Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 10:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does religion exaplin wide spread poverty and suffereing?
How does religion exaplin wide spread poverty and suffereing?
In my other thread asking "how religion explains birth defects" godschild stated that....

(November 16, 2010 at 11:23 pm)Godschild Wrote: For years, 30 to be exact, I have asked God to help me choose a vehicle be it car or truck that would be nearly trouble free and He has. In those 30 years we have only had to purchase four vehicles and none of them has given us much of a problem.

Now, assuming that god did help him with his shrewd purchases and it wasn't just as a result of years of humans learning and mastering of engineering, how does religion explain why we have widespread poverty across the whole world and yet god has no problem ignoring all that and instead wastes his time going through Auto-Trader magazine to help believers in rich countries get a reliable 4x4?

Millions, if not billions of people are stuck in poverty and suffering, some very religious ones, who no doubt pray their whole lives to be free of all the suffering that surrounds them as a result of war or sickness...why does god ignore these prayers? Why can't he help them and yet finds the time to help with trivial matters such as car buying?

Is this another case of people being punished because of the sin they are born with due to the whole talking snake, apple, tree set up? Or are they part of gods plan? I'm sure the latter will be of great comfort to them while they struggle to find food and water for their next meal for them and their families. WHAT A PLAN!!!!

Discuss.
RE: How does religion exaplin wide spread poverty and suffereing?
There is only one answer: God is a troll.

[Image: 5165175447_38db662ece_z.jpg]

The most common theistic responses I've found to this dilemma is that without suffering, there would be no compassion. This is technically true, as compassion's literal meaning is "with suffering", but if there were no suffering, compassion wouldn't be required.

As far as God's divine hand deliberately helping others, in thriving societies where poverty and famine seems so far removed from the self it's easy to fail to consider them when processing the world around oneself. So while I can understand the desire to attribute positive outcomes to a higher authority, I've had the same thoughts as well, and could never manage to ignore them. I'm actually curious as to the religious responses.
"Faith is about taking a comforting, childlike view of a disturbing and complicated world." ~ Edward Current

[Image: Invisible_Pink_Unicorn_by_stampystampy.gif] [Image: 91b7ba0967f80c8c43c58fdf3fa0571a.gif] [Image: Secular_Humanist_by_MaruLovesStamps.gif]
(November 17, 2010 at 8:39 am)Skipper Wrote: In my other thread asking "how religion explains birth defects" godschild stated that....

(November 16, 2010 at 11:23 pm)Godschild Wrote: For years, 30 to be exact, I have asked God to help me choose a vehicle be it car or truck that would be nearly trouble free and He has. In those 30 years we have only had to purchase four vehicles and none of them has given us much of a problem.

I can top this! In another forum I saw a post from a believer that gave "God" credit for supplying her with cleaning supplies! She marveled at how she "never seemed to run out of paper towels!". So, apparently, this deity is too busy resupplying paper towels and helping folks get a good deal on a vehicle to help those who are blind, paralyzed, or living in poverty and starving.
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
Let's see....

God demands worship (likes to have his ego stroked. He's an Attention seeker).
God only helps those who are high up in society and ignores those on the bottom (SNOB!)
God doesn't like it when people lack belief in him, so he sends them to hell. It's his way or hell! (Dictator)
God does not forgive nor does he take responsibility for his creation. (Heartless and irresponsible)

Why?....Why is it that god has all the traits we humans have? Why does he behave so much like a human?
I think it's because humans created god and so god thinks and behaves like his creators (us).

If this god is real, then I can't really call him a god. Since he doesn't really behave like one. A being that supposedly smart enough and powerful enough to create the entire universe and to be that stupid at the same time makes me seriously doubt his existence. God (based on people's description of him) is a total faggot. A bully, dictator, snob, fool and heartless tyrant.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
That's easy. Free will.
That quote is priceless!

My atheist parents have only owned two cars in 30 years, God must love them more than you.
Religion has always had zero explanatory power. Just like Zeus never truly explained lightning, religion does not explain the universe.
The following is one of the best explanation that I've seen (according to the philosophy of Islam).

Suffering and Divine Wisdom:
http://www.shadhiliteachings.com/tariq/?...ticle&id=2
Quote:I have asked God to help me choose a vehicle be it car or truck that would be nearly trouble free and He has.

G-C is one fucked up duck...I have to say.

I attained the same level simply by avoiding domestically built pieces of shit. I'll take Nissan design and engineering over his silly, fucking, god any day of the week.

That's one of the lamest things I've ever read. Odin has made my Neon last 12 trouble-free years on the same engine & drive train, surely your weaksauce "God" can do better than that?

"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] What does religion have to offer? EgoDeath 53 5607 August 3, 2019 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Poverty and Theism Flavius 57 15689 April 25, 2017 at 9:56 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10713 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  End Poverty with Vocations?! TrueChristian 14 4690 January 20, 2016 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4905 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Spread This And Please Expose These Televanglists! MW85 29 4782 December 24, 2015 at 8:00 am
Last Post: MW85
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19809 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Does religion make armies stronger? Psychonaut 59 11522 August 7, 2015 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Does religion produce unique sensations? Dystopia 48 6466 July 11, 2015 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  How religion spread across the world: Map Timelapse Napoléon 40 7429 July 10, 2015 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Iroscato