the 45 years the data has been tracked, the unemployment rate for black or African-American workers aged 16 years and older has never fallen below 7 percent.
RE: Black Unemployment Rate at Record Low
(January 19, 2018 at 7:33 am)alpha male Wrote: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/05/black-un...d-low.html

Quote:Unemployment among black workers is at its lowest since at least the early 1970s, when the government began tracking the data.

The black unemployment rate of 6.8 percent in December was the lowest since the Bureau of Labor Statistics started tracking it in 1972, a year in which the rate ranged from 11.2 percent to 9.4 percent. In the 45 years the data has been tracked, the unemployment rate for black or African-American workers aged 16 years and older has never fallen below 7 percent.

Holy fuck, 45 HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE RECOVERY. That started 9 years ago.

And both blacks and whites in any case will be victims of the same FUCKING BUBBLE Bush Jr's policies lead to. 

45 only deserves credit for being a FUCKING ASSHOLE.
(January 19, 2018 at 7:33 am)alpha male Wrote: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/05/black-un...d-low.html

I am hesitant to put a lot of stock into unemployment data.  As I understand it, the methods they use to determine the unemployment rate under-represent the reality - for example not counting the under employed (those working part time hoping for full time) and does not count those who are not actively seeking work through a gov endorsed employment agency.

But as someone who floats through jobs on a regular basis - I love being a temp employee - things have gotten significantly better in the last 2-3 years.  Most temp jobs have increased the starting wage by 2-3 dollars an hour, employers are offering permanent jobs much more frequently, and I am able to negotiate hours/pay with much more leverage. 

For those who think Trump is not a factor in the current job situation, the company I am currently at has debated for the last 3 years on an expansion.  Once Trump was elected it was a go and we moved into a new building less than 1 month ago.  For this particular business, Trump was a significant factor in their taking the risk of new loans. 

Hate him or love him, his positions on many job related issues seems to be a positive for both company and worker, at least from my perspective as someone who works temp jobs.
Quote:2. "African Americans and Hispanics are enjoying the lowest unemployment rate in recorded history."

As we’ve reported, Trump is correct: African-American unemployment fell to 6.8 percent in December 2017 -- a record low since the statistic was first calculated in 1972.

That said, Trump had a head start thanks to Obama. Black unemployment peaked at 16.6 percent in April 2010, then fell by more than half to 7.8 percent by the time Obama left office in January 2017.

Politifact | Fact-checking Donald Trump's 'results' from his fake news awards
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(January 19, 2018 at 9:16 am)Jane2d Wrote:

I am hesitant to put a lot of stock into unemployment data.  As I understand it, the methods they use to determine the unemployment rate under-represent the reality - for example not counting the under employed (those working part time hoping for full time) and does not count those who are not actively seeking work through a gov endorsed employment agency.

But as someone who floats through jobs on a regular basis - I love being a temp employee - things have gotten significantly better in the last 2-3 years.  Most temp jobs have increased the starting wage by 2-3 dollars an hour, employers are offering permanent jobs much more frequently, and I am able to negotiate hours/pay with much more leverage. 

For those who think Trump is not a factor in the current job situation, the company I am currently at has debated for the last 3 years on an expansion.  Once Trump was elected it was a go and we moved into a new building less than 1 month ago.  For this particular business, Trump was a significant factor in their taking the risk of new loans. 

Hate him or love him, his positions on many job related issues seems to be a positive for both company and worker, at least from my perspective as someone who works temp jobs.

NO sorry,

We have seen the same BULLSHIT bait and switch failed trickle down since Reagan.

It is nothing but shallow feel good short term SHIT! It makes workers feel good SHORT TERM, it is great for investors, that bet on Wall Street like gambling addicts. It still remains LONG TERM it is a policy of letting the rich use everyone else as their poker chips. 

45 is only good for pandering hate, and sucking the dicks of Goldman Sachs and Exxon execs. The bottom 99% will pay in the end. 45 and today's GOP will make the Bush Jr crash look like a boom.
It'll be interesting to see how voters who aren't desperately trying to spin low unemployment, better pay, companies investing in the US, and a skyrocketing stock market as a bad thing react to all this in a couple years.
(January 19, 2018 at 9:49 am)wallym Wrote: It'll be interesting to see how voters who aren't desperately trying to spin low unemployment, better pay, companies investing in the US, and a skyrocketing stock market as a bad thing react to all this in a couple years.

DAMN, just like climate change deniers. We were WARNED by even 50 REPUBLICAN former Intel agents, LAST YEAR, what his presidency could do.

2 years is not 4 years, 4 years is not 8 years. THE BUSH CRASH did not happen overnight. THAT is what his supporters keep missing. The GOP excels at throwing just enough bait the party supporters focus on the shiny object, which is really just the same as the BULLSHIT "gold" painted tin coin scams they sell on TV.

Low unemployment DOES NOT MEAN SHIT if it is more part time, and STILL does not meet the cost of living. It only means MORE PROFIT for shareholders.
Post hoc ergo propter hoc

Must be nice to get a tailwind from your predecessor's economy, eh?
Regardless of how the credit is apportioned, let's be constructive and use unemployment data and the nations relaxation of cannabis laws to commute sentences of low level drug offenders (regardless of race) en masse, and restore voting rights too.

Good chance to re-habituate large numbers of prisoners here and I'd hate to see the chance not even fucking recognized through the miasma of the fucking political blame/credit haze and fog.

Lemons to lemonade opportunity here for a considerable number of inmates, let's jump on this !!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(January 19, 2018 at 10:06 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(January 19, 2018 at 9:49 am)wallym Wrote: It'll be interesting to see how voters who aren't desperately trying to spin low unemployment, better pay, companies investing in the US, and a skyrocketing stock market as a bad thing react to all this in a couple years.

DAMN, just like climate change deniers. We were WARNED by even 50 REPUBLICAN former Intel agents, LAST YEAR, what his presidency could do.

2 years is not 4 years, 4 years is not 8 years. THE BUSH CRASH did not happen overnight. THAT is what his supporters keep missing. The GOP excels at throwing just enough bait the party supporters focus on the shiny object, which is really just the same as the BULLSHIT "gold" painted tin coin scams they sell on TV.

Low unemployment DOES NOT MEAN SHIT if it is more part time, and STILL does not meet the cost of living. It only means MORE PROFIT for shareholders.

A few days after it was announced the country was in recession in '08 my idiot brother was talking about "Obama's Recession". When I explained that a recession was indicated by three quarters of slow or no growth his wife started saying "No politics!" Too bad for her we were in MY house.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Head of WHO plays the "Race Card." Can you guess if he's black looking? Duty 9 703 April 14, 2022 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Black/White people news thread for all news current, historical, or otherwise. Huggy Bear 77 3954 February 14, 2022 at 2:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Black Serial Killers Foxaèr 10 950 November 29, 2021 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: T.J.
  Jay Leno sets speed record onlinebiker 13 514 November 13, 2021 at 11:10 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  FB app hit by low ratings Foxaèr 3 580 June 10, 2021 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  100th Aniversery of the Black Wall Street Masacre. Brian37 8 538 May 28, 2021 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Louisiana cemetery 'sorry' after denying officer burial 'because he is black' zebo-the-fat 25 1503 January 31, 2021 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Black female Dr. dies of covid. Treatment in question. brewer 2 424 December 30, 2020 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Blexit Campaign - Black Exit from the US Democratic Party Duty 154 8628 November 8, 2020 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Armed Black Protesters March Through Confederate Park The Architect Of Fate 26 1645 July 16, 2020 at 11:46 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate